The "Collins effect "........

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
There are three types of recruits.....those that are almost assured of making the NFL, those that might, and those that won't but are still good enough to play D1 ball.
The first group for the most part are going to look to coast until they can get their paycheck. The latter two groups are the ones that may have interest in Tech. The question is how much time do you spend trying to convince them to major in what Tech offers if they are interested in some thing else.....vs trying to find the ones that want what Tech offers?

I see things differently. There's talent and there's character. There's a correlation for sure but far from a strict correspondence. The very top of the talent list are more likely than not to make an NFL roster. Sounds great, but still a large % don't because of misevaluation, lack of development, off-field issues, injury, etc. Those that do aren't guaranteed a big long-term contract. Plenty often they'll be mid-late draft picks and might make a reasonable initial paycheck but fail to stick around. And in that case you have to be pretty wise to protect yourself financially. We see a lot of people blowing cash, unable to say no to family who comes out of the woodwork for a handout, or getting suckered into scams or just bad investments. Others whose identity requires being a star and just can't cope with life after their prime. The NFL destroys your body and requires that you make big changes or keep up with really intense routines to be basically physically fit afterward. And tons of people don't keep their nose clean with the law or with drugs. In the NFL the very elite guys can possibly weather that, but even that level of support is waning.

So I'd sort things out first by character.

On one end are the guys who think they are stars. In their mind they are going to rock it in the NFL guaranteed and have no genuine interest in studying or learning financial skills. You can give them all the reality you want about their likelihood of success (or failure), but it goes in one ear and out the other. If they can't see it applying to them, it doesn't matter what you say. These are the guys who either make it or fall hard. And they are well represented across the talent spectrum -- not just at the top. They're not coming to GT no matter who we have running the program. They'll always find someone who will fluff them up and stoke that ego and likely drop them like a rock the second they are no longer useful to them. We're not going to sell them that, and we really aren't the best place to offer fluff anyway.

On the other end are guys whose character are going to make them successes anywhere. They're realistic about their odds and will know that even if they are the best talent ever something can easily happen and take that opportunity away from them. They'll make themselves successful. Honestly they don't need GT. They'll find what they need anywhere. GT might offer more to them, and we should go after these guys if they have the talent we need, but they might just as well end up at their local school to be close to home or somewhere where they have a friend or like the style of play or the degree they offer better. When they have the best talent, these are guys like Calvin. A rare breed. But Calvin wasn't going to GT if he was from Texas. And he would have done just fine if he chose the cesspool instead of us. I'm glad he picked us. We had what he wanted, but we can't expect that to be true for everyone.

Then there's all the folks somewhere in the middle. These are represented across the spectrum as well. These are the guys we are gearing up to get and are the guys who would get the most out of the program. We're building something that hopefully presents the best development for the NFL or at least will be high on that list. And we're going to give them the academic challenge, the financial awareness, the character support, the relationships, etc. that will make them successful and things they won't have everywhere unless it was already embedded in them. These guys take some work to block out the fluffers, but there's enough of them in our back yard to build a much more talented roster than we've had.

We're not gonna be Bama. We can't just stuff ourselves with top talent and weed out the bad apples and sustain ourselves off a successful reputation to take attention away from all the people that have failed. The good news is, even if you do that and bring in the top talent, it's hard to sustain success. UF went through it for a bit and look to be getting back to the top. FSU is in shambles. Notre Dame almost fell apart. Bama has been bad before. Etc. I see a lot of signals that UGA might be due for a fall, but who knows. Having the talent is no guarantee, but having enough is necessary. I'd rather have the guys with better character. They make better teammates and are better people to be proud of. There are those guys in the 5* and 4* ranks that we can land. There will be a lot of competition, though.

Animal02

Banned
I see things differently. There's talent and there's character. There's a correlation for sure but far from a strict correspondence. The very top of the talent list are more likely than not to make an NFL roster. Sounds great, but still a large % don't because of misevaluation, lack of development, off-field issues, injury, etc. Those that do aren't guaranteed a big long-term contract. Plenty often they'll be mid-late draft picks and might make a reasonable initial paycheck but fail to stick around. And in that case you have to be pretty wise to protect yourself financially. We see a lot of people blowing cash, unable to say no to family who comes out of the woodwork for a handout, or getting suckered into scams or just bad investments. Others whose identity requires being a star and just can't cope with life after their prime. The NFL destroys your body and requires that you make big changes or keep up with really intense routines to be basically physically fit afterward. And tons of people don't keep their nose clean with the law or with drugs. In the NFL the very elite guys can possibly weather that, but even that level of support is waning.

