The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

herb

Helluva Engineer
Is there any evidence of that at all or is that what you want to believe?

good question. Here is what Washington’s head coach said“… The Big Ten and the Pac-12, almost immediately at the same time, announced that we were going to postpone the season, and I believe all three other (Power Five) conferences are going to follow suit in due time.”https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...tball-seasons-would-impact-pac-12-recruiting/

based on all the reports from the various writers, it sure seemed that way, though it could have just been the perception

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Certainly this is my opinion. Do you have evidence to the contrary?
The burden of proof isn't on me but sure. On Sunday night the conference commissioners held an emergency meeting to discuss the situation. Its hard to imagine that this wasn't the topic of discussion and that the positions of each conference were made clear. On Monday it was reported by several places that the ACC and SEC were moving forward no matter what the Big 10 or Pac 12 did. On Tuesday the decisions were made. There is plenty of evidence that the Big 10 already knew the direction the ACC and SEC were going to go and they made their decision. There is literally no evidence that I have seen that the ACC and SEC were ever wavering at all.

herb

Helluva Engineer
The burden of proof isn't on me but sure. On Sunday night the conference commissioners held an emergency meeting to discuss the situation. Its hard to imagine that this wasn't the topic of discussion and that the positions of each conference were made clear. On Monday it was reported by several places that the ACC and SEC were moving forward no matter what the Big 10 or Pac 12 did. On Tuesday the decisions were made. There is plenty of evidence that the Big 10 already knew the direction the ACC and SEC were going to go and they made their decision. There is literally no evidence that I have seen that the ACC and SEC were ever wavering at all.

well, I mean, I just posted the Washington coach saying he thought the other three conferences were going to postpone in time. one Would think he had a reason to say that

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
well, I mean, I just posted the Washington coach saying he thought the other three conferences were going to postpone in time. one Would think he had a reason to say that
Plenty of people have said that they thought the other three conferences would cancel eventually. Some people still say that. There is absolutely no evidence to support it.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Plenty of people have said that they thought the other three conferences would cancel eventually. Some people still say that. There is absolutely no evidence to support it.

fair enough, I misunderstood. I agree no one has said they were going to. I thought the question was whether they were hoping or thought they would and I think there is evidence of that

I think you are very naive if you don't think that the Big 10 and Pac 12 conferences wanted the other conferences to postpone as well so that everyone could potentially play together in the spring.

Deleted member 2897

There is no evidence to support thinking that other conferences would follow, other than plenty of people in the PAC-12 and Big10 saying so?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Why should this bother the B10 or the Pac-12? In the six years of the CFP, the Pac-12 has had two teams selected. Oregon once and Washington once. The B10 has also only had two teams selected. Michigan State once and Ohio State three times. The CFP is all about the SEC and Clemson. Why should anyone else care about structuring their team around that goal?

Should be looking at number of appearances, not number of teams. He’ll, only 11 teams total have an appearance. ACC only has two teams, Big 12 has one, SEC has 3.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If i were scoring this I'd be inclined to award 4 points for winning, 2 for gettin to the champ game and 1 for an appearance
19/14/7 SEC/ACC/B10 others-8
I think it's interesting that the two B10 universities who complained loudest about not playing this fall were Ohio State and Michigan State. The same two who have made a CFP appearance. And, if I remember correctly, Oregon was the P12 member who wanted to play.

Deleted member 2897

You can lead a horse to water, but .................

A lot of lessons in there about how the student athletes can be safer than regular students and also where the real risks are. It’s also a reminder with his having just gotten the virus that a negative test only means he isn’t spreading it - it could take him a few months to fully get over it. Never even got sick but now it’s cost him the season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A lot of lessons in there about how the student athletes can be safer than regular students and also where the real risks are. It’s also a reminder with his having just gotten the virus that a negative test only means he isn’t spreading it - it could take him a few months to fully get over it. Never even got sick but now it’s cost him the season.
I agree. There is also the unknown long term effects of the illness. Especially as it relates to heart issues.

When I was an 18 y/o college basketball player I was invincible (at least it seemed that way to me). Young people may be more vulnerable than we initially thought and that immortality mindset needs to be more aware of the dangers. Thankfully, Tech players seem to be following all the protocols and taking warnings seriously. If we play football this fall we need everyone to be as healthy as possible.