The Head Coach Hated Me

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
All of this may/may not be true about CPJ. It's interesting. At the end of the day, our biggest problem now is not attitude but that we just don't have the jimmy's and joe's. How many players have we had drafted recently or made it in the NFL as a free agent compared to Clemson? A kicker who is great and maybe a few others who are playing on the margin but that's about it. The 14 team may not have great players but they had Mason, Days, Laskey. Perkins, Smelter, Waller, DJ White, Milton plus others and almost forgot JT.
Well, there is this fellow -- what's his name again? Played somewhere in the offensive line. Supposed to have signed a $50 million contract with more than $20 million guaranteed ... and a $12 million signing bonus. Plays with New England I think. What was his name again? Mason? I surely thought when he was at old GT University that he was a great player. Apparently not.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Certainly. All I’m saying is that if Joe hated Sewak and CPJ as much as you claim, he could’ve just stayed at FIU, under a coach (Butch Davis) who has a lot of connections and a team which had a winning record last season.

GT > FIU resume wise. Also please quote where I said anyone hates any coach? Also a GA role is quite different and better than Quality Control. QC = no contact with players in a coaching capacity. While GA's run drills along side coaches

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
And I am not denying that. But whether at Tech or at any other school, unless the coach or his staff are total bums, such behavior in the locker rooms is generally due to a lack of real team leadership. I think we had that kind of leadership in 2014 and probably some, if not all, of the years prior to 2014. But I sure haven't seen any semblance of real team leadership since then, either on or off the field.

You’re not always going to have great leadership on the team. The leaders on the team in 2014 (Perk, Deon, Quayshaun, DJ, etc. etc. etc. ) would be successful in every locker room, we just were lucky they were all on our side that year.

It’s the years where we don’t have a great leader that they need to be able to look to their coach, and that doesn’t happen here.

I know personally 2014 was a lot different than 2013 leadership-wise.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Certainly. All I’m saying is that if Joe hated Sewak and CPJ as much as you claim, he could’ve just stayed at FIU, under a coach (Butch Davis) who has a lot of connections and a team which had a winning record last season.
Yeah, ol' But has connections. To at least one outlaw recruiter and former Okie coach who is as dirty as a coalminer, and got UNC into football trouble it still hasn't recovered from. Right. Ol' Butch. We in NC know him well. Play Monty Python, and run away, run away.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You’re not always going to have great leadership on the team. The leaders on the team in 2014 (Perk, Deon, Quayshaun, DJ, etc. etc. etc. ) would be successful in every locker room, we just were lucky they were all on our side that year.

It’s the years where we don’t have a great leader that they need to be able to look to their coach, and that doesn’t happen here.

I know personally 2014 was a lot different than 2013 leadership-wise.
2015, too.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Our coach gets on the hot seat(rightfully so) and all of a sudden a former player signs up on the forum and only posts in one thread to talk s**t about the coach. Interesting timing. It could happen, but I’m a skeptic.

I am waiting to be verified. Will let you know when I am "legit". I have been very careful to avoid 'talking ****'. I have nothing but excellent memories from my times on the Flats.

Valid criticism is not the same as talking ****. As most of us are pretty successful guys in the real world, that should be something that is familiar in the work place.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Sure but look at all the previous situations. GSU players love PJ bc he won them natty's. Navy players love him because he turned around their program. Why should GT players love PJ in the same way? Apart from one great year that was basically coached by the sr.'s in 2014 its been a lot of s****

PJ had a lot of attitudes to adjust when he got to Navy.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, there is this fellow -- what's his name again? Played somewhere in the offensive line. Supposed to have signed a $50 million contract with more than $20 million guaranteed ... and a $12 million signing bonus. Plays with New England I think. What was his name again? Mason? I surely thought when he was at old GT University that he was a great player. Apparently not,.

I mentioned him - but what year did he graduate? 2014 - which I considered a while back. He is a great player but look at the lists on ESPN. Clemson dwarfs us.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson dwarfs us? It would be a startling surprise if Clemson doesn't. I think that would fit the definition of news.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Who cares if the players like him?

