The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just as an FYI, the state of NM has cancelled HS football for this fall.

Also, thought this was an interesting read - as the NFL gets closer to the season it is looking like they could have a little bit of an MLB style negotiation issue coming up.
https://sports.yahoo.com/the-nfl-an...y-have-weeks-to-avert-disaster-060950983.html

Big10 move is sobering
https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-ca...ng-moment-for-college-football-221416034.html
“Just trying to keep the lights on,” said one ACC athletic director. “‘Trying’ is the key word.”
“We just want to get the season started and see where it goes,” said an SEC athletic director.
the sport is carved up into fiefdoms. Now everyone is sticking with their own and hoping to make it as long as they can to cash as many checks as possible.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I dont have a good feeling about this one. I believe the SEC is meeting with its respective AD's today. God only knows what kind of madness they are gonna drop on us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I dont have a good feeling about this one. I believe the SEC is meeting with its respective AD's today. God only knows what kind of madness they are gonna drop on us.

SEC will push for football until they are told to stop. I don't expect them to be the first P5 conference to cancel a season.

If anything comes out of it, it will be that they go conference only scheduling like the rest of the P5 conferences.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't know boys and girls, pushing back towards flu season and up against the shortened academic calendar many places have laid out, it isn't looking good.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ACC has indefinitely postponed its virtual media days
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...tual-media-days-that-were-set-for-july-21-23/

I know this hasn't been mentioned much in the PAC12 announcement last Friday but not only did the PAC12 go to a conference only schedule, they have delayed the start of the season to an undetermined future date. They are not allowing any programs to move to phase 2 (mandatory workouts) and reporting is that right now part of the delay is that USC and UCLA cannot play in Los Angeles, so they are hoping for things to improve there.

The SEC meeting today was a regularly scheduled one. I don't expect anything to come out of that. SEC will be the last conference to make any negative moves. Once the ACC moves to a conference only schedule then SEC will have no choice at that point but to follow.

Also, here are Greg Sankey's comments from Saturday
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...r-having-a-college-football-season-this-year/
"The direct reality is not good," Sankey wrote on Twitter after appearing on the ESPN Radio's "Marty & McGee" on Saturday. "I want to provide the opportunity for college athletics to be part of the fall, but we need to all consider our behavior to make possible what right now appears very difficult."

"The direct reality is not good, and the notion that we've politicized medical guidance of distancing, and breathing masks, and hand sanitization, ventilation of being outside, being careful where you are in buildings," Sankey said. "You can't mitigate and eliminate every risk, but how do you minimize the risk?
"We are running out of time to correct and get things right, and as a society we owe it to each other to be as healthy as we can be."

slugboy

Staff member
new article from Pete Thamel. Defiinitely the pessimistic view, but the ones he is getting quotes from are P5 AD's and coaches.
https://sports.yahoo.com/time-to-fa...g-college-football-in-the-fall-170634809.html

Last paragraph:

“The thing that’s starting to settle in for us,” said a high ranking official at a Power Five school. “We’ve been talking about this as a one-year problem. I’m not sure it’s a one-year problem anymore. To me, it’s more likely we’re in this situation the same time next year than we play college football in the fall.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I was getting fed up with just getting my news from the AJC and the Wall Street Journal. And am trying to come up with my own view of covid.

I looked at the data from the Georgia Department of Health. The number of cases remained in a range until after June 1st. The number of cases increased dramatically in the 18-29 age group (eg. protests). The bar graph on the site is dramatic.

If I read the data correctly, the death rate has not followed the trend of increased cases. Some good news during all the bad. I still see this as politics and each side playing games with the country, the economy and yes, football. Some experts claim the resolution is herd immunity or a vaccine, which is what other viruses have been in the past. We are a long way from a vaccine and I have no clue where we stand on reaching heard immunity.

I have not talked to college professors, but I have discussed this with elementary through high school teachers, and no matter on which side of the political spectrum they are, they believe the kids need to be back in school.

