The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
A certain segment of our population believe they always know what everyone else should do. I’m more worried about long term effects from having 2 cell phones stuck to my body for the past 15 years than I am about worries over COVID. It’s simple - if you are really worried then stay home and don’t play. No different than me preferring to take a back road than taking 285. In a free society you can do what you feel Is best for you. We are giving this virus way more respect than it deserves. When we get hit with a real pandemic and everyone blows it off because of our chicken little response today it will really be sad.
👍Great post!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Question for Spring football:

Will early entry freshmen or January 2021 transfers be eligible to play in the "Spring 2020" season? If so, does that count as one of their seasons of eligibility? Even if it's only 6-8 games?

Another question:

If the cancellation of all Fall sports wipes out the November & December basketball games, does the season slide side two months, ending with May Madness?

Deleted member 2897

I mean really, where is the logic? They’ve been together practicing for a couple months without a lot of issues. NASCAR, golf, MLB, hockey, the Tour de France...all trying. People go to work every day in Walmart’s, grocery stores, and everywhere else. I don’t get what would drive this activity to be canceled.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I mean really, where is the logic? They’ve been together practicing for a couple months without a lot of issues. NASCAR, golf, MLB, hockey, the Tour de France...all trying. People go to work every day in Walmart’s, grocery stores, and everywhere else. I don’t get what would drive this activity to be canceled.

Is it a coincidence that the NCAA banned liability waivers on Wednesday?

Somebody involved with NCAA football will catch the virus. That will happen whether they play or not. That will happen whether they workout or practice, or not. Liability waivers are probably not enforceable if there are obvious actions or negligence. Without them, even if a program exceeds the requirements from the NCAA, conference, and local health authorities, a player who catches the virus from breaking the rules to attend a large party can sue the athletic department. If there are several players/coaches/trainers/support staff/etc who become infected, even through their own fault, many law firms will be eager to start a class action lawsuit. A class action lawsuit at the same time that the NCAA is petitioning the federal government for protection from states who are passing laws against the NCAA's amateur model won't help their cause.

Is weekly testing enough? If third party testing is required, that would be a minimum of 16,900 tests per week for FBS football programs. If the results are to be returned within a couple of days, then the football tests for non-symptomatic players/staff would have to be prioritized over symptomatic people from the general public. If all of FBS follows the SEC model and conducts three tests per week, that would be about 1% of all COVID-19 tests conducted in the US. Is having football this fall worth taking up 1% of the testing capacity of the US? Is having football this fall worth prioritizing 1% of all tests away from symptomatic people to test a non-symptomatic football player three to five times before the symptomatic person gets their results?

Teams have been together for a while, but GT has not practiced with pads yet. https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...-padded-practices/QWDDXIXMCNGBHI6FM7E3QZ3I7I/ They are practicing in helmets and shorts to minimize contact. Don't confuse working out in small groups with players being on top of each other in pads.

NASCAR isn't like football. Golf isn't like football. Bicycling isn't like football. Hockey is being conducted inside a bubble. MLB is being conducted inside a "soft" bubble and has had extreme issues when someone inside that bubble does something they shouldn't do. None of those are accurate comparisons. College football would be more like MLB, except that transmission between teams would also occur.

I am not arguing that football should not be played. I am just answering your question. There are financial reasons to not play college football this fall. Spring football might have more fans in the stands and allow more marquee national matchups. There are health concerns, and even public health resource availability concerns to playing football this fall.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
There are still problems with playing in the Spring , the NFL daft , the next season starting about 3 months later, more seniors opting out. injuries that could lead into the next season ( I know that this could happen also if they played in the fall. and how would they work out the scholarship numbers ( if we are relying on the NCAA to come up with an answer we are in trouble ) .
Just play the games this fall I don't care if there are no fans in the stadiums just play let the players do what they came to Tech to do. If you play the season in the spring then you may as well make every season start the same time, And who said it will be any better in the spring.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Is it a coincidence that the NCAA banned liability waivers on Wednesday?

Somebody involved with NCAA football will catch the virus. That will happen whether they play or not. That will happen whether they workout or practice, or not. Liability waivers are probably not enforceable if there are obvious actions or negligence. Without them, even if a program exceeds the requirements from the NCAA, conference, and local health authorities, a player who catches the virus from breaking the rules to attend a large party can sue the athletic department. If there are several players/coaches/trainers/support staff/etc who become infected, even through their own fault, many law firms will be eager to start a class action lawsuit. A class action lawsuit at the same time that the NCAA is petitioning the federal government for protection from states who are passing laws against the NCAA's amateur model won't help their cause.

