The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
So, if all states aren’t on board with having kids on campus in the fall does that put an end to having a season? Or do conferences just move along without them? Granted it’s safe too.

So, if all states aren’t on board with having kids on campus in the fall does that put an end to having a season? Or do conferences just move along without them? Granted it’s safe too.
Conferences that have schools that do have kids on campus in the Fall will probably move along without the schools that don't. Just my opinion.

A really cool photo from 1918 that was posted on FB. Remember, 1918 was during the time of the Spanish Flu pandemic
95492094_10217861887601948_7473116827296464896_n.jpg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All the schools that issued statements that I read (I am sure I missed a few) have said they are making plans to have students on campus this Fall. Here is the issue. They are also planning to have online classes this Fall. That is absolutely certain.

If we are still having to wear masks in public and observe social distancing, 50,000 fans at BDS or 90K at Sanford is not going to happen. The NCAA has made the flat out statement that if it's not safe enough to have fans at the game, then isn't safe for the players, coaches and game officials. We all want the seaason to begin, but the realities of June will likely determine what happens in August. Right now Fauci is predicting another peak this Fall.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here's my May 1st "hot take"....

NASCAR, PGA, MLB will all start fanless & then have fans by end of summer...

Most important... MLB will begin play in July (latest) & have fans (probably with some sort of social distancing) by August.

By Labor Day.... we'll all be laughing & "recalling" the silly worry from April there maybe wouldn't be CFB.

It's a hot take... which by definition is driven by emotion & want more than anything else. So.... just pat me on the head & don't ask me to prove it / justify it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This was on NPR this morning and is worth the four minutes it takes to listen.

My own view is that colleges are trying to figure out a way to have their campuses open this fall. But it's not because they plan to have football. It's because many of them are worried they cannot survive otherwise. Football is a big deal with fans and alumni, but it is also the biggest risk for universties. They are trying figure out how to safely hold a Survey of American Literature lecture for 200 Freshmen every Wednesday morning at 9 AM. What do you do with the star running back if his roommate gets sick and tests positive for the coronavirus. Do you let him play or isolate him in a part of the campus reserved for that purpose?

Life is risk. I know of no endeavor that is risk free.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All the schools that issued statements that I read (I am sure I missed a few) have said they are making plans to have students on campus this Fall. Here is the issue. They are also planning to have online classes this Fall. That is absolutely certain.

If we are still having to wear masks in public and observe social distancing, 50,000 fans at BDS or 90K at Sanford is not going to happen. The NCAA has made the flat out statement that if it's not safe enough to have fans at the game, then isn't safe for the players, coaches and game officials. We all want the seaason to begin, but the realities of June will likely determine what happens in August. Right now Fauci is predicting another peak this Fall.
Here's a good site for the plans (it's updated regularly) https://www.chronicle.com/article/Here-s-a-List-of-Colleges-/248626

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Starting to look better we will at the least
have football imo but it’s still 51/49 on fans being there . Nascar and MLB are going no fan route and if it works NFL will do the same and NCAA will follow whatever the NFL does. Too much TV money to be made even if no live fans are there.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wasn't Pitt publicly saying Fall in-person classes were unlikely a few weeks ago? It's only May 2nd... perhaps their own hospital can lead them to hold off that decision until we see how the next month or 2 go.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/...-its-hospitals-will-shift-back-to-normal.html
They said it won't be 'back to normal' which isn't much of a statement. No matter what I think we all know the virus has changed things, how and to what extent are the question marks (here's the chancellor's statement: https://www.post-gazette.com/news/e...all-semester-coronavirus/stories/202004160183).

They're also an in-city school that is basically intertwined with the hospital, so they're in a unique situation from that front too. In-city schools that don't have a campus like ours (and I don't know of any that do) will have a much tougher time opening just due to the density of the campuses.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Arizona president says fall football increasingly unlikely, more answers needed

In an interview with KVOI-AM in Tucson, Arizona, Robbins said he is worried about intercollegiate sports getting back to normal after the cornovirus. "I'm really concerned about whether we're going to be playing football in the fall," Robbins told the radio station. "My sense, right now, I just don't see that happening." "We're waiting to see what the NCAA does, what the Pac-12 does," Robbins said. "As much as I want it, you know, it just seems as though if we do play any football in the fall, it's going to be delayed because I've heard nothing and we're headed to May 1. My hope is we're going to get some clarity on this very soon, but it seems unlikely to me. I'd love to see it happen, but we're waiting every day to get some guidance."

Robbins said the scenario he is hearing the most is that fall and winter sports, including men's and women's basketball, would all be played in 2021.

"What I've been hearing more of is that maybe doing something combining both basketball and football for the spring, so January-February 2021, and try to play both of them," Robbins said. "There will be all kind of implications for television viewing and confusion. I don't know. We just don't have any answers right now."

"I did, however, say that the current thinking is that it's likely that fall sports will be canceled," Katsouleas said. "This was not based on any inside knowledge or discussions on the subject and was nothing more than speculation. No decisions have been made about fall sports and when they are made, we will look to the NCAA and our conference to take the lead on those choices."

Robbins conceded that his opinions about delaying fall sports or pushing them back to the spring were his "personal reading of the tea leaves."

"It's going to be very difficult to start the [football] schedule as it currently exists," Robbins said.

Link
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...all-increasingly-unlikely-more-answers-needed

GTFLETCH

Banned
ansas State athletic director Gene Taylor says the Big 12 is currently discussing seven primary options for the upcoming football season, and he outlined them during a conversation on Friday.

1. Starting the season as scheduled in early September

2. Starting the season in late September and ending games in December

3. Starting the season in October and playing a conference-only schedule

4. Starting the season in September and playing a conference-only schedule

5. Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in January

6. Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in March

7. Splitting up the season with six games in the fall and six games in the spring

Taylor thinks all seven options are on the table right now, but he is more optimistic about certain plans than others. He said starting the season on time “is going to be a long shot.” He isn’t sure why teams would start the season in September and scrub all non-nonconference games. There would be many moving parts involved with a split season. And he thinks the idea of beginning the season in January is particularly far-fetched.

“This is just me talking, but playing a full season starting in January and playing through March is a crazy plan,” Taylor said. “There are some parts of the country that I’m not sure I want to go to in January and February.”

But there is no perfect plan. At least not right now.

“Some say that we should start in March and end in May, which may be a little more palatable from a weather perspective,” Taylor said. “But how are you going to handle the draft? And then you’ve got players playing all the way through May and then they are going to come back in the fall. Some of those logistics are crazy to think about.”

“We are going to talk more about it next week,” Taylor said, “and hone in on the top three or four options that we really think are feasible.”

link
https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article242437566.html#adnrb=900000