College may be different. My son finished his college career last semester at "Southern Tech" and was happy to spend the last half of his senior year at home, until finding a job smacked him in the face. Then the covid was not so much fun. (And he worked a job where he dealt with the public in retail sales and dealt with covid every day) As far as students taking remote classes, how do they do labs? I know my physics lab required a laser... I do not see how remote learning would be acceptable with a class that requires a lab. But, hey, I'm old school.

I am in the minority here but let's get the kids back to school. The kids that need to be in school are the ones that are under served and likely from single parent families that can ill afford to try and juggle work and children at home. I really feel for those struggling to balance work and home life with all that is going on. And from the data I looked at the risk to healthy kids is very low. And that includes college age kids.

I have accepted there will be no games this season. There is just too much momentum. Does not mean I have to like or agree with it.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
"I am in the minority here but let's get the kids back to school. The kids that need to be in school are the ones that are under served and likely from single parent families that can ill afford to try and juggle work and children at home. I really feel for those struggling to balance work and home life with all that is going on. And from the data I looked at the risk to healthy kids is very low. And that includes college age kids."

It's tough all around. But you seem to be ignoring the whole 20 kids crammed into one teacher's classroom. My GF is a teacher and loves it, but she is really scared and stressed because there's not good answers or guidance for this and a lot of folks just seem to be saying let's get on back to school. It's not currently that simple. Maybe if we'd done what we were recommended to do like 3 months ago we'd be in a different position but we botched that pretty badly so here we are. I get all the points about the parents etc, but school's purpose is also not designed to be babysitting which seems to be more and more the perception.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I figure to get a conference only season then we need 10 weeks + 1 week for conf championship + 2 weeks for national championship play-off.
So could start October through first couple of weeks in December. Then conf championship. National championship starts New Years. Could still have some bowls thrown in.
If it doesn't start by October then not sure how to get a 10 game season in there. Things are not looking good for a season at this point unless a vaccine is developed and released in quantity this fall (not likely) or rate of infections decreases rapidly. I am becoming more doubtful of any season. Guess we will know in August.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I figure to get a conference only season then we need 10 weeks + 1 week for conf championship + 2 weeks for national championship play-off.
So could start October through first couple of weeks in December. Then conf championship. National championship starts New Years. Could still have some bowls thrown in.
If it doesn't start by October then not sure how to get a 10 game season in there. Things are not looking good for a season at this point unless a vaccine is developed and released in quantity this fall (not likely) or rate of infections decreases rapidly. I am becoming more doubtful of any season. Guess we will know in August.
Why conference championship games? I’d rather see it decided the old way whoever has the best record. Let the committee pick from there.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I will be surprised if there are any bowl games or a National Championship game this year. It just doesn't seem worth it. Plus the Championship is in Miami. I just can't see that happening. Lets just do 10 conference games if we can and be thankful we got anything at all.

logs_onlogs

Georgia Tech Fan
Now, I'm no doctor but I'm seeing that people who get the virus can get the virus again, this puts vaccines and herd immunity at risk. Because if our bodies can't develop long lasting antibodies like we did with smallpox then we are s**t out of luck. This all means this is going to be here awhile. The other problem is if you get the virus once, you can get it again. It comes back worse the 2nd time around and sure enough if one is being continued to be put in at risk environments the chances of getting the virus again are higher. And the whole mild symptom thing may be all good for your first go around. But the lasting damage is unknown. Possible brain damage, lung damage, and kidney damage. I mean you hear about the people who can't smell. We are still in the speculation phase of all of this. And until we get some answers, putting others people's lives at risk for entertainment purposes is the last thing we need. We aren't that depraved of a society. And knowing America, someone will open up all sorts of litigation over forcing kids to play. Especially if they find out it could have been avoided. We are in a no win scenario and unfortunately if that means no contact sports for the time being. Then so be it.