The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
NCST temporarily shutting down all athletics.

At this point, I am sure our AA is doing a fine job trying to protect our athletes, but honestly, there is a lot of "luck" involved as well. It is a pathogen that seems to be fairly easily transmitted. I am glad GT sports are seeing basically no cases, but there is no guarantee of this continuing. Maybe we will hear that NC State was not following the best protocols, and if that is true, maybe they will be an exception, but the genie is out of the box, and no one knows where the genie (pathogen) is abiding.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree. There is also the unknown long term effects of the illness. Especially as it relates to heart issues.

When I was an 18 y/o college basketball player I was invincible (at least it seemed that way to me). Young people may be more vulnerable than we initially thought and that immortality mindset needs to be more aware of the dangers. Thankfully, Tech players seem to be following all the protocols and taking warnings seriously. If we play football this fall we need everyone to be as healthy as possible.

From an NBC article about the "explosion" of cases at many schools:

In many young people, the impulse-control part of the brain isn’t fully developed until around age 25, making students far more susceptible to “risky behavior” and peer pressure, Solomon said.

Additionally, Solomon said, many of the students enter college with “no first-hand experience with people being sick and dying."

“So to them all of this is very abstract,” she said.

To get students to cooperate and follow the safety protocols, universities need to come up with “a blend of carrots and sticks,” Solomon said.

Deleted member 2897

At this point, I am sure our AA is doing a fine job trying to protect our athletes, but honestly, there is a lot of "luck" involved as well. It is a pathogen that seems to be fairly easily transmitted. I am glad GT sports are seeing basically no cases, but there is no guarantee of this continuing. Maybe we will hear that NC State was not following the best protocols, and if that is true, maybe they will be an exception, but the genie is out of the box, and no one knows where the genie (pathogen) is abiding.

They had great success with only 8 positives all summer out of a couple thousand tests. Odds are (my speculation) it was social activities of various people based on what we’ve seen at colleges so far.

Many college kids obviously have a feeling they’re invincible. They’ve probably seen tons of their friends and peers get the virus over the last 6 months with no negative affects. But it’s no negative affects they can see, and of course another problem is that same careless Behavior can then spread it to other people.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The thing I still don't understand is how are they going to know about the other teams. Like with NC ST "pausing team activities" what does that mean for their week 1 opponent? How much practice time can be missed before you get to postpost a game? This is going to be really tricky to navigate. We made a lot of noise about teams coming off bye weeks against us, and there is always focus on Thursday night quick turn around games, so how do they handle missed practice spots that are essentially the same thing from a coaching stand point (though obviously not from a physical recovery perspective from the kids).

Deleted member 2897

The thing I still don't understand is how are they going to know about the other teams. Like with NC ST "pausing team activities" what does that mean for their week 1 opponent? How much practice time can be missed before you get to postpost a game? This is going to be really tricky to navigate. We made a lot of noise about teams coming off bye weeks against us, and there is always focus on Thursday night quick turn around games, so how do they handle missed practice spots that are essentially the same thing from a coaching stand point (though obviously not from a physical recovery perspective from the kids).

We may very well only end up playing four or five games. Or eight. Who knows. I think this year it’s a blessing if we just get to play any and we will all just do the best we can to play as many as we safely can.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We may very well only end up playing four or five games. Or eight. Who knows. I think this year it’s a blessing if we just get to play any and we will all just do the best we can to play as many as we safely can.
Agree it is a toss up of how many we get, and don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Just saying I really don't understand what the plan is for how to handle teams who miss practice time prior to a game day. Do they just ignore it? Do they get to make up time?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Agree it is a toss up of how many we get, and don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Just saying I really don't understand what the plan is for how to handle teams who miss practice time prior to a game day. Do they just ignore it? Do they get to make up time?

That is just a complication of attempting to play this year. There is no "make up time" available.

There are two bye-weeks, but they aren't the same weeks for every team. They could potentially move NC State's first game to week three, but that would mean that VT would have 10 straight weeks of games, which they are likely to disagree with. The non-conference game really disrupts the ACCs full control of the schedule.

