The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Deleted member 2897

I really hope those schools in NC don't mess up our football season.

It’s really a tough situation right now - the virus is so impotent to that age group that everyone is walking around having a good time. So they have no idea they have it and keep spreading it. Before you know it, 100 kids have it. At some point we just have to hope people will wake up and realize it for what it is.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Even if you abhor The Nation's politics, this is worth reading. In today's world nothing is completely free of politics, but this is pretty close. The writer acknowledges the high cost of canceling the season. I did not realize how much traction Justin Fields had gotten with his #WeWantToPlay hashtag,

Dr. Michael Ackerman has had an outsized impact on the decisions made by the ACC, SEC, and B12. This link does a decent job talking about that.

If you think the lawyers are not circling around like vultures, then you aren't paying attention. If a coach or player dies from COVID sohungry lawyers are going after everyone with money who has ever said "Let em Play."

Deleted member 2897

Even if you abhor The Nation's politics, this is worth reading. In today's world nothing is completely free of politics, but this is pretty close. The writer acknowledges the high cost of canceling the season. I did not realize how much traction Justin Fields had gotten with his #WeWantToPlay hashtag,

Dr. Michael Ackerman has had an outsized impact on the decisions made by the ACC, SEC, and B12. This link does a decent job talking about that.

If you think the lawyers are not circling around like vultures, then you aren't paying attention. If a coach or player dies from COVID sohungry lawyers are going after everyone with money who has ever said "Let em Play."

My wife and I have marveled for months That we are not seeing lawyer commercials around suing about Covid. Could it be they’re actually smart enough to know you could never prove where someone got it?

herb

Helluva Engineer

The Washington Post is totally neutral in this and has no ax to grind. I mean their neutral headlines like "The South won't give up on college football. Even if it kills us" scream impartiality. https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/08/15/ncaa-football-coronavirus-south/

Deleted member 2897

The Washington Post is totally neutral in this and has no ax to grind. I mean their neutral headlines like "The South won't give up on college football. Even if it kills us" scream impartiality. https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/08/15/ncaa-football-coronavirus-south/

So far, Out of the several hundred football players nationwide who have tested positive, only a couple have gotten pretty sick. One is that offensive lineman in Indiana. They haven’t sued anybody. Their family states the school did all it could - they have no idea where he got it. Nobody’s suing the colleges for letting them play when a high majority end up with CTE. I think this whole lawsuit thing is overblown, but it definitely has the non-football university leaders up at night.

Deleted member 2897

That’s probably because the largest other announcement so far is 20,000 fans. They want to try and get the attendance national championship along with the Fulmer cup national championship, pre-season game attendance national championship, recruit rankings national championship, and pre-season ranking national championship. Eyes on the prize.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So far, Out of the several hundred football players nationwide who have tested positive, only a couple have gotten pretty sick. One is that offensive lineman in Indiana. They haven’t sued anybody. Their family states the school did all it could - they have no idea where he got it. Nobody’s suing the colleges for letting them play when a high majority end up with CTE. I think this whole lawsuit thing is overblown, but it definitely has the non-football university leaders up at night.
There have been plenty of lawsuits related to CTE at the college and professional level.

Deleted member 2897

There have been plenty of lawsuits related to CTE at the college and professional level.

And the irony is the NCAAs position has been (re: CTE) that because players knew the dangers of playing a contact sport, it isn’t liable for their injury and/or death. Interesting isn't it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There are going to be some really REALLY PO'd mutts

A coworker of mine just got his email. He is royally ticked. From the article on the AJC:

"Leading donors will be able to buy tickets to all four of the home games. According to a chart included on the email, this is how it will break down:

• Silver Circle members (who have donated $1 million or more over the years) and Magill Society members who have donated $250,000 or more will get four tickets for all four games.
  • Magill members who have given between $25,000 and $249,000 and Hartman Fund members who have given more than $5,000 will get four seats for two games.
  • All donors below the $5,000 mark will be eligible for four seats to one game.
Depending on how many donors decide to opt in, some of the season-ticket holders might not be accommodated. Donors will have one week to respond, or by Aug. 26."

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
And the irony is the NCAAs position has been (re: CTE) that because players knew the dangers of playing a contact sport, it isn’t liable for their injury and/or death. Interesting isn't it.
The NCAA shelled out over 70 million dollars to settle football related head injury lawsuits in 2014 and has settled individual cases outside of that since then. If that is their official position, it doesn't seem worth it to them to fight it out in court.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

No doubt that WaPo is one of the most biased newspapers in the country, and that is saying a LOT. But, in this case, I kind of agree that here in the "South", many believe college football is more important than anything else. It will be interesting to see if there are any covid cases linked to Myocarditus or other possible long term health issues, if the risk was worth the reward.

I definitely believe the players themselves are safer in a structured (with accountability) environment, but not sure the games themselves are necessary. With that said, I am a fan, so if they play, I will watch, as long as I don't see the silly stuff coming out of the pro sports.

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
A coworker of mine just got his email. He is royally ticked. From the article on the AJC:

"Leading donors will be able to buy tickets to all four of the home games. According to a chart included on the email, this is how it will break down:

• Silver Circle members (who have donated $1 million or more over the years) and Magill Society members who have donated $250,000 or more will get four tickets for all four games.
  • Magill members who have given between $25,000 and $249,000 and Hartman Fund members who have given more than $5,000 will get four seats for two games.
Depending on how many donors decide to opt in, some of the season-ticket holders might not be accommodated. Donors will have one week to respond, or by Aug. 26."
yikes

Deleted member 2897

Please don't throw tomatoes, but how else would you prioritize which season ticket holders get tickets? A regular lottery among all the ticket holders, or should you start with those with the most giving and points and work your way down? To me, doing it this way under these circumstances seems a better more equitable method than a lottery or something random.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Accepting the accuracy of this is also accepting the fact that neither football player or fan safety is a primary concern for uGA or the SEC. There is just so much money involved. Except for Clemson, who in the ACC comes close? ND is not really an ACC school.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Please don't throw tomatoes, but how else would you prioritize which season ticket holders get tickets? A regular lottery among all the ticket holders, or should you start with those with the most giving and points and work your way down? To me, doing it this way under these circumstances seems a better more equitable method than a lottery or something random.
Couldn't agree more. Capitalism at it's purest, if you wanna go to the game pony up the $$