The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

I get your point about heat stroke and CTE, but the possibility of long-term effects from COVID seem like they might be significant and quite serious.
We don't know all there is to know about that, but it is quite concerning to many in the field of medicine.

That's the thing. This virus is too new to know or even predict what lasting effects it may have. Any effects can have only lasted for about 6 months at the most. While it seems to be more contagious than the flu, it may not have any more lasting effects than the flu as far as we could possibly know at this time.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
It’s not wrong or hyperbole. This thing is less harmful than the flu for young people. There are many things much more dangerous and risky like CTE and heat stroke and what-not. I’m not saying we shouldn’t be careful (pardon the double negative), but the data is just not there that these guys are having negative health outcomes around the country.
It is hyperbole. It may be less likely than some other issues but it isn’t zero. Saying that just means you are willing to overlook someone else’s risk. BTW there is a kid at another school whose mother has taken to social media to talk about her son’s. Issues. Has he died, thankfully no, but he is dealing with some pretty serious ****.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That's the thing. This virus is too new to know or even predict what lasting effects it may have. Any effects can have only lasted for about 6 months at the most. While it seems to be more contagious than the flu, it may not have any more lasting effects than the flu as far as we could possibly know at this time.

The virus has barely been around for six months, and yes the full effects are unknown. But there are very troubling signs that they may be quite serious, even for those who are asymptomatic. This is not the flu.

From the article:
Heart Trouble
A recent study from the University of Frankford in Germany showed abnormal heart findings in more than 75% of people studied who had recently recovered from COVID-19. A considerable majority of patients in the study were found to have had inflammation in the heart and muscle lining.

This can be troubling as inflammation in the heart can lead to long-lasting cardiac disease and failure.

Lung Problems
We know that COVID-19 attacks the lungs, causing inflammation. This may leave survivors with persistent shortness of breath.

Some people who recover from COVID-19 can experience a dry cough or pain when breathing after the illness. Those who had to be placed on a ventilator may have more severe symptoms.

Brain and Neurological Issues
Research shows COVID-19 can affect the brain and central nervous system. Some people have reported symptoms like headaches, dizziness, trouble concentrating or recalling things and even hallucinations after recovering from COVID-19. Investigators indicate that symptoms are most common in patients who had severe forms of disease. Strokes are also an ongoing concern among patients who have recovered from COVID-19. Learn more about if COVID-19 can cause a stroke.

“As inflammation increases in the body, so does the chance of a stroke-causing blood clot, although we do not yet entirely understand why clotting is more common with COVID-19 infection than with other viral infections such as the flu,” explains Dr. Jacobs. “Inflammation is known to be a risk factor damaging the heart. Others recovering from COVID-19 have had heartbeat irregularities as well.”

Deleted member 2897

It is hyperbole. It may be less likely than some other issues but it isn’t zero. Saying that just means you are willing to overlook someone else’s risk. BTW there is a kid at another school whose mother has taken to social media to talk about her son’s. Issues. Has he died, thankfully no, but he is dealing with some pretty serious ****.

Yup, so we have 1 report out of tens of thousands of football players. You’re not wrong - there are risks. But if we stop a sport because of a 0.0001 risk, then CTE and a myriad of other issues should have stopped football a long time ago.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The virus has barely been around for six months, and yes the full effects are unknown. But there are very troubling signs that they may be quite serious, even for those who are asymptomatic. This is not the flu.

From the article:
Heart Trouble
A recent study from the University of Frankford in Germany showed abnormal heart findings in more than 75% of people studied who had recently recovered from COVID-19. A considerable majority of patients in the study were found to have had inflammation in the heart and muscle lining.

This can be troubling as inflammation in the heart can lead to long-lasting cardiac disease and failure.

Lung Problems
We know that COVID-19 attacks the lungs, causing inflammation. This may leave survivors with persistent shortness of breath.

Some people who recover from COVID-19 can experience a dry cough or pain when breathing after the illness. Those who had to be placed on a ventilator may have more severe symptoms.

Brain and Neurological Issues
Research shows COVID-19 can affect the brain and central nervous system. Some people have reported symptoms like headaches, dizziness, trouble concentrating or recalling things and even hallucinations after recovering from COVID-19. Investigators indicate that symptoms are most common in patients who had severe forms of disease. Strokes are also an ongoing concern among patients who have recovered from COVID-19. Learn more about if COVID-19 can cause a stroke.

