The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

GT_EE78

Banned
Football fans: How could the NCAA even fathom delaying muh college football? Every day there are millions of Americans living their life like normal.
America: Leads the world in COVID cases by wide margin, and cases on the rise worse than before.
Nah, they been falling for nearly a month
things will be better in September when it's time for toe meet leather!
1596986689456.png

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I repeat, there will be no college football this year . Let the bashing begin, but I come bearing the truth. Sorry if it’s not what you want to hear
SILENCE!
The bearer of bad news is always the one who wants it to happen. You're obviously a pantywaist who hates college football!

GT_EE78

Banned
I repeat, there will be no college football this year . Let the bashing begin, but I come bearing the truth. Sorry if it’s not what you want to hear
It's too bad that so many want to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Sure, much work is required and there's no guarantees,
but at least we could stop recycling the same dirty bathwater.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Believing there will not be a 2020 football season this fall does not mean a person does not want football with a passion equal to those who think this all a left wing media hoax. The data are simply demoralizing right now and I don't think a slight down-tick in the case counts changes anything. Just a few days after the North Paulding photo was posted the school has nine new cases. If you think Ga Tech will be very different than NPHS then you have a ton more optimism than I have.

Deleted member 2897

Believing there will not be a 2020 football season this fall does not mean a person does not want football with a passion equal to those who think this all a left wing media hoax. The data are simply demoralizing right now and I don't think a slight down-tick in the case counts changes anything. Just a few days after the North Paulding photo was posted the school has nine new cases. If you think Ga Tech will be very different than NPHS then you have a ton more optimism than I have.

But what does any of that have to do with having a football season?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So what? Why should we cancel the season? We're proving that we can conduct our business without a bunch of kids ending up in the hospital. You can do all these things and more without a bunch of kids ending up in the hospital - that's my point. Schools around the country all summer have proven this.

What school exactly are you referring to? What exactly have then been doing "all summer" long? Can you name even one?

I don't know of any school that has been in session "all summer". I haven't kept up with football programs from other schools, but I am not aware of any program that has been operating during the summer the same as they did last year.

You asked why cancel the season. I stated some reasonable reasons that the schools/conferences might not want to have football this fall.
You stated that teams have been conducting football and proven over the summer that it is safe. I pointed out that teams have not been conducting normal football.
You now say that "Schools around the country" have been doing something with kids "all summer". I am pointing out that schools have not been in session "all summer".
Now you will undoubtedly point to something else. Maybe people ate at Waffle House "all summer" long?

I will point you back to your original question and my first response in this exchange.
I mean really, where is the logic? They’ve been together practicing for a couple months without a lot of issues. NASCAR, golf, MLB, hockey, the Tour de France...all trying. People go to work every day in Walmart’s, grocery stores, and everywhere else. I don’t get what would drive this activity to be canceled.

• The NCAA/conferences/teams are currently lobbying congress to get favorable treatment. IF there are player safety issues, any chance of getting favorable treatment evaporates.
  • In the current climate, if one player dies from COVID-19, the PR will be so bad that it could be the end of college athletics. Not just a problem. Not just governmental oversight. It could force colleges to stop fielding teams.
  • Without any kind of COVID-19 liability waiver, there will be lawsuits. Some players are going to get sick no matter what the NCAA/conferences/teams do. Even if nobody gets sick from team activities, they are on campus and somebody will get sick. If several players on several teams get sick, it could be a class action lawsuit against the NCAA/conference. Go back to the first point. Getting favorable treatment from congress will be impossible when facing a class action lawsuit for causing injury to "kids" in the group you want to get favorable treatment from.
  • The NCAA is not going to be able to sustain a bubble like NBA or Premier League. If they could, then the players wouldn't even resemble "students".(back to favorable treatment argument)
  • An MLB type bubble will have several problems. Student athletes will have to attend class. Student athletes are very likely to attend parties, even if it isn't allowed. Once there is a player infected on a team, it will probably travel through the team the same way that it has traveled through MLB teams. In addition, football is more likely to spread the virus from one team to another than MLB.
  • In order to test all FBS programs three time a week it would require about 1% of ALL COVID-19 tests conducted in the US. I don't know how many of the tests have results available within a day, but to get those results within a day it will require providing fast results for asymptomatic sports teams while delaying results for people who are quarantined because they have some symptoms.
I have answered your question and provided several reasonable reasons that the teams/conferences might decide not to play this fall. It is possible that there are ways to answer/mitigate some or all of those. I think that is doubtful since the teams/conference/NCAA have had since mid-March to address them and as of yet have not.

Your question sounds dismissive: "I mean really, where is the logic?" If the season if postponed until spring, you and I might disagree with it. We might disagree with the stated reasoning behind it. However, to say that there is zero reason is pretty flippant.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But what does any of that have to do with having a football season?
That's a good question and I think it answers itself. We have to have an environment where our players can attend classes and social events safely. If the campus quickly resembles NPHS we will not be able to assure their safety anywhere on campus and the virus will probable spread among team members. Granted, that might not happen, but it greatly increases the risk.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If we don't have football in the fall do any of you really think we will have football in the spring after winter when the 2nd wave hits.
Just play in the fall it's not going to get any better for a long time.

