The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

bos

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if players would be allowed to retain eligibility if games cannot be played.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Moot point from Emmert. Schools will be open, everything is gonna be fine.

It’s May 9th lol.
The NC legislature is about to return to Raleigh (in some fashion) to debate the 2020-21 budget. Revenue projections are expected to be off by 50% even if the state's economy can reopen at some level. Every department has been told to cut their budget request by 40%. That includes the University System. They are also expecting that enrollments at the system's campuses could be off by at least a third. University presidents certainly want to be open, but just how they will manage that is not clear at this point.

Can you picture UNC paying Mack Brown his $3.5 million salary while furloughing college professors due to budget cuts? I know these are separate budgets, but the optics would be horrible.

Also, Duke and Wake have not made their decision to reopen their campuses. Duke, like Harvard, cannot use their huge endowment for operational expenses.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Moot point from Emmert. Schools will be open, everything is gonna be fine.

It’s May 9th lol.
If anyone who has lived in Georgia knows there is really one way to know if fans will be able to attend football games this year.
If the Southern Baptist are able to hold inside services then we be fine with fans at the games. But if they are still doing them online there will be no fans in the stadiums in the deep South.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If anyone who has lived in Georgia knows there is really one way to know if fans will be able to attend football games this year.
If the Southern Baptist are able to hold inside services then we be fine with fans at the games. But if they are still doing them online there will be no fans in the stadiums in the deep South.
My church opens up May 17th

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Been helping my daughter and son-in-law through the house buying process the last week. First chance to spend much time thinking about this.
Based on what has happened in the last 48-72 hours I am still pessimistic.

The NBA's current plan (with a final decision not coming until potentially mid-to-late June according to Silver) is for the rest of the season to be held in 2 locations (one for the Eastern conference, one for the Western) with no fans. Silver also told NBA players it may be that no fans are allowed until after a vaccine is available.

The plan floated by MLB Friday is for an 80 game season with games just against divisional rivals and no fans. It also hinted that they would ask the players for further pay cuts to help cover the cost of the lost fan revenue and the Union has already said that is a no go. Some owners are apparently willing to have no season if the Union doesn't agree to further pay cuts.

Germany's top football league (soccer) is planning on finishing its season, but with ghost games with no fans.

Korea has started its baseball league. base coaches and officials wear masks. No fans. If any player tests positive the league shuts down for 3 weeks.

Taiwan baseball is going to be the first to have fans. The rules there are no more than 1,000 fans per game (1/20 of stadium capacity, 1/6 of avg attendence). They have to sit in assigned seats that are designed to maximize distance between people. They are required to wear masks for the whole game. They are not allowed to eat or drink while at the game.

Finally, if the models on the CDC site are accurate then I don't see sports in the fall. They are projecting the numbers nationally bottoming out in late May/early June and then starting to rise again with estimated deaths between 150,000-200,000 by the beginning of August. In the South alot of states are projected to bottom out by late may with increases starting again in early June. In the Midwest and Mountain States there is a bottom in mid-to-late June and then an increase through July.

And it's not like there are many months yet to make decisions. In order to ramp up for the fall decisions that are going to have to be made on whether students will be on campus and whether there will be fall college sports those have to be made by mid-to-late June to allow time to get ready. So we basically have 5-7 weeks before final decisions have to be made. If cases and deaths are rising again in mid-June like alot of the models project then I don't see the decision makers allowing fans in stands if cases and deaths are going up.

I think the odds of there being college football this fall with fans in the stands is quite low at this point. The US has basically been sitting on a plateau for a month with just a very small decline (that is with large declines in the NYC area, unfortunately that is being offset with rises in other parts of the country).I still hold firm in my belief that if no American professional leagues are playing with fans by July 4th weekend that the NCAA will not allow college sports with fans this fall.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My church opens up May 17th

But is it opening for business as usual or with a modified seating/attendance plan?

My church will open back up in June and most likely will be doing multiple services to spread people out in the sanctuary. While we as churches can do this, I don't know that's entirely viable for football. As I mentioned earlier, if GTAA moves to limit the number of fans there are lot of issues with seating that need to be ironed out fast.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Been helping my daughter and son-in-law through the house buying process the last week. First chance to spend much time thinking about this.
Based on what has happened in the last 48-72 hours I am still pessimistic.

The NBA's current plan (with a final decision not coming until potentially mid-to-late June according to Silver) is for the rest of the season to be held in 2 locations (one for the Eastern conference, one for the Western) with no fans. Silver also told NBA players it may be that no fans are allowed until after a vaccine is available.

The plan floated by MLB Friday is for an 80 game season with games just against divisional rivals and no fans. It also hinted that they would ask the players for further pay cuts to help cover the cost of the lost fan revenue and the Union has already said that is a no go. Some owners are apparently willing to have no season if the Union doesn't agree to further pay cuts.

Germany's top football league (soccer) is planning on finishing its season, but with ghost games with no fans.

Korea has started its baseball league. base coaches and officials wear masks. No fans. If any player tests positive the league shuts down for 3 weeks.

Taiwan baseball is going to be the first to have fans. The rules there are no more than 1,000 fans per game (1/20 of stadium capacity, 1/6 of avg attendence). They have to sit in assigned seats that are designed to maximize distance between people. They are required to wear masks for the whole game. They are not allowed to eat or drink while at the game.

