The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Putting an NBA team in a bubble involves what, 25 supposedly professional people per team? A college football operation would need to have something like 150 people per team in their bubble. And they're college kids who aren't going to be nearly as responsible about maintaining the integrity of the bubble. A bubble for a college team isn't feasible, and I don't believe they will be able to do any better than their current protocols.
But would it have been more manageable than what’s happening now? I don’t know if not could have been pulled off but it might have been worth a shot.

Deleted member 2897

Once again, so maybe you can finally hear it. You can make plans to minimize the spread on college campuses. You cannot make plans to minimize the spread on a football field.

No that’s not the point. You can wear an integrated face shield and do the rapid test in the locker room before the games. You cannot prevent students from congregating in dorms, sorority houses, fraternity houses, restaurants, bars, etc. But the universities can claim possible tonight, so that when thousands of students get long-term heart defects they can’t be sued, but they’ll have all their money!

Deleted member 2897

No that’s not the point. You can wear an integrated face shield and do the rapid test in the locker room before the games. You cannot prevent students from congregating in dorms, sorority houses, fraternity houses, restaurants, bars, etc. But the universities can claim possible tonight, so that when thousands of students get long-term heart defects they can’t be sued, but they’ll have all their money!

Voice to text fail. Universities can claim *plausible deniability*. You’re right there making their case for them, you’re right on the goal line. Now just punch it in. They feel helpless to prevent it in football, but they have excuses in the General student population. So they’ll take all that money, but going after the football money is too big a risk. When I say they don’t care about the student athletes health, I don’t mean like they totally and completely do t care. I just mean this decision is only about the money and risk, under cover of health.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You can wear an integrated face shield and do the rapid test in the locker room before the games.

I read that someone was working on visors that don't fog up. Visors can cause visibility issues. Also, they don't really do a lot to prevent respiratory droplets from spreading. It would keep linemen who are face to face from breathing in each other's face, but as they rotate around or struggle on the bottom of a fumble pile it wouldn't really do any good. If they could wear an N95 mask while playing, that would help prevent the spread of respiratory droplets, but it would probably cause players to pass out when exerting themselves.

It looks like the NBA is using rapid test. MLB is not. I don't know what the availability of the rapid tests are, but they should probably be reserved for health care purposes unless there are enough. If they were readily available I would assume that MLB would be using those instead of waiting for a day for results.

If the Big 10 heart issue reports are correct, they should probably do EKGs before practices and competitions also.

These are all things that the athletic departments and conferences should have been looking at by early April. They may have been, and I assume that they have been looking at such things. People on an Internet forum are not going to solve those issues.

Deleted member 2897

I read that someone was working on visors that don't fog up. Visors can cause visibility issues. Also, they don't really do a lot to prevent respiratory droplets from spreading. It would keep linemen who are face to face from breathing in each other's face, but as they rotate around or struggle on the bottom of a fumble pile it wouldn't really do any good. If they could wear an N95 mask while playing, that would help prevent the spread of respiratory droplets, but it would probably cause players to pass out when exerting themselves.

It looks like the NBA is using rapid test. MLB is not. I don't know what the availability of the rapid tests are, but they should probably be reserved for health care purposes unless there are enough. If they were readily available I would assume that MLB would be using those instead of waiting for a day for results.

If the Big 10 heart issue reports are correct, they should probably do EKGs before practices and competitions also.

These are all things that the athletic departments and conferences should have been looking at by early April. They may have been, and I assume that they have been looking at such things. People on an Internet forum are not going to solve those issues.

Football games last 60 minutes. An offensive lineman plays about 30 minutes if time of possession is equal. If he subs some snaps like most, he probably maxes out around 22-25 minutes. There’s also the running clock in between plays. So the actual play time is probably 14-18 minutes. Face shields work and it’s why healthcare professionals use them. So now we’re all the way down to the bottom of a pile and can someone’s breath down there work it’s way out of their face shield and into another plays in the few seconds before the pile clears. That’s also assuming there are a bunch of positive players - they should do fast return tests in the lockeroom before the game. Half the tests we run in the country right now are fast response. Meanwhile, while we’re talking about seconds and minutes, the regular students are spending hours and hours (and the players likely will too) hanging out in their dorms, fraternity and sorority houses, restaurants, apartments, and bars. There will be a lot of students and athletes who test positive. I’m guessing the chances are just about zero that it will happen in an actual game.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, as soon as outbreaks start occurring on campus among the general student body (and I don’t see how they don’t occur), I think most universities will close back down/move to distance learning. There’s zero way to get college aged people to listen and follow COVID protocols.

