The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

GT_EE78

Banned
They're baaaaack. Silly Gooses B10 are gonna play

Deleted member 2897

Someone reached out to the PAC-12 today to get an update, and they were reminded the PAC-12 didn’t play football in the first place.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Big 10 took quite the approach here:

- Daily rapid testing for everyone. That can't be cheap.
- 21 days until someone can return after a positive test.
- Over 5% of the team tests positive all operations are suspended.
- Population positivity rates can alter the football schedule.

With basically no off weeks, that may be an interesting season.

Deleted member 2897

Nothing has changed with respect to the reasoning they originally gave for not playing. Yet another data point in a long stream proving again this had nothing to do with player safety and virus transmission.

Deleted member 2897

If they test everyday, every player, every team, and use the actual results, it will be a zoo. Even if all healthy, there will be a bunch of false positives.

The last time I saw data on false positives for rapid testing, to your point it would essentially guarantee every single person at least one positive test about every 2-3 weeks.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am happy the B1G schools are going to play football, but the rapid tests may be less for protection of the athletes and more for protection of the universities. We shall see what happens. There are really smart people working hard to keep people safe and to restart their revenue streams.

This from the CDC website about 10 days ago:

"There are limited data to guide the use of rapid antigen tests as screening tests on asymptomatic persons to detect or exclude COVID-19, or to determine whether a previously confirmed case is still infectious."

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree this is an experiment. The rapid antigen is to be followed by the PCR test. I think both have to be a positive to count against a player.

Still, I'd think even a player who's put under restrictions or quarantine would still be tested. What if the next 4 days both come back negative...if that's even possible?

Glad they are trying regardless. I don't get Fox Sports South up here so will miss a Tech game or two. :(

LibertyTurns

Banned
The last time I saw data on false positives for rapid testing, to your point it would essentially guarantee every single person at least one positive test about every 2-3 weeks.
In order to ensure they captured the positives, they manipulated the test and now false positives are running around 30%. We finally had or first bonafide positive after the rapid test positive result. Small data set but it’s 7 false positives so far to 1 actual positive.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
7 players ain't nothin(assuming not all a position group). Unless there's more out for tracing ,this sure seems weak.
Was wondering the same thing. Why couldn't they just quarantine those players, test everyone again in case they were in contact, and then play the game as planned? Keep testing players like they normally do to make sure no one else is infected. Unless like half the team was positive I don't know why you would cancel/postpone the game.

slugboy

Staff member

This can hurt them. They play UNC and Clemson. UNC just plays Notre Dame. A one loss UNC gets the ACC Championship slot over a one-loss Notre Dame because record is the first tiebreaker, and UNC would have one more win (9-1 vs 10-1)

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Any team that can't field a team for any reason should have to forfeit.

That will get teams to prevent infection and not just kinda maybe try if it is convenient.

Worked great in TdF where 2 riders or staff test positive and the team was disqualified. 5 teams had one confirmed positive but none with 2.

Deleted member 2897

Any team that can't field a team for any reason should have to forfeit.

That will get teams to prevent infection and not just kinda maybe try if it is convenient.

Worked great in TdF where 2 riders or staff test positive and the team was disqualified. 5 teams had one confirmed positive but none with 2.

Yea, I mean most teams so far have missed players every week due to being inside that 14-21 day COVID positive test window. And they played.