The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does vegas have odds anywhere on if we even have football or not? That would be a good indicator if they did.

50/50. But no one knows.

I like the odds by conference. The more money you make the less likely you are to cancel. Money talks and BS walks.

One thing I hadn't seen but seems self evident is that there will be very very very little high school football this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
50/50. But no one knows.

I like the odds by conference. The more money you make the less likely you are to cancel. Money talks and BS walks.

One thing I hadn't seen but seems self evident is that there will be very very very little high school football this year.

Currently looks like odds are less than 50/50. "No" on college football this year is -160, and "Yes" is +120.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately yeah. Was reading an article from Louisiana this morning where they were talking about running short of testing supplies and that by early in the morning testing sites were already running out. Also mentioned that testing is backed up so bad that in some cases in can 10 days to get results. One doctor was quoted as saying "we are pretty much back to where we were in March."

as we've already seen from the MLB (who hasn't even played a game yet), if you can't get the testing done quickly it negatively impacts the ability to have games.

I don’t believe case numbers are way over-exaggerated like some, but I do have to scratch my head at some of these delayed testing claims. I’ve been tested three times in the last two months( I have encountered three different people who tested positive through work) and all three times I got my test results in less than 48 hours. I suppose living in the metro area helps? Then again, the Mayor claims it took her 10 days to get her results. I’m not saying she’s lying, it’s just bizarre. That in itself may be an example of how unorganized the testing is.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t believe case numbers are way over-exaggerated like some, but I do have to scratch my head at some of these delayed testing claims. I’ve been tested three times in the last two months( I have encountered three different people who tested positive through work) and all three times I got my test results in less than 48 hours. I suppose living in the metro area helps? Then again, the Mayor claims it took her 10 days to get her results. I’m not saying she’s lying, it’s just bizarre. That in itself may be an example of how unorganized the testing is.
Some labs are taking a long time for some reason. LabCorp said they are periodically short on re-agents.

I have a visitor coming this weekend who got tested on Tuesday and got her results today. She lives in ATL. Positive tests take longer according to her doctor.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I just got my results on Wednesday and it took 11 days. The antibody test was almost 24 hours though so that was quick. Both negative thankfully.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Colonial cancelled its conference schedule but will allow schools to try to schedule games if they want to, most don't plan to try.
I saw one article where the writer suggested this could be a potential domino that could cause most of FCS to bail this fall.

Ill AD is says they are planning on playing all fall sports - though he has the caveat that is as of now and could change. They even have a plan for a reduced seating arrangement if any fans are allowed.
“Our plan is to engage in all of our fall sports. Our plan is all of those sports will compete this fall. All of these decisions that have been made…with an eye toward putting us in the best position to have sports,” Whitman said Thursday. “With the understanding that if circumstances dictate, we certainly won’t hesitate to pull the car over if you will.”

This one is slightly tangential. Thamel on NCAA President Emmert and how he is basically neutered and how in the current situation the NCAA being nothing more than a figure head for the P5 conferences isn't really a good thing. That the lack of a strong central organization means no one is really looking out for the long terms benefit of college football and college sports, instead you have a number of groups whose primary goal is to defend their kingdom.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’m confident on a few things:

1. Football of some sort will be played between now and May
2. Schedules will be significantly different
3. Many teams will not play (think War years)
4. Everyone will argue about whether play was the right thing to do

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m confident on a few things:

1. Football of some sort will be played between now and May
2. Schedules will be significantly different
3. Many teams will not play (think War years)
4. Everyone will argue about whether play was the right thing to do
You better have your mask on, because...

You need to go a little farther out on the limb... to properly distance... socially. ;)

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

It took 10 days to get my results.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Reality is setting in for no fall football.

Friend saw parents in Spartanburg SC. Talk was Clemson players trying to intentionally get COVID for later immunity. Same rumor others have posted. Don't know if it's true. But also heard about COVID parties in northern SC. I very much believe that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Friend saw parents in Spartanburg SC. Talk was Clemson players trying to intentionally get COVID for later immunity. Same rumor others have posted. Don't know if it's true. But also heard about COVID parties in northern SC. I very much believe that.

