The "Collins effect "........

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
“He was glad to see me and I was very glad to see him, just for what he’s going to bring to us – NFL-style offense, NFL-style defense. Just by saying that, with our academics, with what he’s going to bring, downtown Atlanta, Atlanta, Ga., job market, all that. Any kid that wouldn’t want to play at Georgia Tech would be crazy now. You can get it all.”

That struck me. I am not someone who was by any means a Johnson hater. I never agreed with the shade thrown at him for running the option. I grew to really love it, but not enough to keep watching when it wasn't working. I don't see CPJ moving on as some kind of failed experiment. He produced results commensurate to his ability as a coach at Georgia Tech, and often they were quite good.

What this quote does show me is that the negative recruiting (and frankly media) really hit. If not in success on the field than definitely in reputation. Thankfully Collins is changing that, and I think his aptitude in this transition has been unique. I am glad that he is being quite respectful of CPJ. Hopefully he will continue to go down as the HOF coach that he is without needing to be scapegoated in order for us to move on.
I agree. I also agree with Whiskey in that we need to get the stadium filled every game with cheering fans. We should be able to do that in Atlanta.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I wanted to "Like" this but then realized you were disagreeing with him.

Pat wasn't a fan of our O, but he is a fan of GT first. It's legit for him to give side eye to folks with opposite priorities.

My problem isn’t with Pat or the quote itself, but with those former Tech players who distanced themselves from the program because of the option. Pat sent his two sons to play under Paul Johnson...I don’t consider that avoiding the program. Pat is kind of calling the rest of them out in a gentle way, which is smart to do going forward (no need to keep pushing divisions over what happened in the past). It just frustrates me looking back on what could have been if we had more solid support from the former players playing down the anti-option narrative as overblown.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
My problem isn’t with Pat or the quote itself, but with those former Tech players who distanced themselves from the program because of the option. Pat sent his two sons to play under Paul Johnson...I don’t consider that avoiding the program. Pat is kind of calling the rest of them out in a gentle way, which is smart to do going forward (no need to keep pushing divisions over what happened in the past). It just frustrates me looking back on what could have been if we had more solid support from the former players playing down the anti-option narrative as overblown.
I just wonder if it was them avoiding the program or the program not reaching out. I have no idea either way but have seen that at some schools where the current coach doesn’t spend time cultivating former players. Doesn’t really matter now though but I am excited about all of the former players who seem psyched.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
I just wonder if it was them avoiding the program or the program not reaching out. I have no idea either way but have seen that at some schools where the current coach doesn’t spend time cultivating former players. Doesn’t really matter now though but I am excited about all of the former players who seem psyched.
GTAA should facilitate this for the current staff. There's only so much one guy/staff can DO WELL. But GT letter winners should be welcomed and honored back at GT as members of a family. In exchange, they should be advocates in the recruiting process to describe what an honor it is to be a part of this group - making it to the next level or not. It's not an exploitation of youthful talents - but an initiation into a lifelong shared experience.

Animal02

Banned
GTAA should facilitate this for the current staff. There's only so much one guy/staff can DO WELL. But GT letter winners should be welcomed and honored back at GT as members of a family. In exchange, they should be advocates in the recruiting process to describe what an honor it is to be a part of this group - making it to the next level or not. It's not an exploitation of youthful talents - but an initiation into a lifelong shared experience.
You have to be careful with compliance issues. Not having the staff of other higher spending schools leaves the door open to possible violations. Just a possibility.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Why do you think Pat wouldn't know? Why do you raise your ignorance to suggest that the problem was on cpj's side when someone in a position to know says it wasn't?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Why do you think Pat wouldn't know? Why do you raise your ignorance to suggest that the problem was on cpj's side when someone in a position to know says it wasn't?
I asked a question. I don’t see anything in Pat’s article to answer one way or another. If you know them answer it

Gray Fox

GT Athlete
CPJ had no interest in players from previous eras. unless maybe your name was Calvin or your kid was a recruit. He could not have cared less. I can’t think of 1 former player pre-CPJ that wasn’t ecstatic he retired.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
CPJ had no interest in players from previous eras. unless maybe your name was Calvin or your kid was a recruit. He could not have cared less. I can’t think of 1 former player pre-CPJ that wasn’t ecstatic he retired.

And you know how many? Lots of former players have used Tech football facilities for postseason workouts. Maybe CPJ didn’t reach out enough but it seems stupid to imply he closed the doors on them.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I asked a question. I don’t see anything in Pat’s article to answer one way or another. If you know them answer it
Let it go.

He's way above your pay grade.

(He makes money by being logical!)

Plus
80% of people can't follow more than a simple logical argument.
Of the 20% that can, 80% will not change their opinion even when they are wrong.

I think he's working on the clearly defined metrics that he says will let us know if a good hire. About a month ago he stated we will know in a year.

I am saying the end of recruiting 2019 will be a key. Need to see a clear uptick.