The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yea if nobody’s asking to be tested, lower testing volumes are a good thing. If testing volumes are dropping because of supply chain shortages, that’s not good. I’m seeing what Liberty is. People started finally wearing masks and keeping their distance more about a month ago. Still not great, but we’re in an almost 2 month decline now. We peaked at 2300 cases in a day a long time ago and today’s number was 712.
We have not met with the hospital in over 2 weeks because they just don’t have anything to tell us, but it’s not shortages of test kits it’s shortages of people wanting or needing tests. You can want more tests, but if a person’s healhy they’re not taking time out of their day to go get randomly tested. On top of this if you’re not positive you don’t need 2, 3, 4, etc tests to get cleared to go back to work. 100 positive people need probably 300 tests, 6 positive people only need 20 tests. 100 positive people are making let’s say 100 other people sick which requires another 300 tests plus all around them who were exposed, another 400 maybe. That’s 700 tests. 6 people only drive 6 more positive and only expose 25 people. That’s 45 instead of 700. That’s why the numbers are dropping off so fast.

I will also not I went to the supermarket twice in the last week. Every single person was wearing a mask, even people wearing them all the way to their cars. That has drastically changed.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have not met with the hospital in over 2 weeks because they just don’t have anything to tell us, but it’s not shortages of test kits it’s shortages of people wanting or needing tests. You can want more tests, but if a person’s healhy they’re not taking time out of their day to go get randomly tested. On top of this if you’re not positive you don’t need 2, 3, 4, etc tests to get cleared to go back to work. 100 positive people need probably 300 tests, 6 positive people only need 20 tests. 100 positive people are making let’s say 100 other people sick which requires another 300 tests plus all around them who were exposed, another 400 maybe. That’s 700 tests. 6 people only drive 6 more positive and only expose 25 people. That’s 45 instead of 700. That’s why the numbers are dropping off so fast.

I will also not I went to the supermarket twice in the last week. Every single person was wearing a mask, even people wearing them all the way to their cars. That has drastically changed.

The case numbers in NC are definitely declining, but they are still very high. This is basically for the reasons you stated. Stores and malls are now demanding that people wear masks while inside. Our bars are closed. Our theaters are closed. Life is not back to normal. While some school systems are partially open, most are starting back with virtual only classes. There will be no Fall high school sports. What is very disturbing though, is that case clusters are popping up in small towns and communities far away from the cities. My county, Pamlico, is spiking in the last 2-3 weeks. It is very alarming.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
There is no way to maintain any semblance of amateur athletics if it is conducted that way. Mark Emmert said months ago that NCAA sports are a no-go if campuses are not open.
He said students should be on campus. He didn’t say all students. Most schools are doing some kind of hybrid. If students were on campus and the players were online why would that be a problem?

Deleted member 2897

The case numbers in NC are definitely declining, but they are still very high. This is basically for the reasons you stated. Stores and malls are now demanding that people wear masks while inside. Our bars are closed. Our theaters are closed. Life is not back to normal. While some school systems are partially open, most are starting back with virtual only classes. There will be no Fall high school sports. What is very disturbing though, is that case clusters are popping up in small towns and communities far away from the cities. My county, Pamlico, is spiking in the last 2-3 weeks. It is very alarming.

I would disagree (if the numbers I just looked up are correct). You’re at what, 1,000 cases a day right now? Out of a population of 11 million?

We have half that population here in S.C. and our daily cases yesterday was 721. We have about 1300 in the hospital. So do you - at twice the population. North Carolina has always been (whenever I’ve looked) much better than the General US average numbers.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would disagree (if the numbers I just looked up are correct). You’re at what, 1,000 cases a day right now? Out of a population of 11 million?

We have half that population here in S.C. and our daily cases yesterday was 721. We have about 1300 in the hospital. So do you - at twice the population. North Carolina has always been (whenever I’ve looked) much better than the General US average numbers.
Having numbers that are better than SC has not been the governor's goal. But, while you are correct that NC is doing better, we are not where we need to be at this time. All of us are nervous that the school reopenings will generate new clusters like the one here in my county.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He said students should be on campus. He didn’t say all students. Most schools are doing some kind of hybrid. If students were on campus and the players were online why would that be a problem?

