The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Spring football is gathering momentum. I think it might prove to be the wise choice.

I would think fans in attendance should even be possible by then. Just have to work out the logistics of a quick turnaround to the next season and deal with pretty much all the NFL draftees opting out.

Deleted member 2897

Mountain West players are the latest to band together
Typical list of demands at this point. mandatory testing, extensive cleaning of facilities, no liability waivers, medical coverage, no penalty for sitting out, whistleblower protections.

Also, PAC12 players had their first meeting with league officials last night. Described as 'productive'

What has become clear to me this week is that the level of unease among SA's is higher than we thought. Also, based on the demands that have been made by the various groups - including testing being done by third parties, no liability waivers, whistleblower protections, no penalties for sitting out - it is also clear that a good number of SA's do not inherently trust the coaches and administrators to make decisions with the SA's best interest at heart (especially in terms of health decisions).

I expect that all the P5 conferences are going to have to adjust up to the SEC protocols if they expect to play this year.

It is also looking like FCS will move to the spring.
Both the Big Sky and Pioneer announced they are cancelling fall football and Missouri Valley is expected to join them next week - that would put the FCS below the 50% min needed to stage a fall championships. It sounds like the FCS conferences have been talking to each other and are leaning to waiting until spring and then trying to play then if the health situation allows.

The buried lede here is that they still have football teams in the PAC-12. Who knew?

Milwaukee

Banned
Love how they’re citing “player safety” as their reasoning. The fact is they can’t foot the bill without their OOC games and lack of attendance because there’s simply not enough interest in MAC to stand alone. There’s being woke and then there’s worse than being woke, which is fake woke.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I would think fans in attendance should even be possible by then. Just have to work out the logistics of a quick turnaround to the next season and deal with pretty much all the NFL draftees opting out.
That may prove to be less to deal with than what they're going to be dealing with now. Lots of NFL draft choices are going to opting out this fall. And I know there are other problems with a quick turnaround than player readiness, but guys in their teens and early twenties can deal recover pretty fast. A couple of months should do it.
Sometimes procrastination is the best policy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fallout from teams that cancel the season:

P5 teams in for the swoop. GT has an opening at offensive tackle...just saying...

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Spring football is gathering momentum. I think it might prove to be the wise choice.
The biggest potential downside to playing in the spring is: what do you do about the 2021 fall season? If you played a 12 week, 10 game season starting the second weekend of February, that puts your conference championship on May 1st. 2021’s opening weekend is September 4th. That means you only have 4 months to rest/recover from the spring season, and to get prepared for another fall season. That’s if no playoffs or bowl games are played, which I see no way possible to do in a spring season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Things will get nuts. No clue what will happen.

Luckily, P5 went to the conference only scheduling, so any fallout will remain with B1G and their advertising/media partners.

From an optics standpoint, not sure it looks good for other conferences attempting to play while the conference that makes the most money passes on the season.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The biggest potential downside to playing in the spring is: what do you do about the 2021 fall season? If you played a 12 week, 10 game season starting the second weekend of February, that puts your conference championship on May 1st. 2021’s opening weekend is September 4th. That means you only have 4 months to rest/recover from the spring season, and to get prepared for another fall season. That’s if no playoffs or bowl games are played, which I see no way possible to do in a spring season.
4 months? We can do that.

Deleted member 2897

I have taken flak at times for my perspective on how insidious this virus is. At the same time, it doesn’t negatively affect younger people like the flu does (and other things). Guys have been practicing for a couple months, and I can count on less than 1 hand the number of players nationwide having any real negative health issues. It seems like the pushback on playing is more legal/CYA than being based on actual science.

If you add up the number of players sent to the hospital each year for the flu, staph infections, heart issues, heat stroke, etc, it would dwarf what we’ve seen from COVID so far.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
MAC cancels all football games.
Not due to Covid, due to not playing bigger schools and the money they bring. Ohio played BC but most schools lost out on their power 5 games.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The path for Fall sports was set up back in March when the virus landed on the radar. ALL of us failed as a country, so we are reaping what we sowed.

Fall sports are the sports with the most human to human contact (football, basketball, hockey), so it makes sense that if the virus wasn't under control by now, it was always going to be VERY hard to realistically get it up and running safely. Especially so in a college setting where SAs aren't in a bubble.

The other thing is that social media is giving SAs the ability of monitoring everything without filtration of going through college administration and coaches who may or may not have their best interest in mind. We're starting to see that SAs are voicing their concerns as a group, making it even harder for administrators to say that "We're all on board with this" when obviously that's not true.

I think the optimism of Fall sports we had in July is starting to hit reality of where we currently are as a country in fighting this virus.