As of July 17:
Odds FBS College Football Season Postponed Until Spring 2021?
OutcomeOdds
Yes+120
No-160

Just a week ago, these odds were the same, with both scenarios at -120.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As of July 17:
Odds FBS College Football Season Postponed Until Spring 2021?
OutcomeOdds
Yes+120
No-160

Just a week ago, these odds were the same, with both scenarios at -120.

So that means, if I bet $100 that the season will be postponed and it does get postponed I get $260 (my $100 + $160)???

And I need to bet $160 that the season will not be postponed to get $260 (my $160 + $100 additional)?

Seems backwards. I would have thought it was more likely this week than last week for the season to be postponed.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So that means, if I bet $100 that the season will be postponed and it does get postponed I get $260 (my $100 + $160)???

And I need to bet $160 that the season will not be postponed to get $260 (my $160 + $100 additional)?

Seems backwards. I would have thought it was more likely this week than last week for the season to be postponed.
I think this means you must wager $160 to win $100. [The negative numbers work that way]

The other way [the positive number] if you bet $100... you win $120.

My problem with this particular way its worded.. my brain can't figure out if "yes" season happens or "yes" it gets postponed.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Couple of things here:

1. There have been rumors of this on the internet for while now. That's why Clemson's numbers seem suspiciously high compared to other schools that have SAs that tested positive. They are playing with fire.

2. There is strong evidence coming out that anitbodies do not last long. Which means, you have the ability to catch it again.

Also, even though those that have been asymptomatic, medical studies suggest there are still effects of the Covid that can cause damage to the body. For obvious reasons, no one knows the long term ramification of Covid, so if an SA catches once, imagine the further harm it could potentially occur if you catch it a second time. Estimates suggest antibodies only last for months at a time. If you're an SA that caught it in June/July, and the football season lasts until November...well, do the math.

I hope those Clemson SAs were smart enough to not sign any waivers.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think this means you must wager $160 to win $100. [The negative numbers work that way]

The other way [the positive number] if you bet $100... you win $120.

My problem with this particular way its worded.. my brain can't figure out if "yes" season happens or "yes" it gets postponed.
Oops, good eye. Odds have moved against postponement of the season until Spring. I read it backwards the first time I saw it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oops, good eye. Odds have moved against postponement of the season until Spring. I read it backwards the first time I saw it.

Given the increasing restrictions in the last week, postponing football should have become more likely. Like @FredJacket , I'm not sure I understand the question.
Couple of things here:

1. There have been rumors of this on the internet for while now. That's why Clemson's numbers seem suspiciously high compared to other schools that have SAs that tested positive. They are playing with fire.

2. There is strong evidence coming out that anitbodies do not last long. Which means, you have the ability to catch it again.

Also, even though those that have been asymptomatic, medical studies suggest there are still effects of the Covid that can cause damage to the body. For obvious reasons, no one knows the long term ramification of Covid, so if an SA catches once, imagine the further harm it could potentially occur if you catch it a second time. Estimates suggest antibodies only last for months at a time. If you're an SA that caught it in June/July, and the football season lasts until November...well, do the math.

I hope those Clemson SAs were smart enough to not sign any waivers.

My guess would be that the players were trying to get infected on their own volition, not from coaching staff. If they are at all.

Given how important football is in their lives and confusion about consequences, I can see the players trying to get infected now. People believe what they are most comfortable with.

Agree antibodies that can be measured go away quickly. But to confuse things, it is possible that the body has built up a viral defense which will kick in quicker if reinfected. We'll probably find out if that's true I'm the next six months.

I'm too old and have too many at risk friends to roll those dice though. My risky action is running on a trail and passing people. No mask there but limited time. I tried wearing a mask once and it was impossible to breathe when it got wet with sweat. For me running is worth the risk. For some football players it will be too.