The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
South Carolina has been trending down for nearly 2 straight months.

That is simply not true. As of late June we were identified as a global hotspot for cases trending back up and as of late July, even the Charleston Post and Courier, the link I posted, admitted we were an emerging global hot spot. You're not an emerging global hot spot if cases are trending down. Also, it flies in the face of what my wife and her coworkers were seeing during that time. I live in SC and my wife is a nurse who has spent considerable time on the COVID floor at her hospital. SC was not in any way, shape, or form doing better than average as recently as a few weeks ago.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Regardless of this data discussion, at least we’re squabbling about a good situation (improving numbers). I see massive differences and improvements in people’s behaviors compared to 2 months ago (although there is still room for improvement).

I wish I saw the same here in the Augusta area. Social distancing and mask wearing has improved but has a LONG way to go

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yep, the sad truth.

Our odds of playing against Florida State are probably even lower than playing football at all. When a school has internal dysfunction like that and serious health complaints from inside the organization, that is not good.

People on the FSU message boards are calling the player and the other player's mother whiners that are only trying to cause problems for the new coach.

I don't know if the accusations are true or not. Could be true. Could be misunderstandings. Could be people unhappy with their role with the new coach. However, IF there are actually issues such as being described, it isn't as simple as blaming the coach. If they are not running the announced number of tests, people in other parts of the athletic department would have to know about it. It wouldn't just be a sign of dysfunction on the football team, it would be the entire athletic department.

Deleted member 2897

That is simply not true. As of late June we were identified as a global hotspot for cases trending back up and as of late July, even the Charleston Post and Courier, the link I posted, admitted we were an emerging global hot spot. You're not an emerging global hot spot if cases are trending down. Also, it flies in the face of what my wife and her coworkers were seeing during that time. I live in SC and my wife is a nurse who has spent considerable time on the COVID floor at her hospital. SC was not in any way, shape, or form doing better than average as recently as a few weeks ago.

Sorry, just looked it up - we’ve been trending down for 5 weeks, which I guess doesn’t qualify for “almost 2 months” LOL. I’m talking about good numbers and down trends statewide. I don’t doubt there are areas that aren’t doing well.

We were not a global hot spot in late July. I don’t care if a newspaper said it. The data didn’t support such a statement.

I’ll be back in about a week to state more accurately we’ve been trending down for nearly 2 straight months. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
People on the FSU message boards are calling the player and the other player's mother whiners that are only trying to cause problems for the new coach.

I don't know if the accusations are true or not. Could be true. Could be misunderstandings. Could be people unhappy with their role with the new coach. However, IF there are actually issues such as being described, it isn't as simple as blaming the coach. If they are not running the announced number of tests, people in other parts of the athletic department would have to know about it. It wouldn't just be a sign of dysfunction on the football team, it would be the entire athletic department.

The culture that Norvell inherited had to be pretty toxic. It's quite a lot to overhaul that. Who knows? But it doesn't look good. The first situation actually left me with some positive feelings from Norvell in his response. This is giving me more doubts. As the saying goes, where there's smoke there is fire. The fire might be mostly with the residual toxic elements or it might be with Norvell or it might be within the Athletic Department. It might be small, but it's definitely there.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sorry, just looked it up - we’ve been trending down for 5 weeks, which I guess doesn’t qualify for “almost 2 months” LOL. I’m talking about good numbers and down trends statewide. I don’t doubt there are areas that aren’t doing well.

I’ll be back in about a week to state more accurately we’ve been trending down for nearly 2 straight months. :D

Per SCDHEC we hit our peak on July 18th and have been trending down since. That's a little over three weeks.

Deleted member 2897

The culture that Norvell inherited had to be pretty toxic. It's quite a lot to overhaul that. Who knows? But it doesn't look good. The first situation actually left me with some positive feelings from Norvell in his response. This is giving me more doubts. As the saying goes, where there's smoke there is fire. The fire might be mostly with the residual toxic elements or it might be with Norvell or it might be within the Athletic Department. It might be small, but it's definitely there.