Are the students on campus going to be there because campus is open, or are they going to be there because they have nowhere else to go? GT was closed in March, but there were still students living in the dorms. They had to apply for exceptions and they had to have reasons that they couldn't leave.

It goes to the question of what college athletics are. Are they amateur athletes competing for their schools, or are they professionals? If they are professionals then they should be paid. If they are professionals, then athletic departments should not be considered non-profits and they should pay taxes. Are the schools going to treat the sports and the athletes like amateurs or like professionals.

Some players are pushing for unionization. The NCAA and universities are pushing back and are currently trying to get anti-trust exemptions from Congress. Even if the schools don't really care about maintaining the sports as amateur sports, the optics of treating the sports like professional sports will remove any chance of anti-trust help from Congress.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Big Ten: 2020 Season Cancelled

Nebraska: B1G sucks, Nebraska vehemently disagrees, we're taking our ball and finding other people to play with...

Big Ten: Go for it. You add nothing to the B1G. Lincoln Nebraska is an armpit. Oh, and remember to drop off that $50 million check on the way out. Good luck...

Nebraska:

Techster

Helluva Engineer

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Big Ten: 2020 Season Cancelled

Nebraska: B1G sucks, Nebraska vehemently disagrees, we're taking our ball and finding other people to play with...

Big Ten: Go for it. You add nothing to the B1G. Lincoln Nebraska is an armpit. Oh, and remember to drop off that $50 million check on the way out. Good luck...

Nebraska:

This is the president and chancellor telling Scott Frost to zip it and take his medicine.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I am a GT alum, long-term football season ticket holder, and opted in for the 2020 football season. With all of that being said, I just think the risk is too high to proceed. Witness the current mess at High Schools that have tried to open in person in Georgia. It is really difficult to get school age kids to follow directives of mask and Social Distancing. Kids/Young adults feel they are indestructable (I certainly did at that age). So we will come down with a number of Covid 19 cases no matter the precautions. Add to that that Blacks are more apt to catch the disease than others, it just looks very difficult to pull off. By the way, I played a team sport at GT and the peer pressure to be part of the pact (agreeing to play) is enormous so I am not sure how many athletes are really comfortable with the situation but don't want to rock the boat.

If cancelling Fall plays out, I wouldn't want to be the AD. The alternative of playing in the Spring means football players would play 20 to 25 games in an 8 or 9 month period with only a couple of months in between (end in May, Fall camp starts in August). It will lead to far more physical injuries due to lack of downtime. But without that revenue, how many schools can survive financially? If you cancel playing in the Fall and don't play football in the Spring, you would have to take draconian measures such as eliminate all sports for a year, cut a number of sports (though harder for GT since you need a minimum number of teams to qualify for D1 and we are not much above that number), reduce number of coaches, etc.

So my guess is they will play football in some manner (either Fall or Spring) because they feel they have no financial option. I hope it works out.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Are the students on campus going to be there because campus is open, or are they going to be there because they have nowhere else to go? GT was closed in March, but there were still students living in the dorms. They had to apply for exceptions and they had to have reasons that they couldn't leave.

It goes to the question of what college athletics are. Are they amateur athletes competing for their schools, or are they professionals? If they are professionals then they should be paid. If they are professionals, then athletic departments should not be considered non-profits and they should pay taxes. Are the schools going to treat the sports and the athletes like amateurs or like professionals.

Some players are pushing for unionization. The NCAA and universities are pushing back and are currently trying to get anti-trust exemptions from Congress. Even if the schools don't really care about maintaining the sports as amateur sports, the optics of treating the sports like professional sports will remove any chance of anti-trust help from Congress.
Interesting thoughts but don’t know what it has to do with my original post about a hypothetical scenario that could have been attempted.