The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Most likely, legal "experts" that were being paid well made the final decisions for the Big Ten and Pac 12. (yes, I realize that medical experts are also weighing in, but the legal ramifications are probably what is being listened to the most) I am guessing that the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 are getting the same advice, but due to more pressure from big $$ donors, they are probably ignoring that advice, to some degree. (all about risk of liabilities vs. rewards)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Did you read my post? I just backed up my assertion with actual quotes from the people involved.

You're the guy who spent the better part of a day arguing a false narrative that South Carolina's COVID numbers didn't peak on July 10th and haven't decreased for 6 straight weeks. I shared with you links to the data and graphs which showed you the numbers. I don't make stuff up. When I'm speculating about something I say I'm speculating about something.

Yes. I read your post. You should follow your own advice.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Most likely, legal "experts" that were being paid well made the final decisions for the Big Ten and Pac 12. (yes, I realize that medical experts are also weighing in, but the legal ramifications are probably what is being listened to the most) I am guessing that the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 are getting the same advice, but due to more pressure from big $$ donors, they are probably ignoring that advice, to some degree. (all about risk of liabilities vs. rewards)

And/or, they’ve (ACC, SEC, BIG12) are just playing essentially a stall game to hopefully buy more time, hoping for a magic solution to arise.

Last edited:

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Closer to home:

This is pretty much the diagnosis of at least 10 Big Ten players also (at least heart related issues), some who barely even had symptoms while the infection was happening. This is some nasty stuff, folks. I realize many will not have any long term issues, but it is kind of Russian Roulette to some degree.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And/or, they’ve (ACC, SEC, BIG12) are just playing essentially a stall game to hopefully buy more time, hoping for a magic solution to arise. Possibly just buying time.

I've heard several people speculate it's a bid to keep practicing and developing players as long as possible. Have to say this makes the most sense in light of everything.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I just read that The Citadel, a member of the FCS Southern Conference, which has deferred all CONFERENCE GAMES until the Spring, but is allowing non-conference games to be played in the Fall, will be the home opener now for Clemson. Best and worst of both worlds there, I guess.

Citadel needs the pay check. Here's hoping they beat an ACC team two years in a row...

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
This is pretty much the diagnosis of at least 10 Big Ten players also (at least heart related issues), some who barely even had symptoms while the infection was happening. This is some nasty stuff, folks. I realize many will not have any long term issues, but it is kind of Russian Roulette to some degree.

So are full heart exams prior to covid being used as a baseline? Or, after the infection they (the Athletic departments) are doing a better job of catching heart irregularities. Im not bashing this kid or any kid for pulling out over this concern, but I was in college when Jason Collier died of an enlarged heart and as a 7ft college basketball center playing in pretty good shape, I requested to have my heart checked and never got any responses and after several tries just gave up. Does anyone know, first hand knowledge, example of what is done with the athletes now and heart exams prior to their seasons?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So are full heart exams prior to covid being used as a baseline? Or, after the infection they (the Athletic departments) are doing a better job of catching heart irregularities. Im not bashing this kid or any kid for pulling out over this concern, but I was in college when Jason Collier died of an enlarged heart and as a 7ft college basketball center playing in pretty good shape, I requested to have my heart checked and never got any responses and after several tries just gave up. Does anyone know, first hand knowledge, example of what is done with the athletes now and heart exams prior to their seasons?

It wasn't myocarditis, but wasn't it an exam from GT DRs thats diagnosed AJ Gray's heart problem? I think most major programs are routinely checking these things now.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't myocarditis, but wasn't it an exam from GT DRs thats diagnosed AJ Gray's heart problem? I think most major programs are routinely checking these things now.

Just read the article where it was discovered after a more through search after torn labrum surgery. So IDK. I just wish that an intense medical exam on each player would happen. That might help stop college age kids from dropping dead during conditioning drills. What would have happened to AJ Gray had they not found the irregularity after surgery and not feeling right and asking for more tests?

Scars and heart irregularities from birth are common, but usually go undetected until the player drops dead.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Just read the article where it was discovered after a more through search after torn labrum surgery. So IDK. I just wish that an intense medical exam on each player would happen. That might help stop college age kids from dropping dead during conditioning drills. What would have happened to AJ Gray had they not found the irregularity after surgery and not feeling right and asking for more tests?

They had monitored the condition from his arrival at GT. They recognized an enlargement in his yearly exam I believe. From the article you linked to:
Gray was born with an abnormal aortic valve, which is associated with the enlargement of the beginning portion of his aorta, according to a team doctor’s explanatory email to Allen Gray that he shared with the AJC. Aware of the condition, team doctors have monitored his heart, and recognized that his aorta had grown in size from last year.

GT_EE78

Banned
maybe it won't be a pandemic by the time toe meets leather. Things looking better daily now.
1597944797825.jpeg

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Closer to home:

Fake news. Get out there and play snowflake!
<sarcastic *** hole rant off>
I hope we can get some football but I sincerely hope that no players are affected long term or worse case, passes away. It’s just a game and it should be treated as such.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Don't really know, TooTall, but I have read about too many younger people with blood clots and heart issues AFTER covid to believe they are all unrelated. And, I have had very trusted doctors in my local area of N. AL and from UAB say that this virus is definitely difficult on many people's cardiovascular system (as well as cognitive and pulmonary systems) to not believe Covid is impacting people's long term health.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Don't really know, TooTall, but I have read about too many younger people with blood clots and heart issues AFTER covid to believe they are all unrelated. And, I have had very trusted doctors in my local area of N. AL and from UAB say that this virus is definitely difficult on many people's cardiovascular system (as well as cognitive and pulmonary systems) to not believe Covid is impacting people's long term health.

there definitely can be heart issues after Covid, just like there can be heart issues after the flu. but according to the Dr. Ackerman from the Mayo clinic, that is not a reason, on its own, to not play. Also, the protocols I have seen call for extensive heart work up if you test positive before you can return

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
there definitely can be heart issues after Covid, just like there can be heart issues after the flu. but according to the Dr. Ackerman from the Mayo clinic, that is not a reason, on its own, to not play. Also, the protocols I have seen call for extensive heart work up if you test positive before you can return

Not getting into that decision - I will not pretend to have enough knowledge to make that call. Like I said, it will be liability risk (possible law suits) vs. $$ reward/gain I am sure. I definitely agree keeping the players in their structured environment is safer for them. (games, well that is is someone else's call)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is why the Pac-12 & B10 presidents agreed to postpone the season. This is too much to ask of student athletes. Disagree with me if you must, but heart issues are serious at any age.

Deleted member 2897

Fake news. Get out there and play snowflake!
<sarcastic *** hole rant off>
I hope we can get some football but I sincerely hope that no players are affected long term or worse case, passes away. It’s just a game and it should be treated as such.

As a reminder, 70% of patients studied in Germany who had gotten COVID-19 showed heart problems afterwards. And these were 45-55 year olds, not young athletes. Someone mentioned the Russian Roulette analogy earlier. If you have a revolver that holds 1000 bullets, that's probably a great analogy. The vast vast majority are fine, with most that age not even getting sick in the first place. But there is that 1000th bullet. Its a weird dynamic right now, with many other health issues like CTE being better known and definitively worse on football players. Its almost like its so well known everybody is okay with the risk because they can see it, but something that is magnitudes less dangerous but magnitudes less well known has got them hung up. But not hung up enough to stop tens of thousands of students from coming back on campuses in most cases. 🤷‍♂️