The Head Coach Hated Me

LibertyTurns

Banned
This all boils down to you can be a big **** as long as you’re winning. Start losing and every flaw or anything else anyone dislikes is going to be cited as the reason for your troubles.

If you don’t think CPJ can be stubborn in his play calling the you haven’t watched him very much. At a minimum once a game he calls back to back plays of the same call where it was stuffed the first go around. If he thinks it’s there he is going to keep calling, be fanned it the results change his mind.

I think he only really does this if our guys screwed something up in the execution that he knows can easily be fixed and won't necessarily happen again. It seems that more often than not, the second time is successful.

I actually like how there are times where he'll stick with what's working. What gets me is when he (for no apparent reason) goes away from that. See the USF game with Tobias Oliver for example.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Always going to be a mixed bag with any coach. I also know some guys who have played for CPJ. They personally love him, but have told me about others that just didn't mix with his personality. More often than not that stuff probably comes down to playing time, but I am sure there are some starters that have their own issues with CPJ and bench players that love him. I think you can find anecdotal evidence on either side for every coach. Heck, ol' Bobby Knight has a lot of former players that swear by him, while there have been a couple Duke players transfer recently while speaking very poorly of Coach K.

It will never be said to a fan but CPJ is not well liked by players past and present. Including those that won an OB with him.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It will never be said to a fan but CPJ is not well liked by players past and present. Including those that won an OB with him.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta give you credit for your first post you did an amazingly bad job. SO all those SAs that have publicly and privately relayed their admiration and support of PJ are ALL lying? Got it!

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta give you credit for your first post you did an amazingly bad job. SO all those SAs that have publicly and privately relayed their admiration and support of PJ are ALL lying? Got it!
Exactly, from all i can see the players like CPJ. His problems arent with players it is his coaching .

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
his play calling was a bit stubborn at times
For all of his strengths as an offensive coordinator this is very true and by far his biggest weakness. It has cost us several games in the past ten years and probably could have cost us a few more that come to mind. It's almost like he gets pissed off when something didn't work like it was supposed to and decides to try it again.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
For all of his strengths as an offensive coordinator this is very true and by far his biggest weakness. It has cost us several games in the past ten years and probably could have cost us a few more that come to mind. It's almost like he gets pissed off when something didn't work like it was supposed to and decides to try it again.
That's two posts on this supposed stubbornness. The "problem" stems from how the offense works. We run very few plays in comparison to many other teams. That's how everybody has a pretty good idea of what we are going to run in particular situations. That doesn't seem to help them much, however. Why?

Because the plays are blocked differently in response to the way the D is playing. The "same play" can be run with several different blocking schemes; the first might not be successful, the next one will be. Same goes with the passing game. If a play is open and we miss the pass but the D is still playing the formation that made the pass open, then throw it again. You may remember this sequence in the 2014 Ugag game with the back to back passes to Searcy.

It isn't "stubbornness"; it's how the O works. Oth, we don't always succeed; hence the discontent. I'd be a lot more worried about things like the fake kick. Sometimes Coach is a bit too risk acceptance, but that's him all over.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I am waiting to be a verified athlete...how much proof do you need? I loved my time playing for the jackets. No better 4 years. But lets not pretend CPJ is well liked by his players. Major generational and attitudinal differences. We played for each other not Paul or Roof.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I am waiting to be a verified athlete...how much proof do you need? I loved my time playing for the jackets. No better 4 years. But lets not pretend CPJ is well liked by his players. Major generational and attitudinal differences. We played for each other not Paul or Roof.
I get this, but let’s no act like this is for every single player. Many have already disproven this, and as someone else said this isn’t just for GT, you can look at pretty much every coach and find people on both sides of the fence.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I get this, but let’s no act like this is for every single player. Many have already disproven this, and as someone else said this isn’t just for GT, you can look at pretty much every coach and find people on both sides of the fence.

Sure but look at all the previous situations. GSU players love PJ bc he won them natty's. Navy players love him because he turned around their program. Why should GT players love PJ in the same way? Apart from one great year that was basically coached by the sr.'s in 2014 its been a lot of s****

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Think of it like a corporation: There are a hundred employees with roughly 25% turnover each year, some people won't get promotions they insist they deserve, some will quit for other jobs, some will be fired for breaking the rules, some will prosper and become leaders, etc. So ALL of those people will LOVE the boss?

There will be differing buckets of experiences, most likely influenced by shared success (or lack of it) and how a person felt about their role in what happened during the tenure. Can pretty much guarantee the most bitter will blame everyone but themselves. It's the way of the world.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Think of it like a corporation: There are a hundred employees with roughly 25% turnover each year, some people won't get promotions they insist they deserve, some will quit for other jobs, some will be fired for breaking the rules, some will prosper and become leaders, etc. So ALL of those people will LOVE the boss?