Finally, if the models on the CDC site are accurate then I don't see sports in the fall. They are projecting the numbers nationally bottoming out in late May/early June and then starting to rise again with estimated deaths between 150,000-200,000 by the beginning of August. In the South alot of states are projected to bottom out by late may with increases starting again in early June. In the Midwest and Mountain States there is a bottom in mid-to-late June and then an increase through July.

And it's not like there are many months yet to make decisions. In order to ramp up for the fall decisions that are going to have to be made on whether students will be on campus and whether there will be fall college sports those have to be made by mid-to-late June to allow time to get ready. So we basically have 5-7 weeks before final decisions have to be made. If cases and deaths are rising again in mid-June like alot of the models project then I don't see the decision makers allowing fans in stands if cases and deaths are going up.

I think the odds of there being college football this fall with fans in the stands is quite low at this point. The US has basically been sitting on a plateau for a month with just a very small decline (that is with large declines in the NYC area, unfortunately that is being offset with rises in other parts of the country).I still hold firm in my belief that if no American professional leagues are playing with fans by July 4th weekend that the NCAA will not allow college sports with fans this fall.
I will reinforce this with the following:
Newport Jazz Festival in August - Canceled
Newport Folk Festival in August - Canceled
Fall music festivals that would normally be selling tickets now are not. Hardly Strickly Bluegrass in San Francisco, Austin City Limits, Wide Open Bluegrass in Raleigh, and almost every other major music festival have postponed beginning ticket sales until June or July.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I will reinforce this with the following:
Newport Jazz Festival in August - Canceled
Newport Folk Festival in August - Canceled
Fall music festivals that would normally be selling tickets now are not. Hardly Strickly Bluegrass in San Francisco, Austin City Limits, Wide Open Bluegrass in Raleigh, and almost every other major music festival have postponed beginning ticket sales until June or July.

For the record, Hardly Strictly is awesome. Golden Gate Park is a killer venue. Just watch out for the brownies. . .

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, updates today.
The American Hockey League has cancelled the remainder of its season and playoffs (that is the top minor league for the NHL).
The Chinese Basketball Association announced 3 plans they are considering to try to restart their season. All involve the absence of fans.
The President of the French Tennis Federation said today the French Open could possibly move back one week (currently scheduled for sep 20 - Oct 4) and would potentially take place without fans in attendence if that means they could move forward with it for TV.
MLB Owners have agreed to a plan to re-start baseball, will be presented to the players tomorrow. This should be considered the opening proposal of what is likely to be multiple counter proposals.

At this point it seems highly unlikely their will be any fans in the stands of college football games if they happen. Unfortunately that ship has probably almost sailed.

This link is an in-depth plan for how to re-start baseball by a former MLB executive. It gives some idea of everything that has to be dealt with before a sports entity can start playing again.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...cludes-23-rule-changes-august-start-and-more/

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
But is it opening for business as usual or with a modified seating/attendance plan?

My church will open back up in June and most likely will be doing multiple services to spread people out in the sanctuary. While we as churches can do this, I don't know that's entirely viable for football. As I mentioned earlier, if GTAA moves to limit the number of fans there are lot of issues with seating that need to be ironed out fast.
It's with social distancing but they are not adding new services.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FWIW, updates today.
The American Hockey League has cancelled the remainder of its season and playoffs (that is the top minor league for the NHL).
The Chinese Basketball Association announced 3 plans they are considering to try to restart their season. All involve the absence of fans.
The President of the French Tennis Federation said today the French Open could possibly move back one week (currently scheduled for sep 20 - Oct 4) and would potentially take place without fans in attendence if that means they could move forward with it for TV.
MLB Owners have agreed to a plan to re-start baseball, will be presented to the players tomorrow. This should be considered the opening proposal of what is likely to be multiple counter proposals.

At this point it seems highly unlikely their will be any fans in the stands of college football games if they happen. Unfortunately that ship has probably almost sailed.

This link is an in-depth plan for how to re-start baseball by a former MLB executive. It gives some idea of everything that has to be dealt with before a sports entity can start playing again.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/what-will-2020-mlb-season-look-like-david-samsons-proposal-inclThe big worry is that the udes-23-rule-changes-august-start-and-more/
My ex-provost friend in Oriental has been in contact with former colleagues and shared his thoughts with me this weekend. Colleges are going forward with plans for on-campus classes and some or all students in dorms. That is what they hope the situation will allow. The big worry is that the backside COVID-19 slope will likely have about the same number of cases and deaths as the front side even if we maintain current mitigation plans. If that happens the decision about how to reopen may not be made until August. Then it could be too late for many universities to have a lot students return. The financial worries right now are enormous. Every college is also planning for online classes. They know some students will not be able to return for a variety of reasons. Some parents will just say no as they worry about the virus. Others will not be able to afford a residence college for their child after being out of work for months.

When I asked about football, he said I should not buy any tickets. There is a very small chance that colleges will have fans at the games, even if they have games. Getting refunds will be an interesting problem as the AA's all continue to have overhead.

My question for the Swarm: Do you think ESPN will still consider a fanless football season to have the same monetary value as one with fans?