So I'd sort things out first by character.

On one end are the guys who think they are stars. In their mind they are going to rock it in the NFL guaranteed and have no genuine interest in studying or learning financial skills. You can give them all the reality you want about their likelihood of success (or failure), but it goes in one ear and out the other. If they can't see it applying to them, it doesn't matter what you say. These are the guys who either make it or fall hard. And they are well represented across the talent spectrum -- not just at the top. They're not coming to GT no matter who we have running the program. They'll always find someone who will fluff them up and stoke that ego and likely drop them like a rock the second they are no longer useful to them. We're not going to sell them that, and we really aren't the best place to offer fluff anyway.

On the other end are guys whose character are going to make them successes anywhere. They're realistic about their odds and will know that even if they are the best talent ever something can easily happen and take that opportunity away from them. They'll make themselves successful. Honestly they don't need GT. They'll find what they need anywhere. GT might offer more to them, and we should go after these guys if they have the talent we need, but they might just as well end up at their local school to be close to home or somewhere where they have a friend or like the style of play or the degree they offer better. When they have the best talent, these are guys like Calvin. A rare breed. But Calvin wasn't going to GT if he was from Texas. And he would have done just fine if he chose the cesspool instead of us. I'm glad he picked us. We had what he wanted, but we can't expect that to be true for everyone.

Then there's all the folks somewhere in the middle. These are represented across the spectrum as well. These are the guys we are gearing up to get and are the guys who would get the most out of the program. We're building something that hopefully presents the best development for the NFL or at least will be high on that list. And we're going to give them the academic challenge, the financial awareness, the character support, the relationships, etc. that will make them successful and things they won't have everywhere unless it was already embedded in them. These guys take some work to block out the fluffers, but there's enough of them in our back yard to build a much more talented roster than we've had.

We're not gonna be Bama. We can't just stuff ourselves with top talent and weed out the bad apples and sustain ourselves off a successful reputation to take attention away from all the people that have failed. The good news is, even if you do that and bring in the top talent, it's hard to sustain success. UF went through it for a bit and look to be getting back to the top. FSU is in shambles. Notre Dame almost fell apart. Bama has been bad before. Etc. I see a lot of signals that UGA might be due for a fall, but who knows. Having the talent is no guarantee, but having enough is necessary. I'd rather have the guys with better character. They make better teammates and are better people to be proud of. There are those guys in the 5* and 4* ranks that we can land. There will be a lot of competition, though.
Almost completely agree.......except that I think chasing the 5*s would be a very poor rerure on investment. They are the ones most likely to have everyone from family to agents whispering in their ears. Look at Vlad Lee, and he wasn't even at that level. The 4*s will be difficult enough.....finding ones that want what Tech has to offer.....IMO, the biggest hurdle in recruiting.....they are out there but far flung and it will take lots of resources to find them.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I agree for the most part with both YJMD and Animal above.

It appears to me that CGC is going to try to greatly improve GT’s football “brand” through a relentless campaign of advertising and marketing, with much of it pursued through a variety of social media platforms, in order to try to land more 4-star and 5-star recruits.

Or perhaps a more realistic goal would be to try to land many more of the “higher-end 3-star” recruits. For example, recruits who possess “3.5 to 3.9” talent. Is something like this possible? Perhaps ...

We will see if it works consistently with 8- to 10-win seasons across the board over the next 3 to 5 years.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
I agree for the most part with both YJMD and Animal above.

It appears to me that CGC is going to try to greatly improve GT’s football “brand” through a relentless campaign of advertising and marketing, with much of it pursued through a variety of social media platforms, in order to try to land more 4-star and 5-star recruits.

We will see if it works consistently with 8- to 10-win seasons across the board over the next 3 to 5 years.
It is not just recruiting though....or FSU would be the national champions. Game time coaching is key, and pertaining to character.....keeping them in school and meeting the APR., as well as maintaining grad rates, which will be critical to recruiting.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It is not just recruiting though....or FSU would be the national champions. Game time coaching is key, and pertaining to character.....keeping them in school and meeting the APR., as well as maintaining grad rates, which will be critical to recruiting.