CPJ has no contract incentives to beat ugag. Maybe he does for having his players like him.

Back in the 80's did business with a former GT All American who could not stand Dodd (shocking I know). Felt like he could never get a straight answer.

Once had a, now deceased, former ugag All American in our regular golf group. Guy could not stand Dooley, And believe it or not, hated Munson!

A kid that went to H.S. with our kids got a ship to bama. Said bryant was the meanest s.o.b. he ever met. Treated them like animals, But his word was Gold.

What he told him was guaranteed true. Loved the guy.

So j don't care if the players love or hate the coach.

The coaches main job is to win, or at least coach in a competent way with more than his ego on the line.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I've talked to a good number of players over the years. To be honest the only ones i've heard that had anything negative to say about johnson were players who played for gailey then johnson. Johnson was a bit more of a disciplinarian. He forced them to go to class etc Gailey was much looser with this ( and it showed with our first apr report). I can see the difference too. if you started off playing say 3 years under gailey who did in fact treat his players like they were already nfl players ( it was on them to do the right thing etc) and you have to play your last year or 2 under a guy who is trying to instill some naval academy style discipline that would be a major shock.
I don't know how it was to play for Coach Curry, but it was similar for a lot of those guys when Bobby Ross came in. For a season or two it was essentially a crisis situation, with pockets of open hostility towards coach Ross and his staff. For what it's worth, a friend of mine flew Citations for a charter company in Atlanta. He flew coach Johnson around on a few recruiting trips and liked him very much. He said he was incredibly funny in his dry, sardonic way, and a nice man to boot. I also know a young man who played at Navy under Coach Johnson, and he told me he enjoyed playing for him.

I don't know how it was to play for Coach Curry, but it was similar for a lot of those guys when Bobby Ross came in. For a season or two it was essentially a crisis situation, with pockets of open hostility towards coach Ross and his staff. For what it's worth, a friend of mine flew Citations for a charter company in Atlanta. He flew coach Johnson around on a few recruiting trips and liked him very much. He said he was incredibly funny in his dry, sardonic way, and a nice man to boot. I also know a young man who played at Navy under Coach Johnson, and he told me he enjoyed playing for him.
I remember Ross's first couple of years, and there was definitely some kind of problem. Your explanation makes complete sense to me.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
So, where does the “feels like family” that so many recruits mention come from?
No one spends $1000 on an iPhone and starts evaluating it in a completely unbiased manner. There’s good psychological reasons why Apple fans excuse Apple’s screw ups (you’re holding it wrong) precisely because they have invested so much money on it.

The same thing applies to college players, but to an even greater degree, because they have invested far more than just a few dollars. And their decision is far more irreversible than buying a phone.

I’m not saying that CPJ’s players do not like him. I don’t know anything on the inside to speak either way. I’m just pointing out that “his players like him” does not mean much at all. As an example, there have been some terrible coaches in CFB. How many times have you heard about players saying they don’t like their coaches? Actually a few players complained about the extreme physical activities they were being made to do for the first time and it was huge news precisely because of how rare it is.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
No one spends $1000 on an iPhone and starts evaluating it in a completely unbiased manner. There’s good psychological reasons why Apple fans excuse Apple’s screw ups (you’re holding it wrong) precisely because they have invested so much money on it.

The same thing applies to college players, but to an even greater degree, because they have invested far more than just a few dollars. And their decision is far more irreversible than buying a phone.

I’m not saying that CPJ’s players do not like him. I don’t know anything on the inside to speak either way. I’m just pointing out that “his players like him” does not mean much at all. As an example, there have been some terrible coaches in CFB. How many times have you heard about players saying they don’t like their coaches? Actually a few players complained about the extreme physical activities they were being made to do for the first time and it was huge news precisely because of how rare it is.

I was referring to when recruits come on visits and make this comment. This is before they have committed.