The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I had a conversation a couple of days ago with some Dwag fans. One told me that the NCAA was studying and evaluating the possibility of playing the upcoming collegiate football season with empty stadiums and had reached out to Georgia Tech for advice.

(Even I chuckled at that one.)
Hahah that’s actually funny. Image if they only allow students! Lol.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll pass on getting extremely sick regardless if I have a good chance of surviving. Again, for college football students are going to have to be on campus. I can tell you as of today that the University of Pittsburgh is going online for the fall, so there will not be Pitt football. Feel free to believe me or not but other ACC schools are going to follow suit.
That must have been a decision they just made because as of 17 April, they were still evaluating according to their Provost on twitter. And yes if students are not on campus, there will be no football.

TechPreacher

Banned
The death rate for coronavirus is bogus, because Dr. Birx stated last week that anyone who dies with coronavirus is counted as a coronavirus death. There is a huge difference in dying with something and dying due to something. The numbers are being padded to perpetuate the fear so the government grip can tighten on our God-given liberties. The cultural Marxists can't believe it has been this easy.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The death rate for coronavirus is bogus, because Dr. Birx stated last week that anyone who dies with coronavirus is counted as a coronavirus death. There is a huge difference in dying with something and dying due to something. The numbers are being padded to perpetuate the fear so the government grip can tighten on our God-given liberties. The cultural Marxists can't believe it has been this easy.

No, the numbers are being undercounted, if anything. Lots of nursing home deaths are not being counted - probably 11 in one nursing home in my home town, for example. And some people dying at home have not been counted. They aren't being counted unless they test positive, and unless they die in a hospital lots of them aren't being tested post-mortem.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-fdny-idUSKBN21P3KF

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
What you’re saying is similar to saying destroy millions of lives for the sake of thousands of lives...it’s not that simple, but the consequences of what’s going on right now are not trivial.

No one is anti vaccine. That’s crazy. But be realistic man and quit ignoring the real consequences of this shutdown.

Regarding the stadium...not sure what you’re worried about. No one has sat within five seats of my family at most Tech games for several years now.
I really enjoyed the last part of your post. Literally laughed out loud at how sad but true it is lol.

But all I'm really saying is everyone just needs to hold their horses until a vaccine or viable treatment option comes out.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Have not read all of this thread... but why is it assumed that going online only means no sports?

We seem to be in an all or nothing mode with all this "reopening" talk... not just with college sports either.

September is 5 months away. Going with online classes will prevent thousands of college kids from the close quarters of college campus life... some risk averse admins (perhaps all) will make that decision based on situation in coming months.

However, school is still in session in that case. By late summer... couldn't the risk assessment include scenario where fall athletes can participate in their respective sports. We're talking a small percentage of the most student bodies now who would be in close contact. So... there would need to be active measures to protect that population.

I hope these decisions are based on solid cost/benefit analysis using sound data with reasonable mitigation.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Have not read all of this thread... but why is it assumed that going online only means no sports?

We seem to be in an all or nothing mode with all this "reopening" talk... not just with college sports either.

September is 5 months away. Going with online classes will prevent thousands of college kids from the close quarters of college campus life... some risk averse admins (perhaps all) will make that decision based on situation in coming months.

However, school is still in session in that case. By late summer... couldn't the risk assessment include scenario where fall athletes can participate in their respective sports. We're talking a small percentage of the most student bodies now who would be in close contact. So... there would need to be active measures to protect that population.

I hope these decisions are based on solid cost/benefit analysis using sound data with reasonable mitigation.

Because the AD's have stated that they cannot imagine having games if the students are not on campus. How will that look if the schools were saying on the one hand it is not safe enough for students to be on campus and on the other, let's play football.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Because the AD's have stated that they cannot imagine having games if the students are not on campus. How will that look if the schools were saying on the one hand it is not safe enough for students to be on campus and on the other, let's play football.
It's my opinion... like a lot of things... you can make it look really ok or really bad. Handled & communicated properly... it could be fine. The big assumption here is we would be at a place where 12k people on campus is too risky, but a few hundred is not too risky.

When students are not allowed on campus for classes, there is no exception in place for athletes, who are students too, although in name only at many colleges. So if the athletes are not allowed on campus in the summer, there can be no summer workouts or practices, and no practices means no games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When students are not allowed on campus for classes, there is no exception in place for athletes, who are students too, although in name only at many colleges. So if the athletes are not allowed on campus in the summer, there can be no summer workouts or practices, and no practices means no games.
I hear you. I'm simply saying make the exception....
....if it is safe to do so.

I think if I were a student... taking my classes online (just like all the SAs... btw... I'm not saying athletes are in classroom), I would be fine with them participating in their sport. I can get my head around this kind of scenario... as narrow as it may be... where it is relatively safe to bring a team together... but not entire student population.

