The Citadel Postgame

pelliott

Georgia Tech Fan
This game was odd to me for several reasons.
First of all, the typical game where an FCS team upsets an FBS team seems to be the result of the head coach of the FCS team calling a great game, the FCS team executing big plays (trick plays, long passes, etc.) mixed in with the FBS team turning the ball over at crucial moments.

This Tech Citadel game had a different feel to it. Watching the game and looking at the time of possession (41:50-18:10 in favor of Citadel), Citadel appeared to physically wear down Georgia Tech in a way I have never seen an FCS team do.

Citadel ran the option. It's not like they executed many long pass plays. Georgia Tech did not turn the ball over once, in fact Citadel threw an interception. Yes Tech shot themselves in the foot with taunting penalties and poor clock management, but these situations made up a small fraction of the game. Citadel was 8 for 16 on third down running the ball for the most part.

Furman vs. VA Tech was close, but VA Tech still looked the part of an FBS team playing an FCS team, as they just over powered Furman with strength and speed on most plays. Clay Hendrix for Furman called a spectacular game, and Furman forced turnovers. Citadel and Tech looked to be on the same level, but Citadel's previous 0-2 record against not great opponents suggest they are bad.

Does anyone else agree with me that Citadel somehow imposed their will on a physically superior team? Anyone disagree? All the blame seems to be going towards poor coaching by Georgia Tech.

First of all, the typical game where an FCS team upsets an FBS team seems to be the result of the head coach of the FCS team calling a great game, the FCS team executing big plays (trick plays, long passes, etc.) mixed in with the FBS team turning the ball over at crucial moments.

This Tech Citadel game had a different feel to it. Watching the game and looking at the time of possession (41:50-18:10 in favor of Citadel), Citadel appeared to physically wear down Georgia Tech in a way I have never seen an FCS team do.

Citadel ran the option. It's not like they executed many long pass plays. Georgia Tech did not turn the ball over once, in fact Citadel threw an interception. Yes Tech shot themselves in the foot with taunting penalties and poor clock management, but these situations made up a small fraction of the game. Citadel was 8 for 16 on third down running the ball for the most part.

Furman vs. VA Tech was close, but VA Tech still looked the part of an FBS team playing an FCS team, as they just over powered Furman with strength and speed on most plays. Clay Hendrix for Furman called a spectacular game, and Furman forced turnovers. Citadel and Tech looked to be on the same level, but Citadel's previous 0-2 record against not great opponents suggest they are bad.

Does anyone else agree with me that Citadel somehow imposed their will on a physically superior team? Anyone disagree? All the blame seems to be going towards poor coaching by Georgia Tech.

Yes, spot on. We were dominated by an FCS team. They had discipline, in all regards and we did not. When you listen to the players after the game they admit they took this game lightly. That is square on the coach. But even the coach prior to the game made no big deal about preparing for the offense he was about to face. Army took Oklahoma and Michigan to double Overtime in their houses. This offense when it gets going can not be stopped, no matter who is running it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You want me to break it down for you so you can understand better?

Yes please. Please breakdown the lack of adjustments made on D. The soft play of the D. The inability to set an edge or slow down the toss plays. The incessant QB swapping leading to a lack of any rythym for either player. The way we ignored our matchup advantages our WRs had who could have won almost any jump balls. All of the unforced errors and penalties. The way CGC had his head up his tailpipe at the end of OT and how bad he blew it.

Yes. Help me understand why we are doing those things and why you support it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

It was odd because Tech never ever led. Didn’t have the lead one time vs a FCS opponent. Has any other P5 program managed such a low?

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow

With a 4th string QB who ran about a 5.7 40. Oh, and almost...

P.S. CPJ also beat Miami, FSU, and UGA that year.
i’d rather almost lose to Gardner Webb than almost beat the Citadel.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow

You want me to break it down for you so you can understand better?
i’ll save you the step and break it down for you. ‘We lost to the Citadel.’ That’s all the analysis you need.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

At times The Citadel imposed their will but other times we played like we we’re preserving ourselves on defense. For what? Idk

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
At times The Citadel imposed their will but other times we played like we we’re preserving ourselves on defense. For what? Idk
Agreed.

The de standing was dumb. We are not athletic enough to do that technique. Needed to be down and take away kick outs. It also removes line aggression

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
How it’s looking for the worst?

I’m down for new stuff. But when you rotate 2 qbs non stop, they’re both ATL, and are on the field during the same drive multiple times while nothing is working...then it’s looking for the worst.

Or maybe it doesn’t have anything to do with ATL. Either way, pick a damn qb and stick with him. Oliver isn’t the best passer but he moved the team down the field the most. Let him get some throws in and gain some confidence. If he isn’t able to, then we can put Lucas back in and take more lumps if we have to.

Maybe they should name foreal starters...then have above the line players who will be rotated out at other skills positions.

Do you really not think the constant qb shuffle is ridiculous? What value is there in it? I’m just asking an honest question. I truly don’t get it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No. U can always stop a clock on with an incomplete pass or spike. It was dumb period. If u have 23 seconds on the clock and no timeouts you can run 3 plays and then kick. We ran 0. Letting 10 seconds run off cost two plays. And the jumpball was working
If we are smart enough not to be tackled in bounds...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

You basically nailed it. People have said we should have the talent to not worry about the transition against the likes of Citadel. Unfortunately the key word is should.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Graham is injured and also hasn't yet got enough on-the-field experience to start, although that may come. Yates is totally unproven on the college level. He has 4 free games to avoid burning the redshirt, and we should start using him. If he's good enough to start now, then hell yeah, burn that redshirt and start him. Until then, however, IMO Oliver should start and play the entire game.
I’ve been dying to see him. I thought he’d start after halftime at some point

JPaul

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah we were all making fun of it in the stands. I understand the idea, but it’s kind of a bad look when you’re losing to Citedal.

So, my wife who is the 'real' football fan in the family kept telling me it was a way of showing enthusiasm etc. to the players on the field (maybe).....to me it looked like a bunch of junior high school weenies rap-jumping like a bunch of idiots on the sideline while their teammates were getting their clocks cleaned. Made about as much sense (to me) as that "super-stupid" , "it's MONEY DOWN" whine that drives me crazy every time I hear it come out of that (adjective omitted here) announcer. Both those things are juvenile and super annoying especially when our team is getting its butt-kicked. Citadel genuinely deserves congratulations for a well coached, hard fought, well-played game - aided by their opponent stepping on its ____k at every conceivable opportunity. There... now I feel better.