DonDonGT

Georgia Tech Fan
If we don't have football in the fall do any of you really think we will have football in the spring after winter when the 2nd wave hits.

No football won’t happen in the spring either, that’s a pipe dream. This entire season is a wash and hopefully 2021 isn’t fubar either

Deleted member 2897

What school exactly are you referring to? What exactly have then been doing "all summer" long? Can you name even one?

I don't know of any school that has been in session "all summer". I haven't kept up with football programs from other schools, but I am not aware of any program that has been operating during the summer the same as they did last year.

You asked why cancel the season. I stated some reasonable reasons that the schools/conferences might not want to have football this fall.
You stated that teams have been conducting football and proven over the summer that it is safe. I pointed out that teams have not been conducting normal football.
You now say that "Schools around the country" have been doing something with kids "all summer". I am pointing out that schools have not been in session "all summer".
Now you will undoubtedly point to something else. Maybe people ate at Waffle House "all summer" long?

I will point you back to your original question and my first response in this exchange.

• The NCAA/conferences/teams are currently lobbying congress to get favorable treatment. IF there are player safety issues, any chance of getting favorable treatment evaporates.
  • In the current climate, if one player dies from COVID-19, the PR will be so bad that it could be the end of college athletics. Not just a problem. Not just governmental oversight. It could force colleges to stop fielding teams.
  • Without any kind of COVID-19 liability waiver, there will be lawsuits. Some players are going to get sick no matter what the NCAA/conferences/teams do. Even if nobody gets sick from team activities, they are on campus and somebody will get sick. If several players on several teams get sick, it could be a class action lawsuit against the NCAA/conference. Go back to the first point. Getting favorable treatment from congress will be impossible when facing a class action lawsuit for causing injury to "kids" in the group you want to get favorable treatment from.
  • The NCAA is not going to be able to sustain a bubble like NBA or Premier League. If they could, then the players wouldn't even resemble "students".(back to favorable treatment argument)
  • An MLB type bubble will have several problems. Student athletes will have to attend class. Student athletes are very likely to attend parties, even if it isn't allowed. Once there is a player infected on a team, it will probably travel through the team the same way that it has traveled through MLB teams. In addition, football is more likely to spread the virus from one team to another than MLB.
  • In order to test all FBS programs three time a week it would require about 1% of ALL COVID-19 tests conducted in the US. I don't know how many of the tests have results available within a day, but to get those results within a day it will require providing fast results for asymptomatic sports teams while delaying results for people who are quarantined because they have some symptoms.
I have answered your question and provided several reasonable reasons that the teams/conferences might decide not to play this fall. It is possible that there are ways to answer/mitigate some or all of those. I think that is doubtful since the teams/conference/NCAA have had since mid-March to address them and as of yet have not.

Your question sounds dismissive: "I mean really, where is the logic?" If the season if postponed until spring, you and I might disagree with it. We might disagree with the stated reasoning behind it. However, to say that there is zero reason is pretty flippant.

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to be dismissive. I’m just pointing out that the only justifiable reason to cancel the season so far is fear. Maybe a few games into the season we’ll stumble upon something dangerous, but we’re not there yet.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I believe we will. Put it this way. If the virus isn't in a containment phase by spring, we will have much bigger problems than lack of football. The economy will be toast.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I wasn’t trying to be dismissive. I’m just pointing out that the only justifiable reason to cancel the season so far is fear. Maybe a few games into the season we’ll stumble upon something dangerous, but we’re not there yet.

• Fear of the virus (which I think is what you are referring to) -- May or may not be reasonable.
  • Fear of liability -- I think this is reasonable even for someone who has no fear of the virus. There will be lawsuits if a season is played.
  • Loss of persuasion with congress -- If one parent testifies at a congressional hearing that their son was given no choice but to compete and he contracted COVID-19, there is zero chance that congress will help the NCAA.
  • Lack of availability to testing -- If all FBS programs were to test three times a week like the SEC has announced, that would be about 0.9% of all tests per week in the US. They would need to get the results soon, so it would have to delay test results for people who need them for health reasons, not entertainment reasons. Is it reasonable for NCAA sports to use that much of a health resource just to play a game?
  • Money -- If they play one or two games and "stumble upon something dangerous", then the season is over and difficult to recover. If the season is delayed until spring, they might be able to play more marquee games. Maybe 8 conference games and 2 inter-P5 games for every P5 team. The decisions this year are difficult. It seems to me that what the teams/conferences have been doing to this point is to delay decisions as long as possible. If the season is delayed until spring, it makes things difficult. However, that still isn't as difficult as just cancelling the season. Nor is it as difficult as starting a season and having it cancelled in a couple of weeks.