The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Milwaukee

Banned
If you have the time this is a great podcast from last night with Dan Wetzel, Pete Thamel and Pat Forde on college football (1 hr)

Also this article talks about two things that would help make college football more likely. It has a link to the PAC12 doctors recommendation. What was interesting in that is that there is only one fleeting mention to cardial inflammation, their reasons for a no go decision are almost completely separate from that. They largely involve uncontrolled community spread and the lack of testing (especially quick testing) that makes it dangerous for student-athletes to be on campus just like it makes it dangerous for regular students. They were also very hesitant about the safety of any travel right now.
Their charts basically suggest if you have a positivity rate above 7.5% you need to be testing every day with 24 hr test turnarounds and if you have positivity rates between 5-7.5% you need to be testing every other day. Or course many of those schools are also planning on being virtual this fall.
Rapid testing is one of the things mentioned in this article as well as the fact there is almost no availability of rapid testing.

There is no doubt in my mind that liability is a huge thought on the minds of the Presidents and likely the University lawyers. They talk about that in the podcast. Basically the lawyers are already circling the coonferences where they might play feeling they will have easy court cases.

As an FYI, we have our second local HS in 2 days that is getting shut down due to a COVID outbreak. This one happens to be the HS that services my subdivision. Schools haven't even been in 2 full weeks yet. Doesn't fill me with confidence about what happens after college kids are on campus for a few weeks.

i will also add the Big12 did a nice job of putting the ACC in the cat bird seat. ACC is now the first to go so the Big12 and SEC can watch the ACC and see what happens. If things go well they can go forward and if not they can cancel and let the ACC take the blame.

😂 you literally cited 2 of the coronaBros. It’s well known what crusade they’re on, it’s the same as yours. #coronaBros

😂 😂 😂

Deleted member 2897

Evidently we got a very small refund in Spring, but my kid lives in a slum-lord house. I think the refund was like $100 or something. :/ Somehow I never heard about it...I guess it bought beer.
You raised them right.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Way back someone on talk radio pitched an idea of bubbles for college football like the NBA. Pick 2 sites for the ACC for example Pittsburgh and Atlanta. Have half of the conference at each site, contract with a few hotels so you can control the teams and play a common stadiums. Play however many games, maybe play each team twice and then the 2 best records meet somewhere for the championship game. Might not have been a bad approach after all.
Where would they practice?
Weight room time where?
Classes be damned? What if a class isn't available online?

Just some detail questions 😉

LibertyTurns

Banned
Testing speed is an overall problem. Texas cases down 10%. But tests down 53%, ouch. Southern testing way down.

SEC and ACC strategy? https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/12/acc...cline-in-testing-skews-drop-in-new-cases.html
There’s nobody showing up to be tested where I live. You can walk right in and get tested now. A month ago there were cars lined up 2 miles down the road by the fairgrounds. You had to make an appointment at every other testing facility and the wait was 2-3 days. A month ago I had almost 80 people quarantined, today I’m down to 4 with 2 returning tomorrow. ICU rooms are now packed to the gills and the hospital is overwhelmed. A month ago Nurses were on reduced hours. Go figure.

Deleted member 2897

Testing speed is an overall problem. Texas cases down 10%. But tests down 53%, ouch. Southern testing way down.

SEC and ACC strategy? https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/12/acc...cline-in-testing-skews-drop-in-new-cases.html

Yea if nobody’s asking to be tested, lower testing volumes are a good thing. If testing volumes are dropping because of supply chain shortages, that’s not good. I’m seeing what Liberty is. People started finally wearing masks and keeping their distance more about a month ago. Still not great, but we’re in an almost 2 month decline now. We peaked at 2300 cases in a day a long time ago and today’s number was 712.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Don't think the SEC does, they are not worried about teams leaving

Yes. The SEC does have a grant of rights. All P5 conferences do.

"The ACC and SEC both have long-term media grant-of-rights agreements, running through 2035-36 and 2033-34, respectively."

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yes. The SEC does have a grant of rights. All P5 conferences do.

"The ACC and SEC both have long-term media grant-of-rights agreements, running through 2035-36 and 2033-34, respectively."
Yes I looked it up had to answer my post for some reason I can't edit on my phone

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Where would they practice?
Weight room time where?
Classes be damned? What if a class isn't available online?

Just some detail questions 😉
I mean we’re clearly not doing it but you’re telling me there wouldn’t be a way to find fields and weight room time for 6 teams in Atlanta? Plus most schools are going to end up online so do used why that would have been a problem.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
No way to edit on phone can on my computer
You should be able to edit on phone. Three dots next to the report button is a drop down menu with “edit”.
1597286597618.png

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I mean we’re clearly not doing it but you’re telling me there wouldn’t be a way to find fields and weight room time for 6 teams in Atlanta? Plus most schools are going to end up online so do used why that would have been a problem.

There is no way to maintain any semblance of amateur athletics if it is conducted that way. Mark Emmert said months ago that NCAA sports are a no-go if campuses are not open.