The Citadel Postgame

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Did the ref ever blow a whistle for the timeout that Collins called? I never heard one from the stands, just the band playing ab a verse of the fight song.

Is a ref allowed to award a timeout without blowing a whistle after the play is over?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Collins: “Staff, what do you think happened on Saturday? Coach P?”

P-nut: “They definitely outscored us. If they hadn’t outscored us, we would have won.”

CGC: “Ok. Important takeaway. Gotta work on the whole scoring thing. See you at practice on Thursday. And don’t forget to work on your dance moves. It’s really having an impact. OK, Group Hug! Break!”

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This game was odd to me for several reasons.
First of all, the typical game where an FCS team upsets an FBS team seems to be the result of the head coach of the FCS team calling a great game, the FCS team executing big plays (trick plays, long passes, etc.) mixed in with the FBS team turning the ball over at crucial moments.

This Tech Citadel game had a different feel to it. Watching the game and looking at the time of possession (41:50-18:10 in favor of Citadel), Citadel appeared to physically wear down Georgia Tech in a way I have never seen an FCS team do.

Citadel ran the option. It's not like they executed many long pass plays. Georgia Tech did not turn the ball over once, in fact Citadel threw an interception. Yes Tech shot themselves in the foot with taunting penalties and poor clock management, but these situations made up a small fraction of the game. Citadel was 8 for 16 on third down running the ball for the most part.

Furman vs. VA Tech was close, but VA Tech still looked the part of an FBS team playing an FCS team, as they just over powered Furman with strength and speed on most plays. Clay Hendrix for Furman called a spectacular game, and Furman forced turnovers. Citadel and Tech looked to be on the same level, but Citadel's previous 0-2 record against not great opponents suggest they are bad.

Does anyone else agree with me that Citadel somehow imposed their will on a physically superior team? Anyone disagree? All the blame seems to be going towards poor coaching by Georgia Tech.
Yes, in every aspect.

Oh, and btw, if I see just one more font here saying that Jimmys and Joes make the big difference in games, not the scheme you run, I will personally come over to their house and puke on their shoes. We have just had an object lesson - if one was needed - that scheme and discipline can negate vast differences in talent.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes, in every aspect.

Oh, and btw, if I see just one more font here saying that Jimmys and Joes make the big difference in games, not the scheme you run, I will personally come over to their house and puke on their shoes. We have just had an object lesson - if one was needed - that scheme and discipline can negate vast differences in talent.

And it doesn’t have to a flex bone or any other option spread scheme. But it does have to be a sound scheme. Ours isn’t the way it has been implemented thus far.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Citadel was the better team on the field. At no point during that game could I honestly say we are better than them and beating ourselves. Yes, we had stupid penalties that were basically turnovers but what would we have done with those possessions anyway and they lost their starting QB. Their QB was better than ours. Their kicker was better than ours. Their OLine was way better than ours. The only advantage we had was Mason was better than their RB and our WR’s were better. The upside is the ACC is hot garbage so if we start drawing up plays in the dirt and pretend Patenaude doesn’t exist we’ll have a chance to win a few more games.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Citadel was the better team on the field. At no point during that game could I honestly say we are better than them and beating ourselves. Yes, we had stupid penalties that were basically turnovers but what would we have done with those possessions anyway and they lost their starting QB. Their QB was better than ours. Their kicker was better than ours. Their OLine was way better than ours. The only advantage we had was Mason was better than their RB and our WR’s were better. The upside is the ACC is hot garbage so if we start drawing up plays in the dirt and pretend Patenaude doesn’t exit we’ll have a chance to win a few more games.

Their play and players wouldn’t have looked as good without our boneheaded penalties extending drives needlessly and gifting them points. But yes they were the better team. We still had the better athletes...we just didn’t take advantage of them.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We got whooped upfront on both sides of the ball. Can’t coach that. Gotta get some horses in here or we are gonna be seeing a new coach before the MBS deal is up. Collins has to recruit or his scheme will never work.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Did the ref ever blow a whistle for the timeout that Collins called? I never heard one from the stands, just the band playing ab a verse of the fight song.

Is a ref allowed to award a timeout without blowing a whistle after the play is over?
The ref near Collins ignored him. Never raised his hand or anything and Collins was right in his face. It sounded like a whistle about the time we scored. This is what I gathered from the replay.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We got whooped upfront on both sides of the ball. Can’t coach that. Gotta get some horses in here or we are gonna be seeing a new coach before the MBS deal is up. Collins has to recruit or his scheme will never work.
Dude, Citadel would be 3-0 with our players. They didn’t just stroll out to the quad & see who wanted to get on the bus to play GT on Saturday afternoon. I believe they had some practices.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
If the USF kid doesn’t hand us the ball on the goal line we’re 0-3 right now.

With our increased emphasis on passing we’re now on pace for a season that would fall behind 8/11 of CPJ’s offenses in passing yards/game and yards/attempt.

Everyone getting a lot of reps in practice is cool, but the guys who are playing clearly need more. I still have questions about the quality of reps we’re getting while practicing at the fast pace that allows for all these reps. At the open practice on Dan day I wasn’t seeing much room for immediate feedback or much teaching as everyone flew from one rep to the next.

The lack of discipline on defense in this game was difficult to watch and was the difference between winning and losing this game. As if they’ve earned the right to get chippy with anyone, and they do it against the Citadel?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Dude, Citadel would be 3-0 with our players. They didn’t just stroll out to the quad & see who wanted to get on the bus to play GT on Saturday afternoon. I believe they had some practices.
They were getting 5 yards a pop on BB Dive. That’s not coaching. We got whooped by a FCS OLine and their DLine got in the backfield all day. The Coaching mishaps were clock management and Offensive Play calling / Decision making.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
. . .
Furman vs. VA Tech was close, but VA Tech still looked the part of an FBS team playing an FCS team, as they just over powered Furman with strength and speed on most plays. Clay Hendrix for Furman called a spectacular game, and Furman forced turnovers. Citadel and Tech looked to be on the same level, but Citadel's previous 0-2 record against not great opponents suggest they are bad.

Does anyone else agree with me that Citadel somehow imposed their will on a physically superior team? Anyone disagree? All the blame seems to be going towards poor coaching by Georgia Tech.

Actually, The Citadel dropped its season opener 21-28 to a now 3-0 Towson squad which is in the Top 10 of the FCS polls, and then the Bulldogs dropped their second game 28-35, on the road, to a now 3-0 Elon team which is sniffing the FCS top 20. Citadel's 0-2 record entering the game was not carefully scrutinized by most Tech fans who were predicting an easy Tech victory. One would think that Citadel managing to hang for a half with 'Bama last November would've been enough to warrant more respect, but apparently not.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
They were getting 5 yards a pop on BB Dive. That’s not coaching. We got whooped by a FCS OLine and their DLine got in the backfield all day. The Coaching mishaps were clock management and Offensive Play calling / Decision making.
As we all know, the triple option can neutralize better talent when it’s done well. I don’t blame the coaching for that. The lack of coaching on defense to me was in the lack of composure. Our offense doesn’t look very well coached. Our most consistent success has come from Tobias Oliver’s athletic ability, and he’s mainly doing what he was already coached to do last year.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow

I can’t believe we got blown off the ball by a FCS team on both sides of the ball. I saw the team’s before and after glamour shots from the offseason. I heard everyone talk about how much stronger they got.

Just add it to the list of fake nonsense thus far.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
So you think citadel has more talent on their OL and DL than we do?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I can’t believe we got blown off the ball by a FCS team on both sides of the ball. I saw the team’s before and after glamour shots from the offseason. I heard everyone talk about how much stronger they got.

Just add it to the list of fake nonsense thus far.
It’s funny none of the pics were of anyone on either line just all the skill dudes flexing while oiled up.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It’s funny none of the pics were of anyone on either line just all the skill dudes flexing while oiled up.

Not many linemen look great with their shirts off. :D

I still can’t get the image of a DT at the combine running the 40 shirtless. It...was not...pretty. Might have been a bama player.

But I hear ya. It’s also hard to make huge strides in one offseason. I never bought into that hype but the SnC coach looks like a good one.