The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just read that The Citadel, a member of the FCS Southern Conference, which has deferred all CONFERENCE GAMES until the Spring, but is allowing non-conference games to be played in the Fall, will be the home opener now for Clemson. Best and worst of both worlds there, I guess.

This is sad on so many levels. The Citadel risks great bodily harm and embarrassment. But the school will get paid for the whipping.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is probably the one thing I am paying closest attention to along with the medical committees. Read an article today that talked to over 30 of the committee members from the 5 medical advisory boards across the P5. One thing that members of the P5 conferences still moving ahead said in the article is that they haven't given final approval to play, they have only given approval to keep moving forward. Basically they have said they are just looking at the next step, not the final step and come to each of those steps and make a decision. So while we continue to move forward we don't have that final send off yet. We need the numbers to keep coming down, and hopefully quickly, as the Dr. O'Neal from LSU said if she had to make a decision today she doesn't know she would say yes.

Other than the medical committees watching how many schools cancel and go virtual is something to keep an eye on. Almost the entire PAC12 is virtual with very few people on campus (mainly Intl students and those with nowhere else to go). I've seen at least one article already with the topic of if students are not on campus, why are student-athletes on campus. If enough schools start cancelling in-person that could become a much louder noise and has the potential to become a pain point for Presidents. I'm hoping not too many colleges have to go online.

Forbes article says less than 1/4 of colleges have committed to fully or primarily in person instruction.

LibertyTurns

Banned
This is sad on so many levels. The Citadel risks great bodily harm and embarrassment. But the school will get paid for the whipping.
2 years ago Citadel had Bama tied at the half. I doubt they were embarassed even though the 2nd half was 7-40. I don‘t recall any great bodily harm either except for Bama’s top running back who suffered a concussion.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hate to bring up a sore memory, but The Citadel did beat Tech last year, and in previous years FCS teams have often upset FBS teams. No way they could possibly beat Clemson, but ........

Forgot about that. Must have covid.

I think Clemson wins by 50. The TO takes a few games to get in synch.

Discussion about holding the Tour de France. It was delayed 2 months and cases are increasing to 4000 a day, so concern. Different culture there. https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/the-tour-de-france-starts-next-week-but-should-it/

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
So merely having online classes does nothing.
You really believe that keeping people separated won’t slow the spread? In class schooling is failing everywhere it’s being tried. The closer ppl group together the more it spreads. It’s not even debatable any more.

Deleted member 2897

You really believe that keeping people separated won’t slow the spread? In class schooling is failing everywhere it’s being tried. The closer ppl group together the more it spreads. It’s not even debatable any more.

It’s failing where it’s being tried....where there is no separation and people aren’t wearing masks. You can have in person classes and not get sick. Plenty of places are actually proving that. The ones that fail aren’t doing it right.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It’s failing where it’s being tried....where there is no separation and people aren’t wearing masks. You can have in person classes and not get sick. Plenty of places are actually proving that. The ones that fail aren’t doing it right.

Tautology on the last statement :)

My wife and I ventured for the first time to a local restaurant / bar on Wednesday night. We were meeting a couple like we used to do pre-COVID (Feb 2020) for some drinks.

Stayed less than 5 minutes as we were seated on a covered outside patio. There were two large groups (one ~20 and ~10) standing together laughing and talking. No masks at all.

Oh yeah, they were mostly late 30s to 40s. It's not all college kids. This virus is going to kick our *** this winter. Ended up going someplace else for take out, went home, drank and played cards. Life is good.

Deleted member 2897

My wife and I ventured for the first time to a local restaurant / bar on Wednesday night. We were meeting a couple like we used to do pre-COVID (Feb 2020) for some drinks.

Stayed less than 5 minutes as we were seated on a covered outside patio. There were two large groups (one ~20 and ~10) standing together laughing and talking. No masks at all.

Oh yeah, they were mostly late 30s to 40s. It's not all college kids. This virus is going to kick our *** this winter. Ended up going someplace else for take out, went home, drank and played cards. Life is good.

There are plenty of older people “not doing it right” for sure.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

We do have a rebellious culture, and so many out there that still want to believe the virus itself is some sort of "hoax". (not talking about how political parties are using it in a way that is inappropriate, trying to blame a person instead of the country of origin) I agree that it is going to "blow up" even larger than before if people do the things you saw while you were out.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We do have a rebellious culture, and so many out there that still want to believe the virus itself is some sort of "hoax".
That’s part of it but a larger portion of the problem is we went “full” for a sustained period of time (over a month) without any thought behind what was actually needed; this cycle partially repeated itself when we started weaponizing the data; many realized we’d been had (once, twice, etc) and tuned out; then we needed some of what we clamored for when we went “full” but because we’d been had we dismissed it as just being crazed and out of control again; by the time we realized we weren’t being BS’d at version 3, 4, whatever we had become entrenched and weren’t ready to accept the facts at hand.

All along we just needed people to react about the same- keep the frail quarantined, stay home of you’re sick, wash your hands, wear a mask if you’re packed in like sardines, etc. Of we hadn’t gone “full”, well we get a much different outcome because folks would have complied with this much easier than burning the house down then carpet bombing the remains to save it.

