The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Be careful with how numbers are reported. Most states are reporting hospitalizations WITH Covid 19. CDC reports hospitalizations ATTRIBUTABLE to Covid 19. The resulting stats are very different.
Every patient admitted to the 8o+ hospitals I work with is tested upon admittance so they know who is positive. The difference may be why they presented at the hospital but once there they know who is positive and who isn’t.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Quarantining should have been released with better guidelines(knowledge and science) and massively increasing testing and tracing should’ve been done months ago if we wanted a football season. We’ve let the cat out of the bag and Pandora’s box isn’t just opened but has exploded on us. Our society, through moronic thoughts and actions has caused some of the worst results in the world right now. I think vaccine testing is about to start ramping up finally but this thing is getting worse before it gets better. We would need a miracle and I’m pretty sure half the country won’t get the vaxx even when it’s developed.

I’m proud that my community is ahead of the curve and has a mask requirement in place. Unfortunately, I live in a tourist destination and we have massive numbers of visitors right now. What do folks think about ppl that would come in your house and not take their shoes off when asked? My retail buddies are seeing those peeps daily.

We just had the first confirmed case at my work and one of my best friends who’s higher risk is 95% sure he has it. Also, a co-workers aunt just died so it’s already getting closer and closer to myself and community.

3 million cases and rising. ‘Merica!!
The national numbers for deaths are starting to rise. Texas has set a record for deaths in a day due to COVID each of the last two days. Its naive to think that the recent surges in cases aren't going to lead to increased death totals. There is always a lag period in between.
Fla, TX and AZ death numbers are about to spike but whatevs it’s only old people. NOT! Georgia Tech had a 41 year old GTPD officer die. So when does it cross the line?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aj...es-from-covid/avnwp7QQQZdAVO6n9GG4tM/amp.html

We are less than two months from football season and what I’ve seen from our citizens makes me believe it’s almost impossible for it to happen.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Quarantining should have been released with better guidelines(knowledge and science) and massively increasing testing and tracing should’ve been done months ago if we wanted a football season. We’ve let the cat out of the bag and Pandora’s box isn’t just opened but has exploded on us. Our society, through moronic thoughts and actions has caused some of the worst results in the world right now. I think vaccine testing is about to start ramping up finally but this thing is getting worse before it gets better. We would need a miracle and I’m pretty sure half the country won’t get the vaxx even when it’s developed.

I’m proud that my community is ahead of the curve and has a mask requirement in place. Unfortunately, I live in a tourist destination and we have massive numbers of visitors right now. What do folks think about ppl that would come in your house and not take their shoes off when asked? My retail buddies are seeing those peeps daily.

We just had the first confirmed case at my work and one of my best friends who’s higher risk is 95% sure he has it. Also, a co-workers aunt just died so it’s already getting closer and closer to myself and community.

3 million cases and rising. ‘Merica!!

Fla, TX and AZ death numbers are about to spike but whatevs it’s only old people. NOT! Georgia Tech had a 41 year old GTPD officer die. So when does it cross the line?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aj...es-from-covid/avnwp7QQQZdAVO6n9GG4tM/amp.html

We are less than two months from football season and what I’ve seen from our citizens makes me believe it’s almost impossible for it to happen.
Only in ‘Merica will people complain about politics in sports, but then insert politics into science.

GT_EE78

Banned
Nationally cases have risen 158% since June 12th while testing has risen 37%. So the vast majority of the increase is due to spread of the disease not increased testing.
There you go again (37/58 = 64%)(21/58=36%).... about 64% is due to increased testing - only about 1/3 (of the 58% increase) from spread
your good tracking site is affiliated with new york times = LOL

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I am ashamed that we are treating foreign students this way. They should be allowed to stay until this virus and college operations normalize.

On behalf of myself, I apologize for the actions of my country.

Have we no decency?

What a question....did you forget who is in charge?

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing that no one seems to acknowledge is that there is a major difference of getting infected between contact and no contact sports. I could see outdoor no contact sports like tennis, baseball, or softball. Football is outdoors, but there is too much contact to not make it risky for the students.

The other thing is that schools don’t make money from sports. The athletics department’s do. Schools could cut all sports and save money. If this plays out where schools have to lower tuition and cut costs, it becomes interesting.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There you go again (37/58 = 64%)(21/58=36%).... about 64% is due to increased testing - only about 1/3 (of the 58% increase) from spread
your good tracking site is affiliated with new york times = LOL

That's incorrect 78.

On June 12th, the national positive test % was 4.4%. If 100% of the increase was due to increase in testing then the testing rate would not increase even 0.1%. Instead as of yesterday it is at a 8.1% - an 84% increase. That gives you an idea of how much is due to increased spread, not testing.
a 37% increase in one and a 158% increase in the other would suggest about a 77% increase not due to testing (37/158 vs 121/158). So you are looking at 75-85% of the increase being due to spread not testing.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Back to articles.
Sports Illustrated has had great articles on all of this the last few months.
This one on how Stanford's decision could affect other schools and what not having football or a reduced season could mean.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/...n-in-jeopardy-stanford-ivy-league-coronavirus

This is a long but very good article on everything going around college administrators right now. It has both positive and negative takeaways. Well worth a read. Talks about what they are discussing, what they are concerned about, what to look for. When decisions have to be made by.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/09/college-football-season-status-coronavirus-concerns

Finally, Mr. College Football Tony Barnhart's take on where college football is right now,
https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-barnhart/football-virus
This one has private remarks from various college officials.

GT_EE78

Banned
That's incorrect 78.

On June 12th, the national positive test % was 4.4%. If 100% of the increase was due to increase in testing then the testing rate would not increase even 0.1%. Instead as of yesterday it is at a 8.1% - an 84% increase. That gives you an idea of how much is due to increased spread, not testing.
a 37% increase in one and a 158% increase in the other would suggest about a 77% increase not due to testing (37/158 vs 121/158). So you are looking at 75-85% of the increase being due to spread not testing.
I think you're right.Looks that i wrongly assumed 158% was total and 58% was increase.

GT_EE78

Banned
That's incorrect 78.

I do understand why you look at positive test rate, but don't view that metric as seriously as you. I have my doubts that the ones tested are a random subset of the population. Given the wide variation in different ares as to who can get tested,it's not that clear to me as to what can be validly projected from that.

slugboy

Staff member
Not football related, but I'm sitting over here in angst just knowing my classes will be remote/online this fall..... Not sure how this is gonna work for me considering I'm a STEM major trying to complete my upper level Biology courses.... should've done this bs 10 years ago.

If there was ever a time to pay attention in bio, it’s this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Latest updates
Couple articles on what this means as of now
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...en-goes-conference-only-means-next-notre-dame

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...2-and-pac-12-stand-on-conference-only-slates/

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/09/options-dwindling-2020-season-big-ten

ND AD says on time start to season 'less likely'
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...c-director-less-likely-football-season-starts
"It has grown more pessimistic over the past two weeks, but I'm not to a point to say we shouldn't continue to plan for the potential to open on time," Swarbrick said in an interview with ESPN. "I just think it's less likely. We have to shift our allocations a little bit -- a little more time on planning the alternatives, and a little less time on planning routine go-forward."

Ohio St AD becoming more concerned about the season

From an Irish perspective
https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-acc-independents-schedule-2020

Playing as much as we can in the fall is still clearly the best option right now. Alot of that has to do with if that falls apart there is no consensus second option - different conferences would want to play at different times, largely due to weather.

slugboy

Staff member

That article is based on one comment from the Dallas Independent School District Superintendent. That’s an important administrator, but Texas is a big state.

That’s a heckuva warning shot, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk