The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

slugboy

Staff member
This. The ACC making a poor decision is the third most certain thing in life, narrowly behind death and taxes...

I’ve seen the NHL and Gary Bettman; the ACC can make sub-optimal decisions, but the NHL has a special knack for making the absolute worst decisions well beyond what even Swofford can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That is in today's college football world. If you leave and create a new one it won't work quite the same. By forming your own three conference sports organization you have effectively killed your market outside of your region. One thing that also drives high ratings is games between ranked teams. How do rankings even work at that point? Are they going to create a new playoff system that makes as much money as the CFP? Probably not. Are they going to make a basketball tournament that brings in as much as the NCAA tournament? No chance. Are they going to devise a new bowl system that pays out as much as the current one? Probably not. Are all of the teams in those conferences going to be happy playing less home games? Probably not. It would end up being drastically less money for everyone.
I don't know if you've noticed, but those three have been the playoff.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if you've noticed, but those three have been the playoff.
That has little relation to how much money they could make creating their own playoff with a considerably smaller viewer base. That’s also assuming they could find some way to do it without getting sued into oblivion.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
That has little relation to how much money they could make creating their own playoff with a considerably smaller viewer base. That’s also assuming they could find some way to do it without getting sued into oblivion.
Who would have standing to sue?

slugboy

Staff member
Who would have standing to sue?

I’m not sure how many contracts are involved in the current bowl alignments and the college football championship, but I’d say anyone on either side of any of those contracts who could lose income if they changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the only thing that is safe to say is that it won't start on time all over the country. The SE is going to do everything it can to start on time, that is obvious.
The good news is that in the last week we finally have legitimate good data news. positive case rates and deaths are both declining nationwide. Nationwide cases are close to levels they were at at the end of March. Deaths are still 200% higher than were we were at the end of March but are 30% below the peak.
Still no way we are going to have large crowds in stands (if any at all)- that just isn't going to happen, but we might get some football.

It will still likely come down to what the environment looks like in late June/early July. If the virus rebounds around that time like some models predict than playing football will get harder. If it continues in a general downward trend it gets more likely.

If you want to see football my advice is really simple - wear a mask and stay 6 ft away from people. The more we do that the more the virus will decline. The less we do that the more likely it is to rebound. In 5 years I didn't miss a single home football or basketball game as a student, so I love college sports, but it will only happen if we can keep the players safe.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that statement largely tracks with what else we have seen in the last week.

The biggest issue is simple, the budgets are so wrecked if there is no football that they are going to try everything possible to play.
The biggest key is likely to be that there is no big spike in the late June/early July time frame. If that happens then I would expect that would really throw a wrench into things.

Even if they play this season the revenue losses are going to be significant. if they can't have fans that is huge. Even if they can, the best case scenario is where you get to have 10-20% of your normal number. That is reportedly what the NFL is trying to work on behind the scenes - hoping to be able to get about 15K people in a stadium if it is safe enough to do so. The idea would be only season ticket holders would get to go to games and since there are more than those than seats that would be available in a game there would be a lottery and you would basically get tickets for handful of games. You also would not have any real say in where you sit. I would assume in college that at least some seats would be reserved for students. The first recommendation I would make though if they do play games and some fans are allowed would be no opposing team tickets. All seats in the stadium (in Bobby Dodd i'm betting the number wouldn't be higher than 10K, could be lower) would go to students and season ticket holders and there likely would have to be a lottery for those tickets for each game. I would think that season ticket holders would be guaranteed 2 or 3 games

Obviously if you have no fans than you likely lose most of the revenue you receive from the advertising within the stadium since no one is there to see it. And with a reduced attendance you would have to reduce the contract amount.

Finally, if we have an significant outbreak in the fall will that be it and it get shut down, I would understand that completely, but man that would stick, getting it going only to have to shut it down.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The first recommendation I would make though if they do play games and some fans are allowed would be no opposing team tickets.
It would have to be that. Travel is still going to be an issue, especially if you're farther than a quick drive (who is rushing to hop back on an airplane?). I feel like that is the best-case scenario as things stand today. Of course a lot can change in a few months (Jan - Mar anyone?) but it'll take a serious decline to get there.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is a great article from SI talking to all the FBS conference commissioners about what they are dealing with.
My takeaway is that they are doing everything possible to have a season, to have it in the fall and to start as close to on time as possible, but that almost everything is still on the table because there are simply more questions than answers.
This is a long discussion but well worth reading.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/14/college-football-2020-season-ncaa-future

You can tell at this point they are hoping everything just sort of works out but coming to the realization that it is likely that different conferences may have different starting points and that even within conferences different schools could have different starting points.

They are also coming to the conclusion it is going to be expensive as the schools are likely going to have to invest serious money in testing because without robust testing there will not be a season.