Is weekly testing enough? If third party testing is required, that would be a minimum of 16,900 tests per week for FBS football programs. If the results are to be returned within a couple of days, then the football tests for non-symptomatic players/staff would have to be prioritized over symptomatic people from the general public. If all of FBS follows the SEC model and conducts three tests per week, that would be about 1% of all COVID-19 tests conducted in the US. Is having football this fall worth taking up 1% of the testing capacity of the US? Is having football this fall worth prioritizing 1% of all tests away from symptomatic people to test a non-symptomatic football player three to five times before the symptomatic person gets their results?

Teams have been together for a while, but GT has not practiced with pads yet. https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...-padded-practices/QWDDXIXMCNGBHI6FM7E3QZ3I7I/ They are practicing in helmets and shorts to minimize contact. Don't confuse working out in small groups with players being on top of each other in pads.

NASCAR isn't like football. Golf isn't like football. Bicycling isn't like football. Hockey is being conducted inside a bubble. MLB is being conducted inside a "soft" bubble and has had extreme issues when someone inside that bubble does something they shouldn't do. None of those are accurate comparisons. College football would be more like MLB, except that transmission between teams would also occur.

I am not arguing that football should not be played. I am just answering your question. There are financial reasons to not play college football this fall. Spring football might have more fans in the stands and allow more marquee national matchups. There are health concerns, and even public health resource availability concerns to playing football this fall.

I didn’t say it was logical. It’s not. Yes 1 sport isn’t like another. Of course. NASCAR crews are all on top of themselves pretty much anytime they’re not sleeping. IIWII. They’re just looking for an excuse when there isn’t one. People are letting life pass them by. You can absolutely avoid about 20 maladies if you hide under a rock. You can also avoid them even while being active and participating in life, as all these football teams have already proven this summer.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Did the government pass a new law and move spring to February, I was thinking spring started March 21 but it would still be good weather. ( i'm just being a smart A*S )
Been in Florida for a while & I can assure you spring starts in February. We get max 2-3 weeks of winter in January then it’s straight into spring. I don’t know how the Yanks are going to deal with snow, but if you delay football season much past March & April you got games played in high heat presenting different issues.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Football fans: How could the NCAA even fathom delaying muh college football? Every day there are millions of Americans living their life like normal.

America: Leads the world in COVID cases by wide margin, and cases on the rise worse than before.

Football fans:
1596983202543.jpeg

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t say it was logical. It’s not. Yes 1 sport isn’t like another. Of course. NASCAR crews are all on top of themselves pretty much anytime they’re not sleeping. IIWII. They’re just looking for an excuse when there isn’t one. People are letting life pass them by. You can absolutely avoid about 20 maladies if you hide under a rock. You can also avoid them even while being active and participating in life, as all these football teams have already proven this summer.

Name one NCAA football team that has participated in tackle football this summer. Just one.

Deleted member 2897

Name one NCAA football team that has participated in tackle football this summer. Just one.

Ita not the tackling that’s the problem. It’s close contact in huddles, at the meals, lockerooms, weight rooms, meeting rooms. You’d think if we were thinking about canceling seasons we would be seeing all kinds of horror stories by now.

DonDonGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I repeat, there will be no college football this year . Let the bashing begin, but I come bearing the truth. Sorry if it’s not what you want to hear

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ita not the tackling that’s the problem. It’s close contact in huddles, at the meals, lockerooms, weight rooms, meeting rooms. You’d think if we were thinking about canceling seasons we would be seeing all kinds of horror stories by now.

Have you paid attention to how GT football is handling things? The have pods of players. Those pods of players workout together. They don't workout with other pods. They are using multiple locker rooms with at least two locker space between players. They have been meeting outside, seated in groups of the same pods they workout with but still separated. I don't believe they have been in close contact huddles up to this point.

Deleted member 2897

Have you paid attention to how GT football is handling things? The have pods of players. Those pods of players workout together. They don't workout with other pods. They are using multiple locker rooms with at least two locker space between players. They have been meeting outside, seated in groups of the same pods they workout with but still separated. I don't believe they have been in close contact huddles up to this point.

So what? Why should we cancel the season? We're proving that we can conduct our business without a bunch of kids ending up in the hospital. You can do all these things and more without a bunch of kids ending up in the hospital - that's my point. Schools around the country all summer have proven this.