The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
My guy, do you understand if one person is sick on a field then everyone on that field is going to get sick? Plus all the personnel to put on a game? No chance. Sorry.

Do not believe that is true. My step mother has recently lost a neighbor to the virus. Died in the driveway as her husband was taking her to the hospital due to nausea, fever, diarrhea, etc.

The husband, and her daughter and grandchildren that live with them, are physically fine.

Too many variables to definitively say what will / will not happen.

Football? The White & Gold (and whatever else) are playing. If the other team wusses out - we win.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
There have been plenty of AD's who have publicly stated they will not play football if college students are not on campus. If it is not safe for college students to be on campus then it is not safe for student-athletes to be on campus. There has been nothing but total agreement among AD's on that point.
As others have mentioned, if students are not on campus this fall there will be no fall college sports (i'd also add that I would expect there to be no college winter sports either as that will overlap too much with flu season for them to take a chance).

There is zero chance of an exception on that. According to colleges the primary purpose of student-athletes is not to play games for you to watch.

AD's have also made clear they would prefer to play a full season if possible and do not want to start a season and have to stop it, which imo makes a spring football season more likely than a fall one (assuming we have one at all).

I'd also add for not the first time, college sports will not be the first sports back. if professional sports are not playing with fans in the stands before the colleges and NCAA have to make a decision (probably in June or early July at the latest) then it isn't happening.

As a non-sports FYI, Munich today cancelled Oktoberfest,the first time since WWII.

Being on a campus, in and of itself, is not unsafe. Campuses are no more infected than anywhere else. It is the people there, or not.

Cripes - look at the freaking Walmarts and grocery stores. Jam packed. Are those facilities inherently safer ?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Questions for those that think we don’t play football. If we don’t play fall sports, do we play winter sports since it overlaps Fall? If don’t play football and basketball, does that mean spring sports are gone as well(either due to the Kung Flu or the lack of funds to run spring sports)? Do Athletic dept start firing coaches and staff since he revenues are gone? Any chance they dip into the big fund raising project to keep things afloat?

Question for all.... Are we still on the hook for capital improvements made a few years ago?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Questions for those that think we don’t play football. If we don’t play fall sports, do we play winter sports since it overlaps Fall? If don’t play football and basketball, does that mean spring sports are gone as well(either due to the Kung Flu or the lack of funds to run spring sports)? Do Athletic dept start firing coaches and staff since he revenues are gone? Any chance they dip into the big fund raising project to keep things afloat?

Question for all.... Are we still on the hook for capital improvements made a few years ago?

I think winter sports are actually even more unlikely than fall sports.
The Director of the CDC had an interview today where he said a second wave in the winter time could be worse than the first wave because it would overlap with flu cases causing a double whammy to health services.

My gut right now is no fall sports, no winter sports and some sort of football schedule in the spring.

If either football or basketball is cancelled this year non revenue sports are going to start dropping fast. Already a handful of schools have stopped some revenue sports.

L'ville announced today 15% cuts in the budgets to all sports and furloughs of some of their staff. They actually have a pretty high revenue, though they are one of 4 schools that get more revenue from BB than FB.

Most P6 schools are already having to deal with $3-5M loss of revenue due to the Conference and NCAA Tournaments not being played. Ticket sales are strongly down across the country. B12 schools are in some potential trouble due to the crash of oil prices.

It's still pretty simple. Are students on campus this fall, if the answer is no than no college sports.
Are professional leagues playing with fans in the stands, if the answer is no than no college sports.

It doesn't matter what a handful of Southern states are doing in terms of starting to re-open stores. It matters what happens everywhere. The NCAA is a national organization, if significant numbers cannot play then the NCAA will not approve college sports.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Being on a campus, in and of itself, is not unsafe. Campuses are no more infected than anywhere else. It is the people there, or not.

Cripes - look at the freaking Walmarts and grocery stores. Jam packed. Are those facilities inherently safer ?

I'm just passing along what AD's are saying. They are not going to treat SA's different than students.
Based on what is happening in Singapore I could see colleges deciding to keep students away and not living in the dorms.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
The Director of the CDC had an interview today where he said a second wave in the winter time could be worse than the first wave because it would overlap with flu cases causing a double whammy to health services.

My gut right now is no fall sports, no winter sports and some sort of football schedule in the spring.

If either football or basketball is cancelled this year non revenue sports are going to start dropping fast. Already a handful of schools have stopped some revenue sports.

L'ville announced today 15% cuts in the budgets to all sports and furloughs of some of their staff. They actually have a pretty high revenue, though they are one of 4 schools that get more revenue from BB than FB.