One model that is starting to gain a little support is a conference games +1 model. C-USA commissioner said one model they have looked at is just having division teams play each other twice (home and away). (my note - If Conference +1 becomes the model for the ACC then GT would likely have to choose between either the ND game or the UGA game as its +1. Wouldn't be able to play both)

As far as people in the stands the dolphins proposal has them hoping they can do something similar. When asked about who would get tickets if some people were allowed in one commissioner responded - students first, then faculty and staff, then season ticket holders. Also, the closer the season starts on time the fewer the people in the stands. They also don't know how many people would actually want to attend in person.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@RamblinRed The Domers are independent so GT has to be one of the 8, 9, etc they want to play also. I would think Atlanta is attractive to them but they might decide our impact on their SOS might be a bit too much.

I’m hoping for a 10 week schedule. 8 conference games, 1 rivalry game & 1 of a school’s choice. No off weeks. 10 straight weeks of football. Start the last week in September to get the practice time in missed from spring & summer.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here is a great article from SI talking to all the FBS conference commissioners about what they are dealing with.
My takeaway is that they are doing everything possible to have a season, to have it in the fall and to start as close to on time as possible, but that almost everything is still on the table because there are simply more questions than answers.
This is a long discussion but well worth reading.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/14/college-football-2020-season-ncaa-future

You can tell at this point they are hoping everything just sort of works out but coming to the realization that it is likely that different conferences may have different starting points and that even within conferences different schools could have different starting points.

They are also coming to the conclusion it is going to be expensive as the schools are likely going to have to invest serious money in testing because without robust testing there will not be a season.

One model that is starting to gain a little support is a conference games +1 model. C-USA commissioner said one model they have looked at is just having division teams play each other twice (home and away). (my note - If Conference +1 becomes the model for the ACC then GT would likely have to choose between either the ND game or the UGA game as its +1. Wouldn't be able to play both)

As far as people in the stands the dolphins proposal has them hoping they can do something similar. When asked about who would get tickets if some people were allowed in one commissioner responded - students first, then faculty and staff, then season ticket holders. Also, the closer the season starts on time the fewer the people in the stands. They also don't know how many people would actually want to attend in person.
Forget about the fans for a moment. What happens when a player tests positive? This will inevitably happen, so the colleges have to have a plan. Telling a 20 year football player to stay 6 feet away from his girlfriend is like telling the sun to rise in the west. The college cannot control the girlfriend and the people she has contact with.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...ll-player-tests-positive-for-coronavirus.html

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Forget about the fans for a moment. What happens when a player tests positive? This will inevitably happen, so the colleges have to have a plan. Telling a 20 year football player to stay 6 feet away from his girlfriend is like telling the sun to rise in the west. The college cannot control the girlfriend and the people she has contact with.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...ll-player-tests-positive-for-coronavirus.html

I agree. it sounds like if one player tests positive they are largely going to keep going. But if that leads to an outbreak, then I think it would be hard to continue.
They actually talk about that some in the article. What happens if a player for team B tests positive and team A decides they will not play team B. How will that be handled? Will it be a forfeit? Will it be a 'no contest'. They haven't come to decisions on that yet, though it sounds like they may be leaning to it juts not counting and that different teams are likely to have played different number of games.

The other piece on this is that it won't be AD's making the final decisions. It will be college President's and Governors. One Commissioner said he hopes all the Governors can get on the same page. How likely is that given the levels of cases is likely to be different in different parts of the country? That's sort of part of the 'what we would like to have in a best case scenario' vs what is likely to be the reality.

I saw a different report on academics yesterday where some systems are considering trying to start their fall semesters early, have no fall break and wrap up the semester by Thanksgiving so they wouldn't have students on campus after Thanksgiving until 2021.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I agree. it sounds like if one player tests positive they are largely going to keep going. But if that leads to an outbreak, then I think it would be hard to continue.
They actually talk about that some in the article. What happens if a player for team B tests positive and team A decides they will not play team B. How will that be handled? Will it be a forfeit? Will it be a 'no contest'. They haven't come to decisions on that yet, though it sounds like they may be leaning to it juts not counting and that different teams are likely to have played different number of games.

The other piece on this is that it won't be AD's making the final decisions. It will be college President's and Governors. One Commissioner said he hopes all the Governors can get on the same page. How likely is that given the levels of cases is likely to be different in different parts of the country? That's sort of part of the 'what we would like to have in a best case scenario' vs what is likely to be the reality.

I saw a different report on academics yesterday where some systems are considering trying to start their fall semesters early, have no fall break and wrap up the semester by Thanksgiving so they wouldn't have students on campus after Thanksgiving until 2021.

Honestly it's not worth even attempting if you are gonna shut it down with the first positive.