The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
As a reminder, 70% of patients studied in Germany who had gotten COVID-19 showed heart problems afterwards. And these were 45-55 year olds, not young athletes. Someone mentioned the Russian Roulette analogy earlier. If you have a revolver that holds 1000 bullets, that's probably a great analogy. The vast vast majority are fine, with most that age not even getting sick in the first place. But there is that 1000th bullet. Its a weird dynamic right now, with many other health issues like CTE being better known and definitively worse on football players. Its almost like its so well known everybody is okay with the risk because they can see it, but something that is magnitudes less dangerous but magnitudes less well known has got them hung up. But not hung up enough to stop tens of thousands of students from coming back on campuses in most cases. 🤷‍♂️
[/QUOTE]

And, on regular "seasonal" influenza, I have not see many heart problems for people under the age of 55 before. This thing, per our local cardiologists and neurologists, is 10X more incendiary than the standard influenza. I realize there are some more incendiary strains of influenza, but docs around me do NOT appreciate the comparison.

Milwaukee

Banned
This is why the Pac-12 & B10 presidents agreed to postpone the season. This is too much to ask of student athletes. Disagree with me if you must, but heart issues are serious at any age.

They have an opt-out they can choose in case you weren’t aware. I like the fact that the players can not play and won’t be punished and fans can choose to not attend if they’re worried. It’s literally a win/win.

herb

Helluva Engineer
This is why the Pac-12 & B10 presidents agreed to postpone the season. This is too much to ask of student athletes. Disagree with me if you must, but heart issues are serious at any age.

Help me understand your concern. The conferences are proceeding under medical advice from respected sources whose reputations are now on the line. The Mayo Clinic is respected world wide. The players are tested routinely. If they test positive they cannot return to play until they have been cleared for Covid and related heart issues. If they do not play, given what has been going on on the college campuses, they would appear to be more exposed than they are in their modified bubble

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
NC State is following UNC and closing their in person classes. Everyone is going to online and students moving off campus. It would appear they are doing this so it's safe to play football.

1597950115878.png

herb

Helluva Engineer
NC State is following UNC and closing their in person classes. Everyone is going to online and students moving off campus. It would appear they are doing this so it's safe to play football.

View attachment 8813

The web site said that students could remain on campus and in dorms if they chose. " For our residential students who want to continue living on campus and receiving the support it provides, you are welcome to stay – we are not closing on-campus housing. "

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The web site said that students could remain on campus and in dorms if they chose. " For our residential students who want to continue living on campus and receiving the support it provides, you are welcome to stay – we are not closing on-campus housing. "
Interesting. A neighbor told me her daughter had to move out by the weekend. That seems to be in conflict with the chancellor's letter.

It is interesting to me that classes are closing down person to person contact, but that's not where they say the clusters are originating. It is possible the students have been given a version of this that makes my neighbor believe there is little reason for her daughter to remain in Raleigh with most of her fellow students leaving. And, if most students are not leaving this decision makes little sense. FWIW, UNC said students who needed the campus housing it would remain open.

Deleted member 2897

Interesting. A neighbor told me her daughter had to move out by the weekend. That seems to be in conflict with the chancellor's letter.

It is interesting to me that classes are closing down person to person contact, but that's not where they say the clusters are originating. It is possible the students have been given a version of this that makes my neighbor believe there is little reason for her daughter to remain in Raleigh with most of her fellow students leaving. And, if most students are not leaving this decision makes little sense. FWIW, UNC said students who needed the campus housing it would remain open.

If they want a housing refund they have to leave now.

Deleted member 2897

As we have all said here, none of this has been about the health and safety of the student athletes or regular students. There's a massive amount of dorm, on campus apartments, tuition, and meal plan money on the table. COVID transmission will happen in dorms, apartments, fraternity houses, bars, restaurants, etc. So merely having online classes does nothing. Its not the playing of football that is the dangerous part. Its not easy, especially for international and out of state students to want to leave their friends once they're already there. Its really hard after making investments and time and sweat moving to then turn around and leave. By staying, they now tacitly accept the risk themselves, and the University keeps their money.

The negative health outcomes for people that age is massively low. There is no reason for the University to send everyone home and to not play sports. But, for the campuses who cancel sports AND close their campuses down, at least we can respect their consistency. Everyone else is trying to get as much money as they can and cover their butts.

GT_EE78

Banned

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for telling me about that. I just went to that site and designed and ordered 2 masks. By designing it, I mean that I am having it made in Gold, with a big white GT outlined in black and "TOGETHER WE SWARM" in smaller letters also outlined in black above and below the GT logo. It cost $60.00 total (I guess the minimum order is 2), but based on the preview, they are going to look GREAT !!!
Cool! Hope you like them.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As we have all said here, none of this has been about the health and safety of the student athletes or regular students. There's a massive amount of dorm, on campus apartments, tuition, and meal plan money on the table. COVID transmission will happen in dorms, apartments, fraternity houses, bars, restaurants, etc. So merely having online classes does nothing. Its not the playing of football that is the dangerous part. Its not easy, especially for international and out of state students to want to leave their friends once they're already there. Its really hard after making investments and time and sweat moving to then turn around and leave. By staying, they now tacitly accept the risk themselves, and the University keeps their money.

The negative health outcomes for people that age is massively low. There is no reason for the University to send everyone home and to not play sports. But, for the campuses who cancel sports AND close their campuses down, at least we can respect their consistency. Everyone else is trying to get as much money as they can and cover their butts.

Absolutely. For example, you have the third party vendor who runs some of the dorms for Univ System of GA that basically said that the system could not cut back on the students living in dorms even for safety reasons

"The letter to the Georgia system goes further, adding a paragraph saying the Board of Regents does not have the unilateral right to prevent students from living on campus, discourage students from living on campuses or exercise contractual rights that have a material impact on Corvias’s operation and management. "

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

View attachment 8813

This is probably the one thing I am paying closest attention to along with the medical committees. Read an article today that talked to over 30 of the committee members from the 5 medical advisory boards across the P5. One thing that members of the P5 conferences still moving ahead said in the article is that they haven't given final approval to play, they have only given approval to keep moving forward. Basically they have said they are just looking at the next step, not the final step and come to each of those steps and make a decision. So while we continue to move forward we don't have that final send off yet. We need the numbers to keep coming down, and hopefully quickly, as the Dr. O'Neal from LSU said if she had to make a decision today she doesn't know she would say yes.

Other than the medical committees watching how many schools cancel and go virtual is something to keep an eye on. Almost the entire PAC12 is virtual with very few people on campus (mainly Intl students and those with nowhere else to go). I've seen at least one article already with the topic of if students are not on campus, why are student-athletes on campus. If enough schools start cancelling in-person that could become a much louder noise and has the potential to become a pain point for Presidents. I'm hoping not too many colleges have to go online.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
For months... this has really annoyed me. The notion that you cannot safely have SAs on campus if you cannot safely have all students on campus. You can.

It's exactly same logic of keeping "families" separate in BDS at 20% capacity.

Having only SAs on campus is the SAFEST scenario for everyone. Now... whether it's "fair" or is a terrible "message" is another discussion.

But if you want to keep instruction (college curriculum) going at all for general student AND have football, the best way to do that is online class & keep working toward a football season.

Deleted member 2897

This is probably the one thing I am paying closest attention to along with the medical committees. Read an article today that talked to over 30 of the committee members from the 5 medical advisory boards across the P5. One thing that members of the P5 conferences still moving ahead said in the article is that they haven't given final approval to play, they have only given approval to keep moving forward. Basically they have said they are just looking at the next step, not the final step and come to each of those steps and make a decision. So while we continue to move forward we don't have that final send off yet. We need the numbers to keep coming down, and hopefully quickly, as the Dr. O'Neal from LSU said if she had to make a decision today she doesn't know she would say yes.

Other than the medical committees watching how many schools cancel and go virtual is something to keep an eye on. Almost the entire PAC12 is virtual with very few people on campus (mainly Intl students and those with nowhere else to go). I've seen at least one article already with the topic of if students are not on campus, why are student-athletes on campus. If enough schools start cancelling in-person that could become a much louder noise and has the potential to become a pain point for Presidents. I'm hoping not too many colleges have to go online.

The ironic part is that keeping students off-campus should make the ability to play football almost 100% a certainty, as the highest risk of transmission would then be all but eliminated. What a strange world that we live in. Any school who says that canceling classes and closing campus puts football at risk is loony.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
The ironic part is that keeping students off-campus should make the ability to play football almost 100% a certainty, as the highest risk of transmission would then be all but eliminated. What a strange world that we live in. Any school who says that canceling classes and closing campus puts football at risk is loony.

I think the argument that people make against students being kept off campus while athletes are allowed on campus is "why should football players/student athletes get better treatment/testing/conditions than that of the regular student body?" I've seen some form of this all over Twitter when this idea comes up. That the safety and health of the student athletes is considered more important than the average student's, and that all students should have access to all the testing, etc that the athletes get. I'm torn as to whether this is a valid argument or not...student athletes already get different treatment/privileges as is, for example basketball when you travel/miss class for NCAA tournament.

Deleted member 2897

I think the argument that people make against students being kept off campus while athletes are allowed on campus is "why should football players/student athletes get better treatment/testing/conditions than that of the regular student body?" I've seen some form of this all over Twitter when this idea comes up. That the safety and health of the student athletes is considered more important than the average student's, and that all students should have access to all the testing, etc that the athletes get. I'm torn as to whether this is a valid argument or not...student athletes already get different treatment/privileges as is, for example basketball when you travel/miss class for NCAA tournament.

Yes isn’t it ironic that everyone is so concerned about the health and safety of the student athletes, but yet with reckless abandon they are willing to have tens of thousands of regular students on campus. Seems like more and more people are realizing this doesn’t have anything to do with anybody’s health and safety. $$$$$$$$$

The other dimension which some people have touched on his freedom and choice. If students want to live on campus and some of them want to play sports, what business is it of anybody else?

People risk STDs, CTE, staph infections, alcohol poisoning, sexual assault, the flu and all kinds of other things while in college.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Everyone deserves to be heard. I'm for erring on the side of caution with SAs health and lives (in general, everyone's health and lives), but it doesn't mean my mind can't be changed if medicine and science prove SAs can safely play sports.

That is similar to a Swiss study released a few weeks ago that caused the Governor of Ohio and a week later the Governor of Minnesota to reverse course on HCQ. The B1G study had a 45 year old as its youngest subject and just wasn't a large enough sample to justify the B1G decision.