The "Collins effect "........

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
APR didn't exist in those days. All the player had to do was keep his GPA over a 2.0 and he was eligible until he used his 4 years. We had guys who used their eligibility up and were no where close to graduating; not what we want from our student athletes but it was real. How many of the stars from O'Leary's classes actually got degrees?

Today, a kid has to pick a major and actually make progress towards his degree in order to stay eligible. Back when Ross, BL and O'Leary were here, the kid had to pass the easiest classes in the entire school for 4 years and then he was done whether he got a degree or not. Some good players came through thinking they were NFL bound and were good players, but today's world is different than it was back in early Chan days and back.

It doesn't feed some narratives on here, but it's real.
Thank you for reminding us all over again why things changed once academic progress became the rule. Some may think we are engaging in group think but that is because they disagree with a growing consensus about how academic realities make recruiting a challenge.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Madison, you have some valid points. However, when it comes to academic exceptions, the Walmart training center in Athens isn’t the only school that uses them that we are competing against. You would also have to look at Miami, Florida State, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, and pretty much every other P5 school out there with only a couple of exceptions.

Having said that, I will admit to all that I am a CPJ fan and think he did a good job at GT and will be missed. However, I am also excited about the direction the program is heading under CGC and look forward to next year. I am not taking a stance of I will wait and see. I will be optimistic and supporting the team no matter what, and I’m just a lowly sidewalk fan. Just because you are CPJ fan doesn’t mean you’re not a CGC supporter as well.
Exactly this.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If David Curry s has a team I bet on him - He has transformed his body and will shame them.
ALSO- YOU GUYS - A CLEAN PLATE IS A HAPPY PLATE. (Joke)

Wow, the fan recruiting keeps on coming!!!!.

Curry is pretty much unchanged physically since Detroit. I’m hoping the new staff can help him succeed at a high level but he kinda disappeared at times after mid season.

New year, new opportunities.

Edit: be careful not to give the SnC staff any credit for player improvements in size, speed, etc. Doesn’t fit the group think narratives.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Rumor has it Collins’ new staff has some serious recruiting activity going on ... in a good way.

Update tomorrow.
Well crap this is like watching TV and a commercial for the local news comes on and they watch the 11 o'clock News to fine out which subdivision in Cherokee county be hit with a tornado around 9 pm tonight.

Animal02

Banned
Almost every Tech fan knows the academic factors we're up against. Tougher school. No lib arts majors. We all know, except for maybe someone who JUST started following the team. So why do they need to be brought up ad nauseum as excuses why we CAN'T achieve better consistency as a winning program? I thought Tech was a place that taught you to suck it up and quit making excuses? Fewer academic exceptions than UGAg doesn't mean we are forced to pick from a pool of recruits 3 standard deviations above the mean for academic qualifications. While we get poached by higher profile academic schools like Notre Dame and Stanford, we've been poaching UCF, Western Kentucky and Louisiana-Lafayette for players. Let's be real. Those schools aren't bastions of the student-athlete ideal. And before any of you get upset saying "He's crossed the red line, boys! He's criticizing players", I know nothing about the individual academic qualifications of those recruits and don't profess to. The point is we aren't confined to competing with Harvard and Yale only for recruits. Or even Vanderbilt and Northwestern, for that matter. And all our players are great, great, great, no matter their recruiting rankings. Happy?
One again.....in.order to support the narrative you ignore the elephant in the room. It is NOT academic qualification. The first and foremost is the limited number of majors......approximately 35 the last time I checked. Hate to break it to you, but the vast majority of kid DO NOT want to major in engineering or management. Second major factor is academic rigor.....kids don't want to "play school" nor take calculus. Ignore those FACTS all you want.....it won't change the reality

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
One again.....in.order to support the narrative you ignore the elephant in the room. It is NOT academic qualification. The first and foremost is the limited number of majors......approximately 35 the last time I checked. Hate to break it to you, but the vast majority of kid DO NOT want to major in engineering or management. Second major factor is academic rigor.....kids don't want to "play school" nor take calculus. Ignore those FACTS all you want.....it won't change the reality

Collins is about to blow your theory out of the water

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
Hate to break it to you, but the vast majority of kid DO NOT want to major in engineering or management.

Do you actually believe the only majors available at Tech are engineering or management (or CS, architecture, sciences)?? Serious question.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Do you actually believe the only majors available at Tech are engineering or management (or CS, architecture, sciences)?? Serious question.

Actually , I suggest u visit the University of texas football roster.

Then sort by class and look at the seniors.

Only 2 engineers and a philosophy guy. The rest are social studies w a specific tag like Communications, community relations., sports management, etc.

Do we have degrees like these?? I dont know.
The biggest problem really is lack of flexibility.

We will need to recruit our u know what's off to talk these guys into gt. Some probably could come and take our business and other degree.

We will have to search far and wide.

Animal02

Banned
Sure, there is a few others SCIENCE degrees offered....Math, biology, psychology.....Do you really believe that these limited majors appeal to the majority of potential recruits. I can tell from my experience years ago, having a recruiter tell me to change my intended major in order to play football at their school was a huge turnoff.

Animal02

Banned
Actually , I suggest u visit the University of texas football roster.

Then sort by class and look at the seniors.

Only 2 engineers and a philosophy guy. The rest are social studies w a specific tag like Communications, community relations., sports management, etc.

Do we have degrees like these?? I dont know.
The biggest problem really is lack of flexibility.

We will need to recruit our u know what's off to talk these guys into gt. Some probably could come and take our business and other degree.

We will have to search far and wide.
There are three types of recruits.....those that are almost assured of making the NFL, those that might, and those that won't but are still good enough to play D1 ball.
The first group for the most part are going to look to coast until they can get their paycheck. The latter two groups are the ones that may have interest in Tech. The question is how much time do you spend trying to convince them to major in what Tech offers if they are interested in some thing else.....vs trying to find the ones that want what Tech offers?

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
If David Curry s has a team I bet on him - He has transformed his body and will shame them.
ALSO- YOU GUYS - A CLEAN PLATE IS A HAPPY PLATE. (Joke)

Wow, the fan recruiting keeps on coming!!!!.

Can someone tell us who the guys are pictured? I know several but some faces I don’t recognize.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
From left to right: Curry, not sure but he's a big dude, Cottrell, Glanton?, Tre Swilling, Adams, Juanyeh, Tobias, Carpenter, Lucas, not sure, Parker B.