There will be differing buckets of experiences, most likely influenced by shared success (or lack of it) and how a person felt about their role in what happened during the tenure. Can pretty much guarantee the most bitter will blame everyone but themselves. It's the way of the world.

I mean we can agree to disagree here. I just don't like this notion that Paul is some well-loved guy. Generally disingenuous. Also no need to act like sour grapes over playing determines how people like him. Lets just say he is not buddy buddy with the guys in the league like Dabo or Saban would be

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Sure but look at all the previous situations. GSU players love PJ bc he won them natty's. Navy players love him because he turned around their program. Why should GT players love PJ in the same way? Apart from one great year that was basically coached by the sr.'s in 2014 its been a lot of s****
So you like someone based on wins and losses? That’s just silly imo. And besides 2014 it’s been crap? That’s just a false statement, you win 8 plus game at GT and that’s pretty good, which has been done many times. 2 orange bowl wins, multiple costal championships and multiple ACCCG appearances is not a bad thing. Maybe you should look at the resources, and if you played at GT you would know they are awful. Or how about comparing GT with what other programs around the nation are doing instead of an exspectation you have. Fact is, not many teams have had the success GT has had under CPJ. And did the players in 2014 call the plays? And make the substitutions? I get you might not like him, and that’s fine, but it’s been said that guys at GT have and do like him. Are you going to ignore what he’s done for Ratliffe and Gray? Or how about the stories of him staying in contact with players after they are gone and how he’s helped and checked in on guys after they were gone? Is that not more important than W’s and L’s?of course we all have our opinions so no big deal really.

BTW: do you want to be unknown?

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I mean we can agree to disagree here. I just don't like this notion that Paul is some well-loved guy. Generally disingenuous. Also no need to act like sour grapes over playing determines how people like him. Lets just say he is not buddy buddy with the guys in the league like Dabo or Saban would be

I'm extrapolating to the relationship between coaches and players in general. It's pretty hard to be loved and revered by everyone when you're in a position where tough decisions have to be made. I'd argue that "guys in the league" are a different animal. It's probably the guys that aren't in the league that need a head coach who has their back after they finish their eligibility. What former CPJ players (one of the guys was a walkon) have said to me about how he's helped them speaks volumes to me.

Sure it's not the same for every player, and no doubt that there are former players he (or a coach) doesn't like. I've had former employees of mine ask for a reference, and the last thing I wanted to do was put my name on the line for them. That's the real world.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t think CPJ can be stubborn in his play calling the you haven’t watched him very much. At a minimum once a game he calls back to back plays of the same call where it was stuffed the first go around. If he thinks it’s there he is going to keep calling, be fanned it the results change his mind.

In his defense, sometimes it does work. In 2016 against UGA, he called the same pass play twice in a row and both went for big plays. Thomas hit Stewart the first time and CPJ noticed Searcy was wide open, so he called it again and Thomas hit Searcy. We scored a few plays later to make it 27-21 and then of course you know the rest.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I would've thought PR 101 would be to not air internal dirty laundry in a public forum no matter how obscure you try to make it.

Also not sure how he came to this conclusion in the tweet in the original post:
So in perspective: a head football coach is the most important human being at a university.
Didn't see the Urban Meyer interview the tweet is replying to, did Urban force the OSU President to approve keeping his troubled employee around? I can't imagine that. I would say HC at a school like OSU is one of the most influential people in the athletics department only, not the entire university.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
So you like someone based on wins and losses? That’s just silly imo. And besides 2014 it’s been crap? That’s just a false statement, you win 8 plus game at GT and that’s pretty good, which has been done many times. 2 orange bowl wins, multiple costal championships and multiple ACCCG appearances is not a bad thing. Maybe you should look at the resources, and if you played at GT you would know they are awful. Or how about comparing GT with what other programs around the nation are doing instead of an exspectation you have. Fact is, not many teams have had the success GT has had under CPJ. And did the players in 2014 call the plays? And make the substitutions? I get you might not like him, and that’s fine, but it’s been said that guys at GT have and do like him. Are you going to ignore what he’s done for Ratliffe and Gray? Or how about the stories of him staying in contact with players after they are gone and how he’s helped and checked in on guys after they were gone? Is that not more important than W’s and L’s?of course we all have our opinions so no big deal really.

BTW: do you want to be unknown?

I would prefer to be unknown since a lot of this isn't the rosy view most fans have. Sure what he did for AJ and Jalen are great. But that does not change the fact the he is often at odds with the locker room for most of his time here. that's all i have to say about this. I will be there loud and proud on Saturday so please don't characterize me as some bitter whiner like i am sure plenty of you imagine

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would prefer to be unknown since a lot of this isn't the rosy view most fans have. Sure what he did for AJ and Jalen are great. But that does not change the fact the he is often at odds with the locker room for most of his time here. that's all i have to say about this. I will be there loud and proud on Saturday so please don't characterize me as some bitter whiner like i am sure plenty of you imagine
Don’t see that at all. I’m glad you still support the team.