The "Collins effect "........

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We will be good on fly and post but the rpo has lots of short passes.

1. The ol has all kinds of blocking calls in our offense that qb and ol Capt has to signal based on line up of front 7

2. In the rpo the qb and wr need to be on same page about routes verse back 7.

Got to learn very fast.

I think GT fans will be surprised how many ways one play can look. CPJ was infamous for his blocking adjustments, but other offenses have play designs off the same concepts.

One concept I really like, and I think would do well with our personnel is the inside zone read and quick seam/slant pass of it:

Obviously, Baker was not running, but GT with LJ and James Graham can go full inside/outside zone read. It doesn't require sustained blocking, and it's an easy read for the QB and quick break for the slot or TE. To take to another level, look at Auburn's pop pass concepts:

Here's a fun concept from the chiefs:

LOTS of ways to modify this. Of course you have the read option component, and the kind of wheel route...but you can also have the WR release and put the DB in conflict. Either sit and defend the wheel, or take of the releasing WR to defend down the field.

Damn...I'm friggin juiced to see how our guys get used. It's gonna be fun.

Scubapro

Banned
I think GT fans will be surprised how many ways one play can look. CPJ was infamous for his blocking adjustments, but other offenses have play designs off the same concepts.

One concept I really like, and I think would do well with our personnel is the inside zone read and quick seam/slant pass of it:

Obviously, Baker was not running, but GT with LJ and James Graham can go full inside/outside zone read. It doesn't require sustained blocking, and it's an easy read for the QB and quick break for the slot or TE. To take to another level, look at Auburn's pop pass concepts:

Here's a fun concept from the chiefs:

LOTS of ways to modify this. Of course you have the read option component, and the kind of wheel route...but you can also have the WR release and put the DB in conflict. Either sit and defend the wheel, or take of the releasing WR to defend down the field.

Damn...I'm friggin juiced to see how our guys get used. It's gonna be fun.

I hope we see this but I think Patenaude will be more chump than champ.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't sure where to put this, but this is a good article from this morning.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...or-geoff-collins-hire/9AAclP9M1ANPwm2xYLCaEL/

Great article, I’m looking forward to what Collins is gonna bring on the Flats, but this part just bugs me a bit:
“I challenge them to show up and get back to being the people who are Georgia Tech,” Swilling said. “Our family. Because it’s been missing. It’s not there right now.”
I’m glad guys are “coming back” to Tech, but I’m still giving major side eye to any Tech fans/alums who avoided us because they didn’t like the option. We had a solid program that could have rose higher if a significant portion of our own fan base wasn’t actively undercutting us over their wishes for a different style of offense.

Animal02

Banned
Great article, I’m looking forward to what Collins is gonna bring on the Flats, but this part just bugs me a bit:
“I challenge them to show up and get back to being the people who are Georgia Tech,” Swilling said. “Our family. Because it’s been missing. It’s not there right now.”
I’m glad guys are “coming back” to Tech, but I’m still giving major side eye to any Tech fans/alums who avoided us because they didn’t like the option. We had a solid program that could have rose higher if a significant portion of our own fan base wasn’t actively undercutting us over their wishes for a different style of offense.
I remain skeptically optimistic........but this whole things brings back memories of "New Coke"

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I agree and I never understood that attitude. It is imperative that we put all of that in the past now and come together to support the program.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I hope we see this but I think Patenaude will be more chump than champ.
Why? Have you analyzed his offenses over his career or just checked 10 minutes of Temple take? Did you just watch the bowl or did you watch the UCF games? What did he run before Temple? I don’t know how he will do either but am sure you have no idea either.

☠CaptainBuzz☠

Jolly Good Fellow
I love this. This is right in line with the GT brand based on my experience.
837AA00D-91CA-42DB-8148-3DAAADB8FADC.jpeg

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan
What exactly bugs you about that statement? Seems like a pretty honest take to me.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I wanted to "Like" this but then realized you were disagreeing with him.

Pat wasn't a fan of our O, but he is a fan of GT first. It's legit for him to give side eye to folks with opposite priorities.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I wanted to "Like" this but then realized you were disagreeing with him.

Pat wasn't a fan of our O, but he is a fan of GT first. It's legit for him to give side eye to folks with opposite priorities.

Regardless of the “why”...and what Pat is or was attributing the “why” to.....I think his main point is there is and has been a terrible fan presence in BDS. And it needs to improve or CGC will have a much harder time recruiting than most think.

Animal02

Banned
Regardless of the “why”...and what Pat is or was attributing the “why” to.....I think his main point is there is and has been a terrible fan presence in BDS. And it needs to improve or CGC will have a much harder time recruiting than most think.
All our competion has to do is show the a picture of the Ugag game......that would be enough to turn off most kids. :(

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
All our competion has to do is show the a picture of the Ugag game......that would be enough to turn off most kids. :(

How we win any recruiting battles other than vs. Duke amazes me. I cringe every time I compare our in stadium atmosphere vs our competition with regards to visits.

We would all kill (metaphorically) to land “Little Braun.” When I compare BDS to the swamp it hurts my heart. We don’t have to get 90K fans in the stands to compete. We do have to fill the stands and get rowdy though.

Tech fans are incapable of this; change my mind (not @Animal02 and not here in the forum...change my mind inside BDS in ‘19 you bunch of nancies)

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
“He was glad to see me and I was very glad to see him, just for what he’s going to bring to us – NFL-style offense, NFL-style defense. Just by saying that, with our academics, with what he’s going to bring, downtown Atlanta, Atlanta, Ga., job market, all that. Any kid that wouldn’t want to play at Georgia Tech would be crazy now. You can get it all.”

That struck me. I am not someone who was by any means a Johnson hater. I never agreed with the shade thrown at him for running the option. I grew to really love it, but not enough to keep watching when it wasn't working. I don't see CPJ moving on as some kind of failed experiment. He produced results commensurate to his ability as a coach at Georgia Tech, and often they were quite good.

What this quote does show me is that the negative recruiting (and frankly media) really hit. If not in success on the field than definitely in reputation. Thankfully Collins is changing that, and I think his aptitude in this transition has been unique. I am glad that he is being quite respectful of CPJ. Hopefully he will continue to go down as the HOF coach that he is without needing to be scapegoated in order for us to move on.