The Citadel Postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Rather than add the suicidal thoughts I had yesterday, let me ask, is there any chance that with two weeks to rest we get the starting O lineman back and look like a team which sorta knows what it's doing against Temple?

I'm equally furious at the defense which couldn't figure out what to do against the offense we ran a year ago, but I'm assuming we will not see the TO again any time soon and the defense will be decent next game.

I think they will be better with offensive linemen recovering from injuries but only marginally so. What you see is pretty much what you are going to get. Sadly. I predicted we would win 5 this year. Much too optimistic based on what I have seen. Maybe 2 or 3 wins if we are lucky.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You mean the same coaches that already pegged us to be the 13/14 teams in the Coastal? There was already no expectations of winning for this squad

Guess they knew better than us that CGC is in way over his head?

A decent coach shouldn’t have produced the :poop: show results we have seen thus far. We are lucky we aren’t 0-3.

Can he turn it around. Certainly. If he’s a decent coach. There is now a lot of reason for doubt. We can still make a bowl...but the coaching has to improve drastically to get there.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

A decent coach shouldn’t have produced the :poop: show results we have seen thus far. We are lucky we aren’t 0-3.

Can he turn it around. Certainly. If he’s a decent coach. There is now a lot of reason for doubt. We can still make a bowl...but the coaching has to improve drastically to get there.

Or they know we have players that don’t fit

We can vastly improve outcomes if we just name Oliver the starter and run the option with Mason getting at least 25 carries a game. He only had 11 yesterday. And when I say option I don't mean the CPJ option, I mean like Auburn runs. Good news is we don't have to face a CPJ offense again this year and it doesn't look like the ACC is exactly loaded....except of course the first team that we have already played.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Or they know we have players that don’t fit

It’s football. We aren’t trotting out our baseball and basketball players out on Grant Field and trying to coach them up. Our players do have talent and have been playing football their entire lives.

A decent head coach and staff could manage this respectably.

Yes we need a pass rusher on D. Haven’t had a very good one in ages. Yes our Oline was shaky this year even before the injuries. Which is why Lee should NEVER have been moved to split duty on the DL.

Those were limitations that would make getting to a bowl again this year tough. That isn’t the issue. We have talent on par with the rest of the coastal, more talent than USF, and vastly more talent than the Citadel.

The crap show that we have gotten thus far....all of it....is on CGC and staff. In 3 games that have us at an embarrassingly low point in our football history. There is no valid excuse for it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@Whiskey_Clear The clown show needed a built in excuse to cover their P5 OJT. Fact of the matter is we shouldn’t have to pay a staff 4yrs to learn on the job and 3 more to figure out if they actually learned anything.

Maybe if we focused on football instead of dance routines we might be 2-1. We’ll see if we’re more interested in dancing or football at Temple.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@Whiskey_Clear The clown show needed a built in excuse to cover their P5 OJT. Fact of the matter is we shouldn’t have to pay a staff 4yrs to learn on the job and 3 more to figure out if they actually learned anything.

Maybe if we focused on football instead of dance routines we might be 2-1. We’ll see if we’re more interested in dancing or football at Temple.

Quit the nonsense about what somebody focus, in which you have no clue about

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No. U can always stop a clock on with an incomplete pass or spike. It was dumb period. If u have 23 seconds on the clock and no timeouts you can run 3 plays and then kick. We ran 0. Letting 10 seconds run off cost two plays. And the jumpball was working
To add a bit more color to that, we had 23 seconds left when the penalty was called. That left is 13 seconds.
We should have had a minimum of one play and then at worst a field goal attempt.
I would agree, that as soon as the play clock started the ball should have been snapped and we could have spiked the ball. We would then still have had the opportunity for the two players I previously mentioned.
Coach should have told the players that during the penalty discussion and assessment.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It’s football. We aren’t trotting out our baseball and basketball players out on Grant Field and trying to coach them up. Our players do have talent and have been playing football their entire lives.

A decent head coach and staff could manage this respectably.

Yes we need a pass rusher on D. Haven’t had a very good one in ages. Yes our Oline was shaky this year even before the injuries. Which is why Lee should NEVER have been moved to split duty on the DL.

Those were limitations that would make getting to a bowl again this year tough. That isn’t the issue. We have talent on par with the rest of the coastal, more talent than USF, and vastly more talent than the Citadel.

The crap show that we have gotten thus far....all of it....is on CGC and staff. In 3 games that have us at an embarrassingly low point in our football history. There is no valid excuse for it.

Lol dude we were just 3-9 not to long ago. You talking about low point wow.