I hear you. I'm simply saying make the exception....
....if it is safe to do so.

I think if I were a student... taking my classes online (just like all the SAs... btw... I'm not saying athletes are in classroom), I would be fine with them participating in their sport. I can get my head around this kind of scenario... as narrow as it may be... where it is relatively safe to bring a team together... but not entire student population.
Someone posted a few days ago that with no students allowed on the Pitt campus, athletes would not be either, essentially cancelling Pitt's 2020 Fall season. I imagine others will be doing the same.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Actually the death rate is significantly understated right now. First, we aren't even testing at anywhere near the level to capture all the deaths.
Second, look at the comparison to the flu.
All our death statistics for diseases are ultimately computed using computer models. flu death certificates avg less than 10,000 per year, but the estimates of deaths will range from 25-50K per year.
To give a simply comparison of how much more deadly this is.
As of Jan 20th, there had been 8,200 death certificates for the flu.
At the point they switched from confirmed deaths to probable deaths (which still greatly undercounts as it still only counts deaths at hospitals) there was already over 32K deaths from COVID19. So as of a week ago COVID19 had already killed 4X the number of people that the flu kills in a typical flu season using the one direct comparison method we have right now.

When they do the computer modeling 2 years from now to determine the official death estimate (that is how long it takes the CDC before it does a final death estimate for the Flu) you can basically guarantee it will be over 200K and it wouldn't shock me if it is closer to 3-400K.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There have been plenty of AD's who have publicly stated they will not play football if college students are not on campus. If it is not safe for college students to be on campus then it is not safe for student-athletes to be on campus. There has been nothing but total agreement among AD's on that point.
As others have mentioned, if students are not on campus this fall there will be no fall college sports (i'd also add that I would expect there to be no college winter sports either as that will overlap too much with flu season for them to take a chance).

There is zero chance of an exception on that. According to colleges the primary purpose of student-athletes is not to play games for you to watch.

AD's have also made clear they would prefer to play a full season if possible and do not want to start a season and have to stop it, which imo makes a spring football season more likely than a fall one (assuming we have one at all).

I'd also add for not the first time, college sports will not be the first sports back. if professional sports are not playing with fans in the stands before the colleges and NCAA have to make a decision (probably in June or early July at the latest) then it isn't happening.

As a non-sports FYI, Munich today cancelled Oktoberfest,the first time since WWII.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
There have been plenty of AD's who have publicly stated they will not play football if college students are not on campus. If it is not safe for college students to be on campus then it is not safe for student-athletes to be on campus. There has been nothing but total agreement among AD's on that point.
As others have mentioned, if students are not on campus this fall there will be no fall college sports (i'd also add that I would expect there to be no college winter sports either as that will overlap too much with flu season for them to take a chance).

There is zero chance of an exception on that. According to colleges the primary purpose of student-athletes is not to play games for you to watch.

AD's have also made clear they would prefer to play a full season if possible and do not want to start a season and have to stop it, which imo makes a spring football season more likely than a fall one (assuming we have one at all).

I'd also add for not the first time, college sports will not be the first sports back. if professional sports are not playing with fans in the stands before the colleges and NCAA have to make a decision (probably in June or early July at the latest) then it isn't happening.

As a non-sports FYI, Munich today cancelled Oktoberfest,the first time since WWII.
Georgia ,Texas,South Carolina and Tennessee are starting to open things up again like beauty shops,barber shops,tattoo parlors and gyms. It wont be long until things open up again everywhere.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Georgia ,Texas,South Carolina and Tennessee are starting to open things up again like beauty shops,barber shops,tattoo parlors and gyms. It wont be long until things open up again everywhere.
We’re about to do so here in Michigan as well. They want to do it in phases. But I’m still having my doubts about it. I have a feeling once they open up the state we will have another out break. Unfortunately, we’re to far from a vaccine to keep everyone home for 12-18 more months. It kinda feels like an “enter at your own risk” situation with loosening up the restrictions.
My wife is a nurse and is scared to death of a second wave if they let people out too soon. She’s off work because she’s asthmatic but her Dr cant keep her off work any longer.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We’re about to do so here in Michigan as well. They want to do it in phases. But I’m still having my doubts about it. I have a feeling once they open up the state we will have another out break. Unfortunately, we’re to far from a vaccine to keep everyone home for 12-18 more months. It kinda feels like an “enter at your own risk” situation with loosening up the restrictions.
My wife is a nurse and is scared to death of a second wave if they let people out too soon. She’s off work because she’s asthmatic but her Dr cant keep her off work any longer.
She's right to be scared. Thanks her for all of us. Going to work when your health is at risk is what you call honorable.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Because college football will bring in desperately needed ESPN money even with no fans.

Colleges are businesses too.