Most P6 schools are already having to deal with $3-5M loss of revenue due to the Conference and NCAA Tournaments not being played. Ticket sales are strongly down across the country. B12 schools are in some potential trouble due to the crash of oil prices.

It's still pretty simple. Are students on campus this fall, if the answer is no than no college sports.
Are professional leagues playing with fans in the stands, if the answer is no than no college sports.

It doesn't matter what a handful of Southern states are doing in terms of starting to re-open stores. It matters what happens everywhere. The NCAA is a national organization, if significant numbers cannot play then the NCAA will not approve college sports.
I think students will be on campus in the fall there will be some changes, but I think they will be there. Also, I think schools will be sued (2 have been started) if they do online in the fall. Students are being charged full tuition for on campus learning but are are getting an online education. I don’t think schools want to get paid like online schools.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The issue is this.
The state of CA has 4 NFL teams (soon to be 3), 4 NBA teams, 5 MLB teams, 4 Power Conference teams (all in one conference). If they choose to say no go, then all those leagues are basically up the creek.

It happened to the NCAA with the Name Image Likeness Issue. CA decided to attack it themselves and the NCAA fell into line because it couldn't afford not to. Same thing could happen this fall.

When one state is home to so many franchises and schools and also happens to be responsible for 1/7 of the US GDP, it is going to have an outsize say in how things move forward.

Ultimately, the decision on college sports is going to be made by this committe that the NCAA is setting up. I think the NCAA is very unlikely to allow one area to play and another not to play. It will be either everyone plays, or no one plays. So what the decision makers think outside our region is very important.
The state of North Carolina could shut down the ACC. Just remember, the ADs will not be the ones deciding this. If Governor Cooper says there will be no large gatherings, there will be no college football. There are six FBS football schools in NC. The schedule ramifications of just one conference cascade down through the other conferences.

As a side note, the GOP convention is scheduled to be in Charlotte in August. Gov Cooper could shut it down.

I heard today from a friend in Cincinnati that the University of Cincinnati dropped soccer without any warning at all to the athletes there.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I heard today from a friend in Cincinnati that the University of Cincinnati dropped soccer without any warning at all to the athletes there.
It’s going to start happening nationwide too. First your sports with basically no revenue: soccer, lacrosse, track & field, equestrian, wrestling, volleyball. Then you’ll get into the sports that attempt to stay even: baseball (& softball), golf, and hockey. Title IX is going to make athletics cuts even more complicated. Men’s sports will probably be affected disproportionally simply because of football’s numbers. Schools will have to cut 2-3 men’s sports before any women’s. For better or worse, this may be the end of the NCAA as we know it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The state of North Carolina could shut down the ACC. Just remember, the ADs will not be the ones deciding this. If Governor Cooper says there will be no large gatherings, there will be no college football. There are six FBS football schools in NC. The schedule ramifications of just one conference cascade down through the other conferences.

As a side note, the GOP convention is scheduled to be in Charlotte in August. Gov Cooper could shut it down.

This is the most important point. This decision will not be made by AD's or even University Presidents. This will be made by the decisions of Governors.
If Governors continue to say no large public gatherings then no football or any sports. CA is one to watch since they are another state with an outsize proportion of college football teams.

Professional leagues continue to look at creative ways to try to play seasons. Latest idea tossed around by the MLB is games in 3 states (AZ, FL, TX) with players and staff still basically quarantined to local areas and no fans.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It’s going to start happening nationwide too. First your sports with basically no revenue: soccer, lacrosse, track & field, equestrian, wrestling, volleyball. Then you’ll get into the sports that attempt to stay even: baseball (& softball), golf, and hockey. Title IX is going to make athletics cuts even more complicated. Men’s sports will probably be affected disproportionally simply because of football’s numbers. Schools will have to cut 2-3 men’s sports before any women’s. For better or worse, this may be the end of the NCAA as we know it.
Without changes to the NCAA bylaws this could cause divisional realignment. I believe if GT were to drop more than one sport we don't qualify for Division 1 sports anymore.

Jmonty71

Banned
If they do football, just think of it. Everyone would have to play a "spread" offense. The no contact thing, would be a challenge, however. Meter long flags seem less than desirable:whistle::wtf:o_O:).

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
If they do football, just think of it. Everyone would have to play a "spread" offense. The no contact thing, would be a challenge, however. Meter long flags seem less than desirable:whistle::wtf:o_O:).
A Ted Rood secondary would be one of the best at social distancing. They played 6 ft away from the LOS every play. CTR was ahead of his time. Dr Fauci needs to hire Ted ASAP!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer