The Citadel Postgame

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
They ran for like 450 yards against USF without their best player... Benson. Its just not a comparable situation. They averaged 8 yards a play. It was a thrashing and Oliver never even had to pitch the ball.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
All of us remember that LJ barely played in the first game. I am wondering, after some thought, if the staff was hoping that we could show "possible" new recruits more of the "new" offense with LJ against a weaker opponent (Citadel and USF)? If so, that is a really dangerous way to make decisions, unless you don't care about the final outcome as much as future recruiting possibilities. Again, just wondering. I can't believe that P-nude thinks that LJ gives him a better chance to win??? Just makes no sense.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
All of us remember that LJ barely played in the first game. I am wondering, after some thought, if the staff was hoping that we could show "possible" new recruits more of the "new" offense with LJ against a weaker opponent (Citadel and USF)? If so, that is a really dangerous way to make decisions, unless you don't care about the final outcome as much as future recruiting possibilities. Again, just wondering. I can't believe that P-nude thinks that LJ gives him a better chance to win??? Just makes no sense.

This is the single reason I really question the competency of the offense coaching staff. There’s zero reason after 2, and now 3 games to think that Lucas gives us the best chance to win. Does he have blackmail/dirt on the coaches? What in the heck are they seeing that no one else in any of the 3 games is seeing??

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is the single reason I really question the competency of the offense coaching staff. There’s zero reason after 2, and now 3 games to think that Lucas gives us the best chance to win. Does he have blackmail/dirt on the coaches? What in the heck are they seeing that no one else in any of the 3 games is seeing??

I really think it is because they want to "force" the passing part/RPO part of the offense to show recruits. I can give no other logical answer for this.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
They made their choice by letting him return kickoffs ( which he is very good at) and playing him in the slot. Our great OC is convinced that LJ is better. And if our head coach don't get his head out of his a** it's going to be a very long and bad year. With TO is think we could have won 6 games. But 1 win will give us a first round draft choice. Oh wait we don't have a draft we want 4 and 5 star players to see this offense and sign for us

We wouldn't win 6 games with any of the players on roster playing QB. We have way more issues than just QB and we aren't going to TO left, TO right, TO up the middle our way to 6 wins. Oliver gives us the best chance to win more games this year. Going Graham or Yates is best for long term. Personally I don't really care if we win 2 or 3 games vs 1. I'd much rather start groom the long term guy.

Only reason to play LJ after this game is if you just absolutely want to redshirt Yates, and Graham isn't avaialable.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Ok I'm going to piss off most . First attendance sucked I would guess 28,000 at most. Our offensive coordinator should not be coaching D1 football if anywhere. Coaching staff is a whole did not prepare this team , starting to get my doubts about them period. CGC at this time this time is over his head , might have been a good defensive coordinator but has a lot to learn as a head coach. Color it any way you want but our players are better than their players , hell our 2nd team should beat them but not if the coaching staff does not prepare them.
This could be the worse team I have seen since 1981. CGC you can talk recruiting all you want but with your offensive coordinator and lack of preparing a team all I can say is 7 years is too long. If you come back next year with that offensive coordinator than you need to go and take him with you. Oh by the way I'm still pissed about this game. This was Citadel a FCS team. CGC this one is on you.
Good post!

We wouldn't win 6 games with any of the players on roster playing QB. We have way more issues than just QB and we aren't going to TO left, TO right, TO up the middle our way to 6 wins. Oliver gives us the best chance to win more games this year. Going Graham or Yates is best for long term. Personally I don't really care if we win 2 or 3 games vs 1. I'd much rather start groom the long term guy.

Only reason to play LJ after this game is if you just absolutely want to redshirt Yates, and Graham isn't avaialable.
Yates can play 4 games without losing his redshirt. PLAY HIM NOW !!! He might turn out to be good enough right away to take over.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I really think it is because they want to "force" the passing part/RPO part of the offense to show recruits. I can give no other logical answer for this.

I mean...maybe? But what does it show a recruit when you can’t run that offense for ****? Does it scare the recruit off? Or do they think “I’m the missing piece to make this work”? Seems like a very risky game to play, if they are indeed basically tanking this season to try and prove we don’t run the option anymore.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I want to get everyone's opinion on this, as it's something that kind of low key bothered me sitting at the game today, and I don't know if I should be bothered or not. I don't think I'm "old" at 41 years of age, so I hope I'm not getting to my "get off my lawn" years already, but during the game today at many times when the clock was stopped (TV time out, etc), many of our players were on the sidelines literally dancing to the songs playing over the PA...like full-on group dancing. This was going on even when The Citadel was in the lead, when the game was tied, and when they were driving with the potential to win in regulation. Like there wasn't a care in the world. I'm all about the players having fun and feeling comfortable, but when we, GT, are getting beat by/tied with The Citadel very late in the game, should we really be doing that?

Or am I just getting "old"?
That kind of stuff bothers me immensely! To me it conveys to the players that winning is secondary.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk