The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is the latest survey, from the FBS AD's
https://watchstadium.com/99-percent...have-college-football-this-season-04-21-2020/
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-2020-college-football-season-will-be-played/

The good news is that all of them expect there to be football season (though as the article mentions this could partially be due to wishful thinking because they can't imagine the alternative).

The bad news is no one has any idea what it is going to look like yet.
Only 25% thought it would start on time. The most popular opinions for options right now is a start in Oct/Nov with either just a conference game schedule or a split schedule with some games in the fall and some in the spring.

In general it sounds like bowl games are unlikely to happen but a NC game will.

The preference is also to find a way to play a full season as less than that means probably a double loss in revenue - first, from having fewer home games and second, from likely less TV revenue since their would be fewer games for TV to broadcast you likely get a smaller pool of money from TV.
Also FWIW, P5 AD's are slightly more optimistic than last month, G5 AD's are less optimistic than last month.

Two other notes. AD's are well aware if students are not on campus this fall than football this fall does not happen and that any solution that includes spring football cannot interfere with the Super Bowl and with March Madness.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Two other notes. AD's are well aware if students are not on campus this fall than football this fall does not happen and that any solution that includes spring football cannot interfere with the Super Bowl and with March Madness.

As a faculty member, my instructions are to prepare for live classes in the Fall. I think the likelihood is quite high we will have sports if the campus opens. As we should.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As a faculty member, my instructions are to prepare for live classes in the Fall. I think the likelihood is quite high we will have sports if the campus opens. As we should.
I get what you are saying, but that is merely good planning. Be ready with a lesson plan or lecture series or reading list. It is what a reasonable administration would do. But I understand on some campus planning already is underway to use as many adjuncts and lecturers as possible to cut costs to the bone even if instruction suffers. (It does not necessarily follow as a lot of tenured professors, in fact almost all, started as an adjunct or lecturer. And they worked literally for peanuts because, well, the administrators needed the money themselves.) But planning for it is not expecting it. If a second wave is expected, and apparently it is, campuses will be locked away like Capone's vault. As an aside, I hope your students and their parents value what you do. I see there is a movement to cut tuition for online courses, as though they are easier to teach or prepare for. Let's have some free market rules: you don't want to pay the tuition, go somewhere else.

Regardless, with no on-campus classes in the summer, there can be no practice sessions in the summer. That means, if the campus opens up in the Fall, that the earliest the season could start would be October.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Nobody freaking knows.

And nobody seems to know that simple fact

And months from now (or whenever), regardless of outcome, most of these posts will not be able to even laugh at.

Jeez - why can't there be a coronavirus for the internet.

Milwaukee

Banned
Without changes to the NCAA bylaws this could cause divisional realignment. I believe if GT were to drop more than one sport we don't qualify for Division 1 sports anymore.

NCAA will not adhere to this “number of sports” rule in the wake of the china virus overreactions. I read an article in Golf Digest breaking this scenario down. If schools drop sports they will still remain D1.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The other thing I look at in terms of sports is what is happening with other large events. If concerts aren't happening, sports isn't happening. If large festivals aren't happening sports aren't happening. They all have the same basic setup - a large number of people in close quarters.

This is a good article on what is happening in the concert industry
https://www.ajc.com/blog/music/when...ists-say-safety-first/7iTm939gr3wSNzU1cFaqpL/

I will say I got an email at the beginning of the week that Elton John has cancelled all tour dates for 2020 and is looking to start touring again in 2021.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
The other thing I look at in terms of sports is what is happening with other large events. If concerts aren't happening, sports isn't happening. If large festivals aren't happening sports aren't happening. They all have the same basic setup - a large number of people in close quarters.

This is a good article on what is happening in the concert industry
https://www.ajc.com/blog/music/when...ists-say-safety-first/7iTm939gr3wSNzU1cFaqpL/

I will say I got an email at the beginning of the week that Elton John has cancelled all tour dates for 2020 and is looking to start touring again in 2021.

While those things are similar, the circumstances that drive the decision are different. Elton can probably go for a while and be OK. If college athletic departments don't have revenue coming in from football, then many will go under.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
NCAA will not adhere to this “number of sports” rule in the wake of the china virus overreactions. I read an article in Golf Digest breaking this scenario down. If schools drop sports they will still remain D1.

The NCAA announced Friday night that a request made recently by five FBS conference commissioners to waive numerous Division I requirements for up to four years would be considered in the coming weeks. But a blanket waiver permitting schools to drop below the minimum 16 sports would only be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The likelihood of a "normal" fall college football season is quickly approaching 0%. Even if GA reopens and allows all their students back on campus this summer for there to be a football camp, the likelihood that NY does the same is nil to none. Since there is an ACC school in NY, the league, in order to be fair to all schools, will probably keep suspensions in place for all sports until all affected states with member schools are reopened.

The likelihood of a "normal" fall college football season is quickly approaching 0%. Even if GA reopens and allows all their students back on campus this summer for there to be a football camp, the likelihood that NY does the same is nil to none. Since there is an ACC school in NY, the league, in order to be fair to all schools, will probably keep suspensions in place for all sports until all affected states with member schools are reopened.
I think Georgia has already decided (more than a month ago) that all summer classes in state schools will be online, meaning no athletes can be on campus during the summer for practice sessions. That means, IF Fall classes are held on campus (as yet unknown), the earliest that the Fall football season could start would be early October.