The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Milwaukee

Banned
Not really, I am hoping their QB Justin Fields becomes the Falcons new QB hahaha. I just don't think it's fair for the CFP to allow Ohio State to be in their just because even though they have played 4-5 less games than every other team. So they are more rested, less injuries, with only 4 games played. How is that fair? What incentive to any of the other teams have to play anymore games when they could just cancel because of "covid" and then still get into the playoffs?

I don't want Ohio State, or any Big10 team, to get in just on principle that the Big10 said they wouldn't play, saw that everyone else was, and then backtracked and expect to get to get in even if they play less games than everyone else.
That’s reasonable. And the committee may indeed think the same way, I’d just be really surprised if they left them out. It’s gonna be a mess for sure. What if Northwestern makes the playoff with a win over Indiana in the B10 title game, and Ohio St undefeated with not as many games stays at home. Total chaos would ensue.
Buckle up it’s gonna be fun either way!

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s reasonable. And the committee may indeed think the same way, I’d just be really surprised if they left them out. It’s gonna be a mess for sure.
I just think if you look at their schedule Ohio State doesn't play a tough one, their only good win was Indiana, and then on top of that if they play only 5 games while everyone else plays 8+ games? At that point the committee is only letting Ohio State in purely on name sake. Which is wrong.

I agree though, this CFP is going to be crazy and chaos will ensue regardless. Especially if Clemson and ND split and Clemson beats them in the ACCCG.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Not really, I am hoping their QB Justin Fields becomes the Falcons new QB hahaha. I just don't think it's fair for the CFP to allow Ohio State to be in their just because even though they have played 4-5 less games than every other team. So they are more rested, less injuries, with only 4 games played. How is that fair? What incentive to any of the other teams have to play anymore games when they could just cancel because of "covid" and then still get into the playoffs?

I don't want Ohio State, or any Big10 team, to get in just on principle that the Big10 said they wouldn't play, saw that everyone else was, and then backtracked and expect to get to get in even if they play less games than everyone else.
The rationale for playoff selection has always been the “4 best teams” and not necessarily the “4 most deserving teams”. The playoff schedule was created knowing that conferences were playing different numbers of games, and that some teams would have more games cancelled than others. As of now Ohio State is one of the top 4 teams in the country and leaving them out of the playoff based on a limited number of games would be a disservice to the sport. The only controversy would arise if Northwestern runs the table and wins the B1G if Ohio State is ineligible.

slugboy

Staff member
I just think if you look at their schedule Ohio State doesn't play a tough one, their only good win was Indiana, and then on top of that if they play only 5 games while everyone else plays 8+ games? At that point the committee is only letting Ohio State in purely on name sake. Which is wrong.

I agree though, this CFP is going to be crazy and chaos will ensue regardless. Especially if Clemson and ND split and Clemson beats them in the ACCCG.
Indiana is a solid win this year (not something I’d planned on saying before the season, to be sure).

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Indiana is a solid win this year (not something I’d planned on saying before the season, to be sure).
Agreed. It was a solid win, Indiana played their butts off and shocked everyone with how good they are, but that's Ohio State's only notable win. Whereas you have other teams who have played and beaten more ranked teams, and some higher ranked. Putting Ohio State in because they are "one of the top 4 teams" is purely because of name sake because their strength of schedule is a joke.

Deleted member 2897

The BigTen is upside down this year. Penn State is 0-5. Michigan has a losing record and is losing to them as I type this. Clemson beats Notre Dame then you could have Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame + 1 more. Florida. Ohio State if they go 7-0 by playing all their games. But if they don’t, leave them out. Lots of crazy outcomes this year - it would be stupid to just assume Ohio State would have won all 6 more games had they played them.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If they cancel the ACCCG, then both would get in at this point. I would take Cincy over Ohio State. Better competition and body of work.

Would you take Cincy over A&M? I don't see how Cincy gets past this list of teams... assuming they only lose among each other: ALA, ND, CLEM, FLA, A&M.

The question is... can they get past 2 loss Clemson (both losses to ND) & 2 loss Florida (losses to ALA & A&M). They shouldn't in my opinion.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Would you take Cincy over A&M? I don't see how Cincy gets past this list of teams... assuming they only lose among each other: ALA, ND, CLEM, FLA, A&M.

The question is... can they get past 2 loss Clemson (both losses to ND) & 2 loss Florida (losses to ALA & A&M). They shouldn't in my opinion.
Yes. Several “experts” on TV have Cincy ahead of A&M. Not that that matters. But as of right now, if Alabama wins the SEC, they get one team. Several decent teams will be left out this year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Several “experts” on TV have Cincy ahead of A&M. Not that that matters. But as of right now, if Alabama wins the SEC, they get one team. Several decent teams will be left out this year.
I like these discussions (of scenarios). Any 'experts' can say what they want... but right now the committee that picks the playoff teams has A&M ahead of Cincinnati. Perhaps the experts believe the committee will have Cincinnati jump A&M by beating Tulsa twice (which I think is what Cincy has remaining). Tulsa is a good team... so, that will help them. I still cannot see that being enough to pass A&M will a sole loss to Alabama. Who really knows what the committee really does emphasize... despite what they claim to emphasize. The ACC seems to have best shot at getting 2 teams in... I think ND is in if they arrive at ACCCG undefeated no matter the results of that game (unless Clemson just blows their doors off... and even then ND may get in).

Deleted member 2897

on one of the broadcast this weekend, a commentator said they still don’t have any evidence of a case of transmission during an actual football game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
on one of the broadcast this weekend, a commentator said they still don’t have any evidence of a case of transmission during an actual football game.
I heard that, too. The problem with that statement is that contact tracing on most college campuses has gone out the window. Right now I think college football is doing what it has to do to keep playing and follow the rules. Their players are still students and therein lies the choke point. Players are indeed testing positive and teams are doing all they can to keep it from spreading.

Deleted member 2897

I heard that, too. The problem with that statement is that contact tracing on most college campuses has gone out the window. Right now I think college football is doing what it has to do to keep playing and follow the rules. Their players are still students and therein lies the choke point. Players are indeed testing positive and teams are doing all they can to keep it from spreading.

Yep. As many of us had said from the beginning when conferences were debating whether or not to play football - the playing of football was never the problem.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow

At this point we know they are going to bend over backwards to let OSU get into the Big 10 championship so they can get into the CFP. I just hope Ohio State gets their *** handed to them in the Big 10 championship OR they all their big players test false positive (I don't want any of them to actually catch covid) before the CFP so they have to sit out and they lose. That would be the ultimate justice, they get into the CFP because of rigging only to lose.