The amount of talent they’ve had yet been unable to win a game recently just shows how bad that culture must have been/is.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

Like you said, we don’t know both sides, but it always discourages me when fans are so quick to blow off these kids they “root for” on Saturdays. I would hope if a GT player and parent made such accusations, we’d at least show them enough respect that we wouldn’t automatically call them whiners and wait to hear more facts from both sides before making judgement.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The Emory system admissions have been trending down. The total hospitalized patients has been reasonably steady, but this probably has to do more with the long lengths of stay for hospitalized COVID patients and lag time for onset of at least severe symptoms after becoming infected. Overall, seeing anything trend down or at least be steady is a significant accomplishment. As long as we can sustain the R below 1, we'll be fine. That is far from a guarantee, though.

Deleted member 2897

Per SCDHEC we hit our peak on July 18th and have been trending down since. That's a little over three weeks.

Do you live in South Carolina? You don't draw a trend line from one day - especially not an outlier day where the state published the fact that the data that day included some catch up/delayed information. That day you point to as 'the peak' at over 2300 cases included over 500 cases that occured on other days but were delayed. The day after the 2300 our total was 1400. The day before that day was 1500.

You can go to the SC DHEC website and see the actual trend if you want and the day by day numbers. We've been trending down for 5 weeks.

Using their numbers and chart, we started trending down on or around July 10th, which if you look at the calendar represents 35 days or 5 weeks.
VWWef1W.png

Last edited by a moderator:

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Like you said, we don’t know both sides, but it always discourages me when fans are so quick to blow off these kids they “root for” on Saturdays. I would hope if a GT player and parent made such accusations, we’d at least show them enough respect that we wouldn’t automatically call them whiners and wait to hear more facts from both sides before making judgement.

I think some people would, but others would call them out for it.

It would really surprise me if it happened like that here, though.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, I’m definitely not insinuating that I believe our coaching staff and athletic department would be doing something like that. Regardless of what you think of his coaching ability, it seems like Coach Collins is genuine in his care for players. I’m just saying IF a player claimed that was happening here, I’d hope our community would be more open-minded about it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

If it did happen at GT, the athlete could go to a Fulton County judge and get a ruling that barred discussion of it on Internet forums. Oh, and that the player must be allowed to play in football games too.;);)

Do you live in South Carolina? You don't draw a trend line from one day - especially not an outlier day where the state published the fact that the data that day included some catch up/delayed information. That day you point to as 'the peak' at over 2300 cases included over 500 cases that occured on other days but were delayed. The day after the 2300 our total was 1400. The day before that day was 1500.

You can go to the SC DHEC website and see the actual trend if you want and the day by day numbers. We've been trending down for 5 weeks.

Using their numbers and chart, we started trending down on or around July 10th, which if you look at the calendar represents 35 days or 5 weeks.
VWWef1W.png
Since he has not responded yet to your question about his residency, I will tell you for him that, in spite of his name, he DOES live in SC.

Deleted member 2897

Since he has not responded yet to your question about his residency, I will tell you for him that, in spite of his name, he DOES live in SC.

he probably has other things to do right now then reply immediately to an Internet message board. :DThe reason I asked that question is because it was not highly advertised that the published numbers that day were wildly incorrect. What’s more, they left those numbers as-is instead of correctly assigning the test results to the proper day the results occurred. Crazy.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
he probably has other things to do right now then reply immediately to an Internet message board. :DThe reason I asked that question is because it was not highly advertised that the published numbers that day were wildly incorrect. What’s more, they left those numbers as-is instead of correctly assigning the test results to the proper day the results occurred. Crazy.
We are seeing numbers corrected every day in NC. I think last week's data are accurate, but yesterday's are probably off a bit due to the lag in reporting test results.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There is no way to maintain any semblance of amateur athletics if it is conducted that way. Mark Emmert said months ago that NCAA sports are a no-go if campuses are not open.
Ah, there's your problem...thinking that college football or college basketball are amateur sports. That hasn't been true for years now...