The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Some large public universities are "announcing" plans to have in-person classes this fall. Here's Oregon's announcement. Oklahoma and Oklahoma St have made similar announcements. Significant because these are large, 'public' institutions. Obviously, things can change; but I'm encouraged. I pray Aug/Sept are safe enough for students to get back on campus around the country... it would be a step in the right direction.

Some large public universities are "announcing" plans to have in-person classes this fall. Here's Oregon's announcement. Oklahoma and Oklahoma St have made similar announcements. Significant because these are large, 'public' institutions. Obviously, things can change; but I'm encouraged. I pray Aug/Sept are safe enough for students to get back on campus around the country... it would be a step in the right direction.

Don't know if you saw it, but yesterday in this thread I posted a link to an article from an Oregon newspaper that a friend of mine out there posted in FB. It's a very interesting article. I will post the link again, in case you are interested and missed seeing it earlier --- https://www.oregonlive.com/collegef...yzR5j0BkvQpckqI3TQfxELRROlVMvQczqteo6PRVWN_UI

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This new Reuters/IPSOS poll has interesting numbers concerning people showing up at sporting events, concerts, movies, etc.
(Note that the sporting questions were linked to professional sports so you have to decide how much they would apply to college sports).
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ronavirus-vaccine-reuters-ipsos-idUSKCN22A2AK

Only about four in 10 who follow sports avidly and go to arts and entertainment venues and amusement parks said they would do so again if they reopened before a vaccine was available, the poll found.

Another four in 10 said they were willing to wait, even if it takes more than a year to develop a vaccine.

The rest said they either “don’t know” what to do or may never attend those events again.

Among those who have attended a professional sporting event in the past year, 42% said they would return whenever it reopens to the public and 39% said they would rather wait for a vaccine, even if that means waiting more than a year.

About 59% of sports fans agreed that before a vaccine is available, professional sports leagues hould hold games with no in-person fans, while 33% disagreed.

The poll showed that only 27% of those questioned would go to a movie theater, concert or live theater performance when venues reopen, underscoring the hurdles faced by the entertainment industry as it tries to get back on its feet.

Thirty-two percent said they would wait for a vaccine before going back to the movies, theater or concerts.

In all, 55% of Americans said those events should not resume before a vaccine is available.

Enthusiasm for amusement and theme parks was even bleaker. Fifty-nine percent of respondents said they should not reopen until a vaccine is available. Only 20% said they would visit a theme park when they reopen.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This was on NPR this morning and is worth the four minutes it takes to listen.

My own view is that colleges are trying to figure out a way to have their campuses open this fall. But it's not because they plan to have football. It's because many of them are worried they cannot survive otherwise. Football is a big deal with fans and alumni, but it is also the biggest risk for universties. They are trying figure out how to safely hold a Survey of American Literature lecture for 200 Freshmen every Wednesday morning at 9 AM. What do you do with the star running back if his roommate gets sick and tests positive for the coronavirus. Do you let him play or isolate him in a part of the campus reserved for that purpose?

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This was on NPR this morning and is worth the four minutes it takes to listen.

My own view is that colleges are trying to figure out a way to have their campuses open this fall. But it's not because they plan to have football. It's because many of them are worried they cannot survive otherwise. Football is a big deal with fans and alumni, but it is also the biggest risk for universties. They are trying figure out how to safely hold a Survey of American Literature lecture for 200 Freshmen every Wednesday morning at 9 AM. What do you do with the star running back if his roommate gets sick and tests positive for the coronavirus. Do you let him play or isolate him in a part of the campus reserved for that purpose?

Only problem with that is would Athletic Associations survive a year without football? That is by far the biggest money driver, without it for a year could GT keep the Athletic Association afloat? I have severe doubts that we could

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Only problem with that is would Athletic Associations survive a year without football? That is by far the biggest money driver, without it for a year could GT keep the Athletic Association afloat? I have severe doubts that we could
I am a fan of college sports. I only get to one GT game each Fall (at Duke or UNC) and two or three games at ECU. Most of my football watching is TV based. If the NCAA cranks up the 2020 football season, my wife told me I am not going (if I plan to still have her for a wife). I contribute to the A-T fund and will continue to do that. I hope we have football this year, but I am nervous it won't happen. And, I agree with your assessment of the consequences for athletic associations.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I am a fan of college sports. I only get to one GT game each Fall (at Duke or UNC) and two or three games at ECU. Most of my football watching is TV based. If the NCAA cranks up the 2020 football season, my wife told me I am not going (if I plan to still have her for a wife). I contribute to the A-T fund and will continue to do that. I hope we have football this year, but I am nervous it won't happen. And, I agree with your assessment of the consequences for athletic associations.
Mine is the same too. She’s a nurse so she’s extremely cautious. She over heard me talking on the phone to a friend of mine about making the trip this year (Hoping the Falcons play the Lions the same weekend Tech has a home game) She said “If you think you’re going on that trip you’re out if your damn mind”....

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Question

I'm starting to think come hell or high water there will be a football season and with fans.
So the question if your are a season ticket holder will you come to the games no matter what they do ?

I know they're are our mortal enemy but they still have a lot of pull around the state so I am encouraged to hear the UGA President say this..
https://247sports.com/college/georg...z-7DXYpGJeTm3N8P0sMTb4SM4j4XqRqvx8eNNsqPf_aQs
We MAY have a season, but there's no way it can start on time if students, INCLUDING ATHLETES, are not allowed on campus during the summer. Or do the mutts plan on allowing athletes on campus when other students are not allowed? I'm sure they will try to do that.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We MAY have a season, but there's no way it can start on time if students, INCLUDING ATHLETES, are not allowed on campus during the summer. Or do the mutts plan on allowing athletes on campus when other students are not allowed? I'm sure they will try to do that.
Yeah they're a little ambitious saying it will start on time but I like that they're confident we will have football in the fan with fans

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a way, have classes on online while the campus is open to students. You could officially open campus but just do online instruction. The library could be open for students. The players would take online class and still be able to practice.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If uga plays football so will Tech .