The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

GT_EE78

Banned
>keeping 18-22 yo out of bars/social gatherings was never going to be easy
Still, things are going very well on campuses..All should restart football now as recent CDC data explains.

CDC Covid-19 Survival Rates
Age 0-19 — 99.997%
Age 20-49 — 99.98%
Age 50-69 — 99.5%
Age 70+ — 94.6%

There have now been 48,299 coronavirus cases reported at 37 universities in the United States.
Of those cases there have been ONLY 2 hospitalizations.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Big 10 took quite the approach here:

- Daily rapid testing for everyone. That can't be cheap.
- 21 days until someone can return after a positive test.
- Over 5% of the team tests positive all operations are suspended.
- Population positivity rates can alter the football schedule.

With basically no off weeks, that may be an interesting season.
If the Big10 originally said they were not going to be playing this season, what's to stop them from not sticking to any of this?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
In order to ensure they captured the positives, they manipulated the test and now false positives are running around 30%. We finally had or first bonafide positive after the rapid test positive result. Small data set but it’s 7 false positives so far to 1 actual positive.

The rapid tests vary significantly, so it's hard to generalize from that. The ratio of false positives in a testing sample isn't the most helpful thing to look at in isolation. That depends on how many people actually have the illness that are being tested. Don't know how many you've tested, but if there's only one actual positive among them, it's hard to be critical of the test. It it is designed as a screening test, you want it to be highly sensitive so you can follow up with a highly specific test (RT-PCR) to make a diagnosis.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
>keeping 18-22 yo out of bars/social gatherings was never going to be easy
Still, things are going very well on campuses..All should restart football now as recent CDC data explains.

CDC Covid-19 Survival Rates
Age 0-19 — 99.997%
Age 20-49 — 99.98%
Age 50-69 — 99.5%
Age 70+ — 94.6%

There have now been 48,299 coronavirus cases reported at 37 universities in the United States.
Of those cases there have been ONLY 2 hospitalizations.

That's nonsense. Colleges don't necessarily have access to data on whether their students are hospitalized, and most who have some data are not reporting hospitalizations. The rate is certainly low, but pretending like absence of data makes it safe to assume the data is zero gets us nowhere in collaborating on rational decisions.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The rapid tests vary significantly, so it's hard to generalize from that. The ratio of false positives in a testing sample isn't the most helpful thing to look at in isolation. That depends on how many people actually have the illness that are being tested. Don't know how many you've tested, but if there's only one actual positive among them, it's hard to be critical of the test. It it is designed as a screening test, you want it to be highly sensitive so you can follow up with a highly specific test (RT-PCR) to make a diagnosis.
It was 53 tests: 45 negatives and 8 positives, 7 of which were false positive and 1 confirmed positive. We’re around 105 tests now: 83 negative, 22 positives of which 2 positives have been confirmed , 15 false positives and 5 pending yes/no.

Deleted member 2897

That's nonsense. Colleges don't necessarily have access to data on whether their students are hospitalized, and most who have some data are not reporting hospitalizations. The rate is certainly low, but pretending like absence of data makes it safe to assume the data is zero gets us nowhere in collaborating on rational decisions.

Hospitalizations are tracked and reported on. So absent any other university-specific information, we can still see the data by age group across the general population. The last time I looked, deaths 18- was still less than the flu. To football players (and other student athletes), the media is on this like a shark attack. Hospitalizations may only be the couple we’ve heard about (like the lineman from Indiana), but it most assuredly is a tiny number - when there is one, just look at how heavily reported it is

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It was 53 tests: 45 negatives and 8 positives, 7 of which were false positive and 1 confirmed positive. We’re around 105 tests now: 83 negative, 22 positives of which 2 positives have been confirmed , 15 false positives and 5 pending yes/no.

Positive predictive value is very low, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just means it's a test designed for screening. Not having to waste materials, time, and expense on 83/105 possible RT-PCR tests is probably very useful. Of course, what you don't have data on are false negatives. If you're missing actual cases on screening, that would be bad. Of course, it would be dumb to lower cutoffs if it doesn't actually help you capture more true positives.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Positive predictive value is very low, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just means it's a test designed for screening. Not having to waste materials, time, and expense on 83/105 possible RT-PCR tests is probably very useful. Of course, what you don't have data on are false negatives. If you're missing actual cases on screening, that would be bad. Of course, it would be dumb to lower cutoffs if it doesn't actually help you capture more true positives.
I actually don’t have a huge issue with it because on balance I get my people back sooner. It’s just wreaking havoc with #1, lawyer and HR and our owners who’ve seen our positive rate go from 2% to 21% and are soiling their drawers. They’re finally starting to figure out 2/105 = 1.9% and our overall positive rate is still around 0.4%

That being said, minor adjustments to the rapid test would not result in other than a few hundredths of a percent less positives and would avoid about 1/3 of the false positives if not more.

Had some drinks with the Nurse down the street last night. She’s about to have a nervous breakdown because she went from 2-3 shifts per week for 4-5 months, then she had 60 hr (6-10’s) weeks for a month, now she’s working 3 shifts a week again. She’s fearful people have stopped going to the hospital and will never return, she’ll lose her house, etc.

Crazy and there’s no end in sight.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I actually don’t have a huge issue with it because on balance I get my people back sooner. It’s just wreaking havoc with #1, lawyer and HR and our owners who’ve seen our positive rate go from 2% to 21% and are soiling their drawers. They’re finally starting to figure out 2/105 = 1.9% and our overall positive rate is still around 0.4%

That being said, minor adjustments to the rapid test would not result in other than a few hundredths of a percent less positives and would avoid about 1/3 of the false positives if not more.

Had some drinks with the Nurse down the street last night. She’s about to have a nervous breakdown because she went from 2-3 shifts per week for 4-5 months, then she had 60 hr (6-10’s) weeks for a month, now she’s working 3 shifts a week again. She’s fearful people have stopped going to the hospital and will never return, she’ll lose her house, etc.

Wow, really a lot of unintended consequences to what China released on us and the rest of the world. I am an old guy, and as soon as I see leaders and healthcare workers taking the new vaccine (fingers crossed we are within 2 months or so of that happening), I will get in line to get mine. I think once people believe they have some immunity and protection, they won't put off the hospital tests/procedures anymore, but we will see. It is people 50 and up, generally, that have to go to hospitals for elective procedures, so hopefully it won't take long to prioritize down to that age for vaccine availability.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Wow, really a lot of unintended consequences to what China released on us and the rest of the world. I am an old guy, and as soon as I see leaders and healthcare workers taking the new vaccine (fingers crossed we are within 2 months or so of that happening), I will get in line to get mine. I think once people believe they have some immunity and protection, they won't put off the hospital tests/procedures anymore, but we will see. It is people 50 and up, generally, that have to go to hospitals for elective procedures, so hopefully it won't take long to prioritize down to that age for vaccine availability.
I never try anything until it’s been around a while. Same reason not to buy a first year model car. Wait till they get the bugs out.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I never try anything until it’s been around a while. Same reason not to buy a first year model car. Wait till they get the bugs out.

I understand where you are coming from, but when I see governors, congressman, senators, doctors, etc. taking this thing, I will not be too far behind. I am tired of living this way - I realize there are risks with a vaccine, but I am willing to take those risks once I see others taking the same risk. This might be a bad decision, but it is one I will make.

I want to have a normal relationship with my grands again - not just see them in the backyard and outside trying to keep some distance.

wreck1

Georgia Tech Fan