“As inflammation increases in the body, so does the chance of a stroke-causing blood clot, although we do not yet entirely understand why clotting is more common with COVID-19 infection than with other viral infections such as the flu,” explains Dr. Jacobs. “Inflammation is known to be a risk factor damaging the heart. Others recovering from COVID-19 have had heartbeat irregularities as well.”
"Some people..." & "this may..." sounds like useless information. Even saying "75% of people studied had inflammation of the heart" is not good information. What percent of people have inflammation anyway? What was the state of these people prior to getting Covid. Is having heart inflammation a cause or effect of getting Covid? Does it improve over time?

I am not dismissing the seriousness of the disease. Clearly it's meaningfully worse than a typical flu. But so little real information to make proper judgements based on my personal circumstances. Rather there is an abundance of generalized statements presented as if they were meaningful facts.

Deleted member 2897

"Some people..." & "this may..." sounds like useless information. Even saying "75% of people studied had inflammation of the heart" is not good information. What percent of people have inflammation anyway? What was the state of these people prior to getting Covid. Is having heart inflammation a cause or effect of getting Covid? Does it improve over time?

I am not dismissing the seriousness of the disease. Clearly it's meaningfully worse than a typical flu. But so little real information to make proper judgements based on my personal circumstances. Rather there is an abundance of generalized statements presented as if they were meaningful facts.

The studies were also in tiny groups of like 50 people. You can’t conclude anything from sample sizes like that and you have to wonder why none of them expanded their surveys after seeing that or why nobody else has.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It’s not wrong or hyperbole. This thing is less harmful than the flu for young people. There are many things much more dangerous and risky like CTE and heat stroke and what-not. I’m not saying we shouldn’t be careful (pardon the double negative), but the data is just not there that these guys are having negative health outcomes around the country.

The only age group for which covid is less dangerous than flu is very small children, dunno where you are getting this. Yes, very small risk of serious illness/death for young adults but still probably 10x greater than flu.

Deleted member 2897

The only age group for which covid is less dangerous than flu is very small children, dunno where you are getting this. Yes, very small risk of serious illness/death for young adults but still probably 10x greater than flu.

I got that information from the CDC. About 200-800 (it can vary) people under age 18 die of the flu each year in the US. We’re less than 100 so far from COVID.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Brandon Adams died step-dancing. We’ve had a recruit run over by a train. We had another seriously injure himself riding an ATV, luckily survived. We can’t bubble wrap 18-22 year olds or anyone else for that matter.
All of those were off the field incidents. You can’t really compare them to school sanctioned activities where the school has a responsibility to provide a safe environment for the players and can be held liable if they don’t. What is reportedly the biggest issue for the Big 10 presidents right now? Unknown long term effects and liability.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Again, for very small children, covid appears less dangerous, but not for young adults and up. Regardless, you are not accounting for the fact that far, far fewer kids have gotten covid than flu, because we have taken steps to keep them from getting it.

Bottom line: This is a tough decision.

Deleted member 2897

Not according to what I see on the CDCs website. But it seems like you’re saying this is true...but only because we’re wearing masks, social distancing, and practicing good hygiene. I mean, that’s exactly right - we can live life and also be safe too. Also, we’re talking about super fit kids, not the people who are sedentary and morbidly obese, are fighting cancer, and all the other complicating factors.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Not according to what I see on the CDCs website. But it seems like you’re saying this is true...but only because we’re wearing masks, social distancing, and practicing good hygiene. I mean, that’s exactly right - we can live life and also be safe too. Also, we’re talking about super fit kids, not the people who are sedentary and morbidly obese, are fighting cancer, and all the other complicating factors.

A lineman at Indiana has already been hospitalized with serious complications. Weight is a big issue.
I will leave you with this from the former FDA director. With that, I will see myself out because none of us have any say in this, anyway. I pray for wisdom on the part of decision makers.

Deleted member 2897

A lineman at Indiana has already been hospitalized with serious complications. Weight is a big issue.
I will leave you with this from the former FDA director. With that, I will see myself out because none of us have any say in this, anyway. I pray for wisdom on the part of decision makers.

Maybe. We dont test much for the flu. Back during the swine flu epidemic, the CDC actually ordered testing halted. A lot of this is models. There’s a lot of CYA and concern of lawsuits, so I always expect the worse. Will be interesting to hear their explanation though when so many other sports are operating. If we’re going to not play because 1 guy has a bad health outcome, we should have canceled due to CTE (and 10 other things) long ago. And to be clear, you are making very good points and making sense. I’m not using CTE to argue against you. I’m surprised every year that football starts. Especially now with this year - it’s amazing the things people care about and what they ignore.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Here's something I saw today that may or may not support the idea that COVID is less harmful for young people than the flu. We just don't know. I didn't realize that COVID was a blood based pathogen and not a pneumonia type lung infection. And knowing what we are fighting, there are much better ways to fight COVID.

Just to kind of stay in line with this thread, I think we'll not see fall football but will likely see a watered down version in the Spring. At that time, we may even have fans if there is a *semi-effective* vaccine that is taken by players and certified to have been taken by fans.

(My bolding)
"A professor of pharmacy at U of Toronto sent this clearly worded update to his family.

For this pandemic there’s a greater chance of survival for those getting infected 3 months later, like June 2020, than those who got
infected 3 months earlier, say February 2020. The reason for this is that Doctors and scientists know more about COVID-19 now than 3 months ago, and hence are able to treat patients better. I will list *5 important things* that we know now that we didn’t know in February 2020 for your understanding.

1. COVID-19 was initially thought to cause deaths due to *pneumonia- a lung infection*- and so Ventilators were thought to be the best way to treat sick patients who couldn’t breathe. *Now we are realizing that the virus causes blood clots in the blood vessels of the lungs* and other parts of the body; and this causes the reduced oxygenation. Now we know that just providing oxygen by ventilators will not help, but we have to prevent and dissolve the micro clots in the lungs. This is why we are using drugs like *Aspirin and Heparin (blood thinners that prevent clotting) as protocol in treatment regimens in June 2020.*

2. Previously patients used to drop dead on the road, or even before reaching a hospital, due to reduced oxygen in their blood - OXYGEN SATURATION. This was because of *HAPPY HYPOXIA*- where even though the oxygen saturation was gradually reducing the COVID-19, patients did not have symptoms until it became critically less, like sometimes even 70%. **Normally we become breathless if oxygen saturation reduces below 90%. **This breathlessness is not triggered in Covid patients, and so we were getting the sick patients very late to the hospitals, in February 2020. Now, since knowing about happy hypoxia, we are monitoring oxygen saturation of all covid patients *with a simple home use pulse oximeter and getting them to hospital if their oxygen saturation drops to 93% or less*. This gives more time for doctors to correct the oxygen deficiency in the blood and a better survival chance in June 2020.

3. We did not have drugs to fight the corona virus in February 2020. We were only treating the complications caused by it... hypoxia. Hence most patients became severely infected. ```**Now we have 2 important medicines: FAVIPIRAVIR & REMDESIVIR**``` These are ANTIVIRALS that can kill the corona virus. By using these two medicines we can prevent patients from becoming severely infected and therefore cure them BEFORE THEY GO TO HYPOXIA. This knowledge we have in JUNE 2020... not in February 2020.

4. Many Covid-19 patients die not just because of the virus, but also due the patient’s own immune system responding In an exaggerated manner called *CYTOKINE STORM*. This stormy strong immune response not only kills the virus but also kills the patients. In February 2020, we didn’t know how to prevent it from happening. Now in June 2020, we know that *easily available medicines called Steroids,* that doctors around the world have been using for almost 80 years, *can be used to prevent the cytokine storm in some patients*.

5. Now we also know that people with hypoxia became better just by making them lie down on their belly - known as prone position. Apart from this, a few days ago, Israeli scientists have discovered that a chemical known as Alpha Defensin, produced by the patients White blood cells, can cause the micro clots in blood vessels of the lungs; and this could possibly be prevented by a drug called Colchicine, used over many decades in the treatment of Gout.

So now we know for sure that patients have a better chance at surviving the COVID-19 infection, in June 2020, than in February 2020,
for sure.

Going forward, there’s nothing to panic about Covid-19 - if we remember that a person who gets infected later, has a better chance at survival, than one who got infected early.

Let’s continue to follow precautions, wear masks and practice social distancing. Please distribute this message, as we all need some
positive news..."