All this hindsight talk and talking out both sides our mouth. One second we need to get our playmakers the ball, the next it’s too risky putting one of our best ball carriers at returning. Did you forget Adams passed this spring? You need bodies at DT. To boot Lee is an undersized OT with short arms. Talent on par with the rest of the Coastal. What’s your metric for that? Only team we have on par talent with is Duke and UVA per the recruiting services. Do i need to post the offer list of our starting offense?

The offense has been painful to watch, but TO and Lucas to an extent, is exactly who were thought they were. We are trying to beat a bunch of full house with pocket 3s. Patenloathe hasn’t helped at all but it’s tough with the pieces we have

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Gotta admit, this ATL stuff is looking like it’s for the worst. There are so many things I want to say, but they’ve already been said.

We can only hope the coaches have the common sense most of us have.

What a terrible day for Tech football.

How it’s looking for the worst?

Lol dude we were just 3-9 not to long ago. You talking about low point wow.

All this hindsight talk and talking out both sides our mouth. One second we need to get our playmakers the ball, the next it’s too risky putting one of our best ball carriers at returning. Did you forget Adams passed this spring? You need bodies at DT. To boot Lee is an undersized OT with short arms. Talent on par with the rest of the Coastal. What’s your metric for that? Only team we have on par talent with is Duke and UVA per the recruiting services. Do i need to post the offer list of our starting offense?

The offense has been painful to watch, but TO and Lucas to an extent, is exactly who were thought they were. We are trying to beat a bunch of full house with pocket 3s. Patenloathe hasn’t helped at all but it’s tough with the pieces we have

Um we weren't playing against a full house yesterday. Tobias Oliver is a winner which he proved last year. Probably a 5 star caliber now. He almost single handedly won yesterday and frankly did if it weren't for the coaches. And as for 3-9 yes with losing 10 offensive starters and then massive injuries.....but somehow we beat the number 8 team in the country.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
To add a bit more color to that, we had 23 seconds left when the penalty was called. That left is 13 seconds.
We should have had a minimum of one play and then at worst a field goal attempt.
I would agree, that as soon as the play clock started the ball should have been snapped and we could have spiked the ball. We would then still have had the opportunity for the two players I previously mentioned.
Coach should have told the players that during the penalty discussion and assessment.

Will try to say this differently

we had 23 seconds left. Penalty. 10 second rundown. BUT IF YOU TAKE A TIMEOUT YOU AVOID THE RUNOFF. That is my f-in point. He was dumb to not take the timeout then.

Now, you have 23 seconds left no timeouts. That is plenty of time to get off multiple plays to the endzone then kick

the timeout needed and should have been after the penalty. You save 10 seconds and the ball is dead.

I was yelling take the timeout during thegame. Shocked. Appalled. Disbelief he didn't. Then, insult to injury, after not taking that timeout...the ball goes in play and he takes it

it literally was the dumbest 30 seconds of football I have seen in my life. Literally. This surpasses nix 3rd down spike gaffe

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
You HAVE to start Graham or Yates now. Cant run Oliver and especially Lucas out there anymore

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Will try to say this differently

we had 23 seconds left. Penalty. 10 second rundown. BUT IF YOU TAKE A TIMEOUT YOU AVOID THE RUNOFF. That is my f-in point. He was dumb to not take the timeout then.

Now, you have 23 seconds left no timeouts. That is plenty of time to get off multiple plays to the endzone then kick

the timeout needed and should have been after the penalty. You save 10 seconds and the ball is dead.

I was yelling take the timeout during thegame. Shocked. Appalled. Disbelief he didn't
I can work with that scenario too. [emoji106]
Bottom line is that the coaches and players were not situationally aware.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Um we weren't playing against a full house yesterday. Tobias Oliver is a winner which he proved last year. Probably a 5 star caliber now. He almost single handedly won yesterday and frankly did if it weren't for the coaches. And as for 3-9 yes with losing 10 offensive starters and then massive injuries.....but somehow we beat the number 8 team in the country.

If you thought FSU was really Top 10 team that year, then i have the secret Patenaude playbook to sell you

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
bottom line, we need an OC from the tom herman, dan mullen, urban meyer tree with our team...imo this rerun OC is a joke. a total joke. and ATL is fine, except at qb...sorry....iiwii

if you don't think we could win 5 with using oliver legit and passing like tebow...which was not great...then ok...we could but we are monkeying around with position and lack of play development

You HAVE to start Graham or Yates now. Cant run Oliver and especially Lucas out there anymore
Graham is injured and also hasn't yet got enough on-the-field experience to start, although that may come. Yates is totally unproven on the college level. He has 4 free games to avoid burning the redshirt, and we should start using him. If he's good enough to start now, then hell yeah, burn that redshirt and start him. Until then, however, IMO Oliver should start and play the entire game.