Yes, but in the mean-time they got their money for the dorms, food programs and the professor's were able to rent out their slum-lord houses just off-campus.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Football games last 60 minutes. An offensive lineman plays about 30 minutes if time of possession is equal. If he subs some snaps like most, he probably maxes out around 22-25 minutes. There’s also the running clock in between plays. So the actual play time is probably 14-18 minutes. Face shields work and it’s why healthcare professionals use them. So now we’re all the way down to the bottom of a pile and can someone’s breath down there work it’s way out of their face shield and into another plays in the few seconds before the pile clears. That’s also assuming there are a bunch of positive players - they should do fast return tests in the lockeroom before the game. Half the tests we run in the country right now are fast response. Meanwhile, while we’re talking about seconds and minutes, the regular students are spending hours and hours (and the players likely will too) hanging out in their dorms, fraternity and sorority houses, restaurants, apartments, and bars. There will be a lot of students and athletes who test positive. I’m guessing the chances are just about zero that it will happen in an actual game.

Do you have a link to half of the tests being fast response? Most people I know who have been tested have waited for over a week for the results. MLB is waiting a day for the results. If there are 350,000 15 minute tests per day being run in the US, why is MLB not using them?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but in the mean-time they got their money for the dorms, food programs and the professor's were able to rent out their slum-lord houses just off-campus.

I don't know about slum-lords in Home Park, but didn't GT refund dining programs, housing, and fees when students left campus in March?

Deleted member 2897

Do you have a link to half of the tests being fast response? Most people I know who have been tested have waited for over a week for the results. MLB is waiting a day for the results. If there are 350,000 15 minute tests per day being run in the US, why is MLB not using them?

I don’t know, why don’t you ask the MLB.

It was on the today show, I’ll try to look it up. I don’t doubt regular people’s tests are slower. I would guess that higher level government people and healthcare workers probably soak up most of the supply.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you have the time this is a great podcast from last night with Dan Wetzel, Pete Thamel and Pat Forde on college football (1 hr)

Also this article talks about two things that would help make college football more likely. It has a link to the PAC12 doctors recommendation. What was interesting in that is that there is only one fleeting mention to cardial inflammation, their reasons for a no go decision are almost completely separate from that. They largely involve uncontrolled community spread and the lack of testing (especially quick testing) that makes it dangerous for student-athletes to be on campus just like it makes it dangerous for regular students. They were also very hesitant about the safety of any travel right now.
Their charts basically suggest if you have a positivity rate above 7.5% you need to be testing every day with 24 hr test turnarounds and if you have positivity rates between 5-7.5% you need to be testing every other day. Or course many of those schools are also planning on being virtual this fall.
Rapid testing is one of the things mentioned in this article as well as the fact there is almost no availability of rapid testing.

There is no doubt in my mind that liability is a huge thought on the minds of the Presidents and likely the University lawyers. They talk about that in the podcast. Basically the lawyers are already circling the coonferences where they might play feeling they will have easy court cases.

As an FYI, we have our second local HS in 2 days that is getting shut down due to a COVID outbreak. This one happens to be the HS that services my subdivision. Schools haven't even been in 2 full weeks yet. Doesn't fill me with confidence about what happens after college kids are on campus for a few weeks.

i will also add the Big12 did a nice job of putting the ACC in the cat bird seat. ACC is now the first to go so the Big12 and SEC can watch the ACC and see what happens. If things go well they can go forward and if not they can cancel and let the ACC take the blame.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don’t know, why don’t you ask the MLB.

It was on the today show, I’ll try to look it up. I don’t doubt regular people’s tests are slower. I would guess that higher level government people and healthcare workers probably soak up most of the supply.

MLB is using its own testing lab - one that previously did doping testing. I believe they added a second testing lab as well after they had big issues early on.
Unfortunately colleges are unlikely to have a similar setup.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also, watching Nebraska get ***** slapped by the Big10 Commissioner last night was quite amusing. They got to throw their hissy fit for their fans and then the Commissioner basically said sit down and shut up.
Nebraska right now doesn't bring much to the B10. It has only finished first once in since joining the B10 (it's second season) and has had losing records both in conference and overall in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Basically they are just content. The podcast i linked talked about it for a few minutes, they mentioned that Frost really came across poorly and B10 fans will have a long memory when Nebraska comes to play games. Also, mentioned he might want to worry more about winning games since he is avg about $1M per win.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Also, watching Nebraska get ***** slapped by the Big10 Commissioner last night was quite amusing. They got to throw their hissy fit for their fans and then the Commissioner basically said sit down and shut up.
Nebraska right now doesn't bring much to the B10. It has only finished first once in since joining the B10 (it's second season) and has had losing records both in conference and overall in 4 of the last 5 seasons. Basically they are just content. The podcast i linked talked about it for a few minutes, they mentioned that Frost really came across poorly and B10 fans will have a long memory when Nebraska comes to play games. Also, mentioned he might want to worry more about winning games since he is avg about $1M per win.
What happens when you sign your rights away .