Milwaukee

Banned
Here's something I saw today that may or may not support the idea that COVID is less harmful for young people than the flu. We just don't know. I didn't realize that COVID was a blood based pathogen and not a pneumonia type lung infection. And knowing what we are fighting, there are much better ways to fight COVID.

Just to kind of stay in line with this thread, I think we'll not see fall football but will likely see a watered down version in the Spring. At that time, we may even have fans if there is a *semi-effective* vaccine that is taken by players and certified to have been taken by fans.

(My bolding)
"A professor of pharmacy at U of Toronto sent this clearly worded update to his family.

For this pandemic there’s a greater chance of survival for those getting infected 3 months later, like June 2020, than those who got
infected 3 months earlier, say February 2020. The reason for this is that Doctors and scientists know more about COVID-19 now than 3 months ago, and hence are able to treat patients better. I will list *5 important things* that we know now that we didn’t know in February 2020 for your understanding.

1. COVID-19 was initially thought to cause deaths due to *pneumonia- a lung infection*- and so Ventilators were thought to be the best way to treat sick patients who couldn’t breathe. *Now we are realizing that the virus causes blood clots in the blood vessels of the lungs* and other parts of the body; and this causes the reduced oxygenation. Now we know that just providing oxygen by ventilators will not help, but we have to prevent and dissolve the micro clots in the lungs. This is why we are using drugs like *Aspirin and Heparin (blood thinners that prevent clotting) as protocol in treatment regimens in June 2020.*

2. Previously patients used to drop dead on the road, or even before reaching a hospital, due to reduced oxygen in their blood - OXYGEN SATURATION. This was because of *HAPPY HYPOXIA*- where even though the oxygen saturation was gradually reducing the COVID-19, patients did not have symptoms until it became critically less, like sometimes even 70%. **Normally we become breathless if oxygen saturation reduces below 90%. **This breathlessness is not triggered in Covid patients, and so we were getting the sick patients very late to the hospitals, in February 2020. Now, since knowing about happy hypoxia, we are monitoring oxygen saturation of all covid patients *with a simple home use pulse oximeter and getting them to hospital if their oxygen saturation drops to 93% or less*. This gives more time for doctors to correct the oxygen deficiency in the blood and a better survival chance in June 2020.

3. We did not have drugs to fight the corona virus in February 2020. We were only treating the complications caused by it... hypoxia. Hence most patients became severely infected. ```**Now we have 2 important medicines: FAVIPIRAVIR & REMDESIVIR**``` These are ANTIVIRALS that can kill the corona virus. By using these two medicines we can prevent patients from becoming severely infected and therefore cure them BEFORE THEY GO TO HYPOXIA. This knowledge we have in JUNE 2020... not in February 2020.

4. Many Covid-19 patients die not just because of the virus, but also due the patient’s own immune system responding In an exaggerated manner called *CYTOKINE STORM*. This stormy strong immune response not only kills the virus but also kills the patients. In February 2020, we didn’t know how to prevent it from happening. Now in June 2020, we know that *easily available medicines called Steroids,* that doctors around the world have been using for almost 80 years, *can be used to prevent the cytokine storm in some patients*.

5. Now we also know that people with hypoxia became better just by making them lie down on their belly - known as prone position. Apart from this, a few days ago, Israeli scientists have discovered that a chemical known as Alpha Defensin, produced by the patients White blood cells, can cause the micro clots in blood vessels of the lungs; and this could possibly be prevented by a drug called Colchicine, used over many decades in the treatment of Gout.

So now we know for sure that patients have a better chance at surviving the COVID-19 infection, in June 2020, than in February 2020,
for sure.

Going forward, there’s nothing to panic about Covid-19 - if we remember that a person who gets infected later, has a better chance at survival, than one who got infected early.

Let’s continue to follow precautions, wear masks and practice social distancing. Please distribute this message, as we all need some
positive news..."

That’s a very long story of junk from one particular source, you realize that right? You have a better chance of getting struck by lightning and dying than you do corona. Please calm tf down.
There are facts in front of some of your faces and you won’t even look at them because you’re blinded by the fear porn. 99.6% survival rate. What are you screaming about dude?

We’ve gone full.

Milwaukee

Banned
There’s an #iwanttoplay hashtag movement among the overwhelming majority of cfb players that has started on social media ever since the MAC announcement that lied and said they were worried about player safety when in reality it was a financial decision for that conference. The big schools are ready to rock. LFG