The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
because of team size,football is just more difficult than baseball or basketball.
baseball is doing good so far . I think football has 50% chance so I'm just hoping it goes well.
College football is going to be the hardest sport to make work for a multitude of reasons we have discussed before.
Right now i'm sort of thinking the odds of getting the season started is just over 50% (you know the AA's want to play really bad - as does ESPN and FOX who both need the ad revenue that they are losing). I think finishing the season is maybe a 10% chance. Just feel like the general public could turn against it pretty easily if they feel that the student-athletes are being used in an unsafe way. Also, with the protocols right now any outbreak on a team is going to cost a team a minimum of 2 games and thinking 20 yr olds aren't going to interact with other 20 yr olds is not believable.

The schools have not released anything beyond numbers of positive tests, some haven't even released that as they aren't required to by their states, but as more student-athletes and their parents relate negative experiences the pressure is going to mount on the school administrations.
This report, from Pete Thamel who tends to be more negative about the season happening - but is pretty well plugged in, is at least worth a read to see how fast things can change.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My take on the automatic extra season is that players can opt out and have a better (maybe) chance of not being infected. They are saying, if I agree to play, I want the NCAA and the conference to guarantee that I will not lose eligibilty if I am infected. I agree, it is different than any other medical situation.

I wasn't saying it is exactly the same as any other medical situation. I was saying that missing one game because of contact tracing wouldn't be any different than missing one game because of a pulled muscle. The remedy of extra eligibility is for people who have missed substantial time in a season. The limit is playing 20% of the season. It isn't a remedy for pulling a muscle or breaking a bone. It is for missing substantial time.

The extra eligibility isn't guaranteed, even for athletes who miss an entire season. If the student athletes want a guarantee that they will receive extra eligibility if they miss more than 20% of the season due to the virus, then that would be different. Wanting a guarantee of extra eligibility for missing one game just isn't reasonable. It would also set up a possibility of athletes manufacturing close contact with an infected person in a game their team is likely to win in order to gain an extra year of eligibility.

GT_EE78

Banned
College football is going to be the hardest sport to make work for a multitude of reasons we have discussed before.
Right now i'm sort of thinking the odds of getting the season started is just over 50% (you know the AA's want to play really bad - as does ESPN and FOX who both need the ad revenue that they are losing). I think finishing the season is maybe a 10% chance. Just feel like the general public could turn against it pretty easily if they feel that the student-athletes are being used in an unsafe way. Also, with the protocols right now any outbreak on a team is going to cost a team a minimum of 2 games and thinking 20 yr olds aren't going to interact with other 20 yr olds is not believable.

The schools have not released anything beyond numbers of positive tests, some haven't even released that as they aren't required to by their states, but as more student-athletes and their parents relate negative experiences the pressure is going to mount on the school administrations.
This report, from Pete Thamel who tends to be more negative about the season happening - but is pretty well plugged in, is at least worth a read to see how fast things can change.
i can only hope that your 10% estimate of finishing is too low but I'd have to agree that if the public and fans turn sour that could be it. You know the media will light things up at the first team outbreak.This won't be easy.i understand what Thamel is saying in the article but we already know if its paranoid enough, it just sells more ads.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really don't see any college team playing this year, sad i love college football but don't see it now.

Yeah, I can't see college football being played either. Too many cases and collateral damage.

My hope is we see college baseball next year. Losing that sport after four weeks made it easier for me to lose college football. Just got used to doing other things.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I can't see college football being played either. Too many cases and collateral damage.

My hope is we see college baseball next year. Losing that sport after four weeks made it easier for me to lose college football. Just got used to doing other things.

I don't know how MLB screwed it up (more on the players than MLB, but MLB should have been a stricter), but IMO, baseball is probably the best team sport to play during the pandemic if you place certain rules in like base runners wearing a facemask, and infield position players also wearing a mask if there's a baserunner. Everyone is basically social distanced naturally because of the nature of how baseball is played.

I can see GT baseball actually playing a full season before GT football is played.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know how MLB screwed it up (more on the players than MLB, but MLB should have been a stricter), but IMO, baseball is probably the best team sport to play during the pandemic if you place certain rules in like base runners wearing a facemask, and infield position players also wearing a mask if there's a baserunner. Everyone is basically social distanced naturally because of the nature of how baseball is played.

I can see GT baseball actually playing a full season before GT football is played.
You are big on the security theater. There is absolutely no reason for players on the field to be wearing masks, I find it comical actually. Agree that baseball will play a full season before any other Tech sport

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You are big on the security theater. There is absolutely no reason for players on the field to be wearing masks, I find it comical actually. Agree that baseball will play a full season before any other Tech sport

Golf and Tennis have great shots.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Whether players wear masks or not on the baseball field is up to the conferences, but I find it comical how ignorant you are of how the virus spreads, and ways to prevent it. But carry on with your ignorance...