Lastly, we started with “flatten the curve”, not
eliminate the curve. Flatten just extends the period of time you’re dealing with an issue, it does not eliminate it. We’re now pissed because we flattened the curve and we don’t like the amount of time we added to getting thru the pandemic. Well the alternative was much worse for a shorter period of time. We made a choice and now we don’t like it.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

Deleted member 2897

When will we ever be able to play again? There’s no guarantee scientists will ever find a vaccine. We will all become hermits.

Well here is why they say we can never live the same way again:

"In particular, the Covid-19 pandemic has given new impetus to the need to accelerate efforts to respond to climate change," he said. "The Covid-19 pandemic has given us a glimpse of our world as it could be: cleaner skies and rivers."

What a bunch of total idiots.

Rivera are cleaner now? The temperatures are decreasing? So we should torpedo our economies -35% and put a large portion of people into financial ruin over snake oil? LOL.

Let’s be careful but keep living. Let’s play some damned football.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

"In particular, the Covid-19 pandemic has given new impetus to the need to accelerate efforts to respond to climate change," he said. "The Covid-19 pandemic has given us a glimpse of our world as it could be: cleaner skies and rivers."

Rivera are cleaner now? The temperatures are decreasing? So we should torpedo our economies -35% and put a large portion of people into financial ruin over snake oil? LOL.

I do not think we should have to make the choice between a healthy environment and a robust economy. We need both. Just like in football where we have seen changes to equipment and rules to mitigate the number and severity of injuries, we should be willing to accept changes in our lives that enable cleaner air and water. In fact, we are already doing that with cleaner running engines and better water treatment processes. We have a ways to go, but the COVID shutdown in our economies around the world showed that improvements can be made. People are indeed having an impact.

But, to bring this back to football, the WHO report regarding climate change is a non-issue right now. If we have football this fall it will be because the ACC and others are willing to accept whatever risks exist. Those are both financial and participant well-being.

Deleted member 2897

I do not think we should have to make the choice between a healthy environment and a robust economy. We need both. Just like in football where we have seen changes to equipment and rules to mitigate the number and severity of injuries, we should be willing to accept changes in our lives that enable cleaner air and water. In fact, we are already doing that with cleaner running engines and better water treatment processes. We have a ways to go, but the COVID shutdown in our economies around the world showed that improvements can be made. People are indeed having an impact.

But, to bring this back to football, the WHO report regarding climate change is a non-issue right now. If we have football this fall it will be because the ACC and others are willing to accept whatever risks exist. Those are both financial and participant well-being.

We don’t need to infect 50 million, kill a few million, and impoverish even more to improve the environment. Every time universities and other officials listen to “health experts” we just need to hope it’s real health experts and not this kind.

slugboy

Staff member
I think the argument that people make against students being kept off campus while athletes are allowed on campus is "why should football players/student athletes get better treatment/testing/conditions than that of the regular student body?" I've seen some form of this all over Twitter when this idea comes up. That the safety and health of the student athletes is considered more important than the average student's, and that all students should have access to all the testing, etc that the athletes get. I'm torn as to whether this is a valid argument or not...student athletes already get different treatment/privileges as is, for example basketball when you travel/miss class for NCAA tournament.
Georgia Tech has a lot more money riding on research dollars than on sports. There is at least some teleworking going on at GTRI. However, there are some on-campus responsibilities that I am sure can’t be done remotely, and I’d think some of the research jobs are in that category.
To me, being on campus seems like a work requirement for football and other sports, and makes more sense to compare to other campus-related situations where the person has to be on campus—like some of the jobs that can’t be done remotely.
However, this viewpoint puts me in the position of saying “job” rather than “scholarship”.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech has a lot more money riding on research dollars than on sports. There is at least some teleworking going on at GTRI. However, there are some on-campus responsibilities that I am sure can’t be done remotely, and I’d think some of the research jobs are in that category.
To me, being on campus seems like a work requirement for football and other sports, and makes more sense to compare to other campus-related situations where the person has to be on campus—like some of the jobs that can’t be done remotely.
However, this viewpoint puts me in the position of saying “job” rather than “scholarship”.
Good points... simply put... you're "obligated" or "required" to be present to perform your duties as assigned. Yes... nothing special about a football player in that category. There are others across campus.

The bottom line is you can make things safer for everyone (during a pandemic) by figuring all that out.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Kentucky Derby changed directions today and announced no fans will be allowed in the stands. I'm still a little surprised, though not shocked, the colleges are going to try to play football with fans in the stands. I haven't seen much from Americans in the last 5 months that suggest that will work successfully.

I did love this that was passed on to me today. We can play August Madness - who will be the last school to go online.

Attachments

• August Madness.jpg
    August Madness.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 20

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

You definitely need smart policies so you don't throw millions of people out of work needlessly, but we do need to work to make changes over time. We need both mitigation policies (to slow down the climate change) and replacement policies (to deal with climate change - like moving people farther away from coastlines). It's something we need to deal with over the next 20-30 years.

FWIW, temperatures have increased significantly. Here is the data from NOAA that was released Aug 14th.