If another team has issues preparing for the first game or playing in the first game, with an ACC only schedule the opponents could play, for example VT play Syracuse instead of UNC-Syracuse VT-NCST. However with non-conference teams mixed in, it makes those kinds of adjustments more difficult.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There is a 4-step precedent thanks to our week 2 opponent
  1. Send your team home indefinitely
  2. State the situation is out of your control
  3. Don't take a L
  4. Declare yourself national champions

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
State delays opener at vippy sue.

As stated previously by others, I think this season will be stop and go, at best, and possibly a full "stop" at some point. It is a mess, because they are dealing with an unpredictable situation. That is why I am surprised they are even trying, but I realize the $$ are hard to ignore sometimes.

Today is the start of reseating. Did anyone on here qualify for today? I get to choose late Friday afternoon, and just after a few hours today, I notice that the seats that were at the top of my list are already gone, although there still seem to be many 2-seat combos left throughout the stadium, including the upper east, where I have always sat.

GT_EE78

Banned
Well,Preseason predictions will continue to be entertaining- The bowl predictions from CBS (and We're IN!)
CFP
Bama/Okla ver Clemson/UGA
the other big money bowls
NC/Fla. A&M/Cinci, Aub/Mem, Tex/ND
ugh- drop a few cuz not enough teams
That leaves 74 spots for 76 teams. Only Arkansas and East Carolina, each of whom I project to be winless, miss out. Two other teams I project to be winless are Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech, though they get spots due to the APR tiebreaker. I have those two facing each other in the Birmingham Bowl.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Only Arkansas and East Carolina, each of whom I project to be winless, miss out. Two other teams I project to be winless are Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech, though they get spots due to the APR tiebreaker.
I’ll wager we’re not winless if we play a minimum of 8 games. Donate $100 to the charity of your choice?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well,Preseason predictions will continue to be entertaining- The bowl predictions from CBS (and We're IN!)
CFP
Bama/Okla ver Clemson/UGA
the other big money bowls
NC/Fla. A&M/Cinci, Aub/Mem, Tex/ND
ugh- drop a few cuz not enough teams
That leaves 74 spots for 76 teams. Only Arkansas and East Carolina, each of whom I project to be winless, miss out. Two other teams I project to be winless are Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech, though they get spots due to the APR tiebreaker. I have those two facing each other in the Birmingham Bowl.

Are there actually going to be that many bowl games? Sure the Rose Bowl can make a lot of TV money. Will the Redbox Bowl and the Holiday Bowl actually play if California won't allow them to sell tickets? Will the teams purchase a guarantee block of tickets if they are not legally able to sell them to their fans?

We don't know what is going to happen to the season. If the season is completed, the CFP will not have any issue making money. However, some of the lower tiered bowls are barely able to stay afloat. Even the ones that look empty on TV require the teams to purchase seats whether their fans buy them or not. If fans are still prohibited (like maybe in California), or if the number allowed in seats are too low the bowls might fold or at least cancel for this year.

GT_EE78

Banned
Are there actually going to be that many bowl games? Sure the Rose Bowl can make a lot of TV money. Will the Redbox Bowl and the Holiday Bowl actually play if California won't allow them to sell tickets? Will the teams purchase a guarantee block of tickets if they are not legally able to sell them to their fans?

We don't know what is going to happen to the season. If the season is completed, the CFP will not have any issue making money. However, some of the lower tiered bowls are barely able to stay afloat. Even the ones that look empty on TV require the teams to purchase seats whether their fans buy them or not. If fans are still prohibited (like maybe in California), or if the number allowed in seats are too low the bowls might fold or at least cancel for this year.
I'm not going to be surprised if many of those bowls get cancelled. Actually i expect that to happen. I think you're right that many wouldn't be able to make money.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
How does State justify postponing W1 outside the window for quarantining? They’re 3 weeks out. So if a team has a cluster of players quarantined they’re gonna cancel 3 games now?