The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Failure to wear a mask for 30 minutes at the store. Hold off having beach parties. Stuff like that.
Increasing testing and tracing immediately and LEARNING as much as possible to eliminate spread.

Increase PPE production(the defense act?) so that everyone had a mask and publicly recommend to follow what the CDC guidelines were. You know the people who’ve studied crap like this their entire lives.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Failure to wear a mask for 30 minutes at the store. Hold off having beach parties. Stuff like that.

That's what I thought you meant, just wanted to be sure. But the data I looked at does not show that concerning masks. It was not until mid June, at least in Georgia, that the infections increased dramatically. https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report And yes, I wear a mask when out. I think that beach parties/bars and street parties may very well be likely causes of the recent increases.

Sorry, I have beaten this dead horse too long.

As far as the season goes, I do not see how we can get there by September. The NBA, NFL and MLB are struggling to play and they have resources colleges do not. I believe there will be some reason those seasons will end up being cancelled as well. Whether it is one infection that results in a player or coach being hospitalized or some other news I cannot think of right now. Golf and auto racing seem to be sports that have a chance of moving forward. Contact sports have a high hurdle to cross. (OK baseball is not a real contact sport)

The fallout of missed pro and college sports is going to impact many folks in many ways. Does the AJC let Ken Suguira go? Or any of the other sports writers? Many lives are going to be messed up.

This is getting depressing.

Buzzmaster

Georgia Tech Fan
Is Notre Dame considered a non conference foe?

And how about this idea, only season ticket holders can attend games (stinger mobile pass is a season ticket). No single game tickets. No game day sales. Only recruits and families will be allowed to enter without season tickets.
How about if you are sick stay home. If you go carry your own mask and wear it and carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with you and use it. Social distancing and awareness along with showing respect for other people's space goes a long way. We can do this safely and efficiently if we all just act responsibly.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
20200707_122639.jpg

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

The purpose of the "bandana" isn't to be around or treating a sick person or playing with viruses for hours. It's to lessen our chances of inhaling it when someone comes by us in the store, etc... that may or may not have it. Have seen lots of doctors saying even if you inhale some particles (less than you would have without cloth mask,etc) obviously the lesser the better and that can be the difference between mild or severe disease. What virologists need vs. the everyday person shopping isn't remotely the same thing so that meme is pointless.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bristol has a capacity of over 160000 so that is less than 20% capacity.
NASCAR is currently the only US sport attempting to play with fans.
Most sports haven't even started up yet and when they do you have the MLS, WNBA, NBA, MLS all playing in bubbles. PGA is playing without fans for the rest of 2020 season.
neither the MLB, NFL or college football have started yet. US Open tennis is expecting to play in August, but without fans and players largely isolated.
3 NFL teams have already announced that if they have fans at all it will be a greatly reduced capacity - Ravens said no more than 15K. Philly has already said no fans. I expect the NY and CA teams will have no fans.

So that outkick the coverage article is pretty misleading. it's reading like everything is up and running and that isn't accurate at all.

College football is always going to be the hardest to bring back. It has the largest number of players (over 13,000), it is the most widely dispersed (FBS schools in 46 states), it is the least centralized so it is the most difficult to make decisions on across the country, and it is the only one involving student-athletes rather than professionaly paid players which brings in a whole other set of issues. It also is going to require the greatest amount of testing and has the least amount of money to do it.

i hope we get some college football, but to deny that there are legitimate issues to be overcome does not help us get closer to having it. Those are the issues that the conference commissioners are trying to deal with right now. Multiple commissioners have basically said if we don't get the case numbers down we won't be able to have college football, So it is up to us to see if we can get our sport back.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bristol has a capacity of over 160000 so that is less than 20% capacity.
NASCAR is currently the only US sport attempting to play with fans.
Most sports haven't even started up yet and when they do you have the MLS, WNBA, NBA, MLS all playing in bubbles. PGA is playing without fans for the rest of 2020 season.
neither the MLB, NFL or college football have started yet. US Open tennis is expecting to play in August, but without fans and players largely isolated.
3 NFL teams have already announced that if they have fans at all it will be a greatly reduced capacity - Ravens said no more than 15K. Philly has already said no fans. I expect the NY and CA teams will have no fans.

So that outkick the coverage article is pretty misleading. it's reading like everything is up and running and that isn't accurate at all.

College football is always going to be the hardest to bring back. It has the largest number of players (over 13,000), it is the most widely dispersed (FBS schools in 46 states), it is the least centralized so it is the most difficult to make decisions on across the country, and it is the only one involving student-athletes rather than professionally paid players which brings in a whole other set of issues. It also is going to require the greatest amount of testing and has the least amount of money to do it.

i hope we get some college football, but to deny that there are legitimate issues to be overcome does not help us get closer to having it. Those are the issues that the conference commissioners are trying to deal with right now. Multiple commissioners have basically said if we don't get the case numbers down we won't be able to have college football, So it is up to us to see if we can get our sport back.
This is a really good post, but what seems overlooked by many is that the communities surrounding the college campuses are a COVID chaos in many states. Those college campuses are not bubbles that contain all (and only) those people who need to be protected in order to play football. The people who said this did not impact them because they were at less risk carry a huge amount of the blame if we do not have football this year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Univ of Michagan sent out statement this morning on their ticket policy for this year. I suspect most other P5 schools are going to be similar.

The first thing to note is that in the first sentence they say 'if' there is a season,
It then goes on to say if fans are allowed at all it will be in a reduced capacity.
Finally, it also mentions there will be no season tickets. If any fans are allowed it will be a reduced # of single game tickets that are available to season ticket holders and students only to purchase.
Any tickets sold will be done on a mobile platform and details will be announced if there is a season and if they have fans. There will be no general public tickets for sale.

https://sports.yahoo.com/in-announc...t-be-a-college-football-season-151117833.html

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Let's assume we allow some limited number of fans at home games. How much are you willing to "bid" (donate) to attend a game? Let's also assume parents are allowed to attend with a few seats. I have no problem with a system that relies on donations to determine attendance even though long time season ticket holders may be out bid. We will need the revenue. System already works a lot like that anyway. Best seats go to the highest donor amounts and longevity.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Let's assume we allow some limited number of fans at home games. How much are you willing to "bid" (donate) to attend a game? Let's also assume parents are allowed to attend with a few seats. I have no problem with a system that relies on donations to determine attendance even though long time season ticket holders may be out bid. We will need the revenue. System already works a lot like that anyway. Best seats go to the highest donor amounts and longevity.
I could be wrong but I think they would go by the points in the last letter they sent out ( I think about a month or two ago ) . If you are not in the group to get your season ticket cause your point are too low , I'm sure there will be some that will get theirs but not be comfortable going that would sell them. guess a guess if 12,000 fans is the number your points would be or ( ranking on the letter be under 3500 )

Milwaukee

Banned
FYI, my Packers announced no fans at Family Night (which will be shown on TV state wide) or pre-season home games or any of training camp.
https://www.greenbaypressgazette.co...training-camp-preseason-game-fans/5443525002/

IMO if you took a large Southern football program and made it an NFL club, the Packers would be the closest you would come to.

I have Packer season tix and we’re still waiting on official word to come down regarding who gets what. Gonna be a ****-show.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You knew this was coming. Will be interesting to see how courts read this as schools are pushing to play conference games but cancelled other games.