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Whether players wear masks or not on the baseball field is up to the conferences, but I find it comical how ignorant you are of how the virus spreads, and ways to prevent it. But carry on with your ignorance...
Im basing my comment on what Ive actually experienced. My daughter plays travel softball and just finished her season. 7 weeks, 5 games a weekend against teams from all over the country. Nobody wore a mask on the field or dugout. Girls and parents were required to remain in their team "bubble" and not interact with the other teams. There was no testing protocol, no pitchers have their own balls or anything like that. We had no cases. I am not ignorant on how the virus spreads. Close contact in an indoor space is a prime spreader as are large crowds outside. And you can slow the spread but not prevent it. I really hope we get football this fall but more importantly I hope we actually see students get back to campus.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Im basing my comment on what Ive actually experienced. My daughter plays travel softball and just finished her season. 7 weeks, 5 games a weekend against teams from all over the country. Nobody wore a mask on the field or dugout. Girls and parents were required to remain in their team "bubble" and not interact with the other teams. There was no testing protocol, no pitchers have their own balls or anything like that. We had no cases. I am not ignorant on how the virus spreads. Close contact in an indoor space is a prime spreader as are large crowds outside. And you can slow the spread but not prevent it. I really hope we get football this fall but more importantly I hope we actually see students get back to campus.

Your daughters team was lucky. My friends daughter had their season cut short because of several teams having outbreaks.

Milwaukee

Banned

Turns out you’re not the ignorant one here in regards to how the virus spreads. Keep Swarmin, bud.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i can only hope that your 10% estimate of finishing is too low but I'd have to agree that if the public and fans turn sour that could be it. You know the media will light things up at the first team outbreak.This won't be easy.i understand what Thamel is saying in the article but we already know if its paranoid enough, it just sells more ads.

I hope it is low to. But college football is really going to be trying to thread a needle this fall.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If anyone is interested here is a list of players who have opted out so far. I'm assuming this will be updated as more happen

Also, Wake and App St have agreed to postpone their game for this season to a future year.
That is in interesting decision given both are in the same state and the Sun Belt has an 8+4 model for this year. Reason given was so it could be played in front of fans in the future.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

You're trying to make a false equivalence to prove your flawed point. One softball tournament with no infections (that you know of yet) does not equate into a successful season of baseball players not infecting other players if proper precautions are not taken. I am happy for you and the people who participated in the tournament that did not get infected...NO ONE should want anyone to get infected. Just because you drank after someone with the flu and didn't get it one time doesn't mean you should continue to do so and expect not to get sick.

The chances of not catching Covid outdoors is far better than prolonged exposure to an infected person indoors. No one argues that...but it doesn't totally eliminate the chances of the spreading the virus. Wearing a face mask drives down the chances even further. Are you seriously arguing against a mask on the field if it can further prevent chances of infection?

The mask isn't about playing sports, it's about keeping risk down so we can play sports. Given how highly charged this issue has become of whether or not it's safe for college SAs to even play sports at all during the pandemic, the masks add a layer of defense that schools and colleges are doing all they can to protect the SAs.

This is a real life example of why there's a good chance football may not happen this fall. People are literally arguing against the simple little things that we can all do to prevent spread. I don't like wearing a mask when riding my bike on the trails, but if I see another person coming the other way or passing by someone, I put it on temporarily out of respect for the other person and lowering my chances of possibly getting it. Chances are slim I may get it or pass it on, but I can drive those chances down close to zero if I do put a mask on.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If anyone is interested here is a list of players who have opted out so far. I'm assuming this will be updated as more happen

Also, Wake and App St have agreed to postpone their game for this season to a future year.
That is in interesting decision given both are in the same state and the Sun Belt has an 8+4 model for this year. Reason given was so it could be played in front of fans in the future.
It’s a huge game in the state so I can see wanting fans but don’t know what they couldn’t just have scheduled another game down the road.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My wife watched Gov. Cooper COVID press conference this today and said he is keeping NC in Phase 2 for four more weeks. That means outdoor gatherings of 25 or more people are not allowed until after Sept. 10th. How does a foootball team practice with 100 players? We have four P5 and two G5 programs in NC that
I wasn't saying it is exactly the same as any other medical situation. I was saying that missing one game because of contact tracing wouldn't be any different than missing one game because of a pulled muscle. The remedy of extra eligibility is for people who have missed substantial time in a season. The limit is playing 20% of the season. It isn't a remedy for pulling a muscle or breaking a bone. It is for missing substantial time.

The extra eligibility isn't guaranteed, even for athletes who miss an entire season. If the student athletes want a guarantee that they will receive extra eligibility if they miss more than 20% of the season due to the virus, then that would be different. Wanting a guarantee of extra eligibility for missing one game just isn't reasonable. It would also set up a possibility of athletes manufacturing close contact with an infected person in a game their team is likely to win in order to gain an extra year of eligibility.
I see your point. I don't exactly agree, but you raise some real issues with it.