I agree 100% with you on this.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Curry is pretty much unchanged physically since Detroit. I’m hoping the new staff can help him succeed at a high level but he kinda disappeared at times after mid season.

New year, new opportunities.

Edit: be careful not to give the SnC staff any credit for player improvements in size, speed, etc. Doesn’t fit the group think narratives.

Imo, sisk is getting a bad rap but I am sure the new guy will do a good job.

I zhould have said sisk and curry transformed curry 's body.

Imo, CURRY and brant needed to see the play before its past them. No matter how strong or fast , if you engage a blocker with head on away side, you can only make contact with your hands as runner goes past u. Easy to see in stands, hard to see field level.

Maybe they were coached to see, but cant. I like curry as a player and hope he can help this year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Rumor has it Collins’ new staff has some serious recruiting activity going on ... in a good way.

Update tomorrow.
200w.gif

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Almost completely agree.......except that I think chasing the 5*s would be a very poor rerure on investment. They are the ones most likely to have everyone from family to agents whispering in their ears. Look at Vlad Lee, and he wasn't even at that level. The 4*s will be difficult enough.....finding ones that want what Tech has to offer.....IMO, the biggest hurdle in recruiting.....they are out there but far flung and it will take lots of resources to find them.

Totally agree - in next 4 years 5 stars are a waste of time for gt . We are a lower p5 team and only a gt crazy 5* will come.

The smart phone is everywhere.
It's getting more powerful.
(If made w 1960 tech, a smart phone would consume 1.5 the energy consumed in usa.)

We will do academic and athlete data searches. We must start early so recruit can start taking AP classes in sr yr. (Grad rate). Preliminary interest via web to coaches - for screening- then use social media to let them twitter follow thier position coach. Then recruits and players follow?

I think a key to gt recruiting is to get a steady stream of 3* ol and dt guys to come for 5 years. Need a great ATL intern program w pipeline to great jobs.

Animal02

Banned
Totally agree - in next 4 years 5 stars are a waste of time for gt . We are a lower p5 team and only a gt crazy 5* will come.

The smart phone is everywhere.
It's getting more powerful.
(If made w 1960 tech, a smart phone would consume 1.5 the energy consumed in usa.)

We will do academic and athlete data searches. We must start early so recruit can start taking AP classes in sr yr. (Grad rate). Preliminary interest via web to coaches - for screening- then use social media to let them twitter follow thier position coach. Then recruits and players follow?

I think a key to gt recruiting is to get a steady stream of 3* ol and dt guys to come for 5 years. Need a great ATL intern program w pipeline to great jobs.
Almost had a heart attacks seeing you totally agreeing with me. :p:p:p

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There are three types of recruits.....those that are almost assured of making the NFL, those that might, and those that won't but are still good enough to play D1 ball.
The first group for the most part are going to look to coast until they can get their paycheck. The latter two groups are the ones that may have interest in Tech. The question is how much time do you spend trying to convince them to major in what Tech offers if they are interested in some thing else.....vs trying to find the ones that want what Tech offers?

They all think they're going to the NFL. You're out of touch.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Imo, sisk is getting a bad rap but I am sure the new guy will do a good job.

I zhould have said sisk and curry transformed curry 's body.

Imo, CURRY and brant needed to see the play before its past them. No matter how strong or fast , if you engage a blocker with head on away side, you can only make contact with your hands as runner goes past u. Easy to see in stands, hard to see field level.

Maybe they were coached to see, but cant. I like curry as a player and hope he can help this year.

I don’t think any of Curry’s problems were physical. I think he has shown good enough wheels. I’ve seen him be physical enough. I’ve seen him make some good plays.

But he at times didn’t seem to know where to go or what his responsibility was. Not knowing what the calls were it’s hard for me to judge that. Maybe the DL in front of him went the wrong way sometimes?

I’m just hoping whatever’s been wrong the past decade on D gets squared away...hopefully sooner rather than later.

He’s probably a bit small for MLB in a 3-3-5 if that’s what we play primarily. That’s still a big unknown though.