The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

herb

Helluva Engineer
This is not 100% correct. At his COVID update last week he emphasized that he is a UNC grad and loyal football fan. He wants football to be played. When asked if he would attend a game right now he responded that he is for too busy to attend a game.

NC is more of a football state than is widely understood. If the governor does something that keeps the six D1 schools from playing he would face serious push-backs. Remember, he is up for re-election this year. What he might do that would affect attendance is keep NC in Phase 2 of our reopening plan. Oddly, these outbreaks at UNC and other NC colleges hurt the chances of football just at the time when our COVID numbers are beginning to look pretty good. It would be sad if that also killed the football season in NC.

To say there is no pressure on football to cancel at Carolina is simply wrong.

I think you are both saying the same thing

GT_EE78

Banned
AP/UPI might not be updating polls but CBS has a new top 25 and power rankings for the 76 real teams.
GT opened at 57.
Top10- ACC-2,B12-2, SEC-the rest
Top25- includes 7 of our 11 opponents
Note- link to 26 to 76 at bottom of article
7 of our 11 opponents are ranked LOL. It just means more.
given that FSU/UCF are ranked,winning our first two could get us included. I'm not going to hold my breath.
looks like former doormat UTEP could open the Bottom25 at #1

Deleted member 2897

As we have been saying on here for a long time - a small study in Germany of regular 45 year olds is all but useless when assessing risk of super fit And healthy college athletes. Thank God other doctors have been speaking up to call it for what it is. Hopefully nobody will present them with 20% mortality numbers from people over 80.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yyyyyyup! This board called this dynamic a long time ago. If you want football players to be healthy and COVID-free, by far the biggest risk is regular college activities and not football itself. I would think it wouldn't be fun to bubble themselves, but at the same time they are certainly set up to be able to do that with their own dining halls, rooming with teammates, and so on. I bet they would be happy to sacrifice for one semester like that to help keep football going.

Absolutely. Not having most students on campus would make it alot less likely the SA's would be infected.

GT_EE78

Banned
Ok 57 lets look
SEC 14 teams
Big12 10 teams
ACC with ND 15 teams

For a Total 39 teams and we are number 57 out of 39 teams must be some kind of math you learn from an SEC school.
nooo 76 teams 39 are P5, remainder are the other playing FBS conferences

Deleted member 2897

Swine flu death toll was 12,469. Not the same.

Well my post included both the swine flu estimates (its all an estimate since the CDC shut down testing for it) and the regular flu - ie, total flu hospitalizations and deaths that year. Of note, 80% of the deaths of the flu are from those under age 65 - the polar opposite of COVID.

Deleted member 2897

Ok 57 lets look
SEC 14 teams
Big12 10 teams
ACC with ND 15 teams

For a Total 39 teams and we are number 57 out of 39 teams must be some kind of math you learn from an SEC school.

I think his post didn't include just 3 conferences - it included all the teams who are currently still playing in FBS.

herb

Helluva Engineer
So 17 teams that are not P5 schools are better ? Charlotte, Army, W kentucky, Arkansas State, and Marshall I can't believe that crap

Read it and weep :ROFLMAO::rolleyes: : 13 Cincinnati 14 Memphis 15 UCF 25 App St 26 SMU 31 Navy 35 Houston 38 Tulant 39 La Tech 40 BYU 42 UAB 43 Louisiana 44 Temple 45 FAU 48 Marshall 49 So Miss 52 Ga Southern 53 Ark St 54 W Kentucky 55 Army 56 Charlotte

BTW Ga State is 59

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The CDC ordered all swine flu tests stopped once it was declared a pandemic. So we have no idea how many cases there were, but estimates are 50-70 million. Never once did the topic of halting sports or college ever come up. The swine flu was no COVID, but combined with the regular flu there were several hundred thousand hospitalizations and 50-70,000 deaths in 1 year. Nobody batted an eye.

This is not really a full picture of Swine flu and the differences in that pandemic vs the current one.
The first difference is that by May 2009 the CDC had already issued recommendations of influenza antivirals to help with Swine flu. The second difference is that by Oct 2009 the first doses of Swine flu vaccine were already being administered and would be used in future flu vaccines since it was a type of flu, not a SARS type illness like COVID. Also, the Swine flu peaked in the US in May-June 2009 and was considered over as a pandemic in Aug 2010 by the WHO.

The CDC also did, just like they do for the flu and other diseases, calculate the outcomes. The final estimates for the US are
Infections - 60.8M
Hospitalizations - 274,304
Deaths - 12,469 (roughly 2/3 in the 18-64 age range)
In the end it was a known pathogen - just a new version of the H1N1 flu - that had a very low mortality rate. (about 0.02%) and that they were very quickly able to create antivirals and vaccines for. There were some limited local closures in 2009, but nothing like what we have seen this year.

Compare those numbers to the current known US COVID numbers
Infections - 5.4M
Hospitalizations 348,961 as of Aug 17
Deaths - 171,120 as of Aug 18

On a Worldwide scale it is estimated to have killed up to 284,000 people worldwide, mostly in SE Asia and Africa.
Swine flu ended up being a highly infectious, but very low mortality rate disease (0.03% vs 0.3-.06% IFR for COVID). With an extremely low IFR and a vaccine available by fall there was no need to engage in the types of measures that we are engaging in worldwide for COVID. They didn't need to bat an eye because it wasn't going to be ongoing and it wasn't going to kill very many people. Hospitals weren't being overrun and they had medicines and vaccines to fight it. Other than being called a pandemic there are not alot of similarities to the Swine Flu and COVID in the US.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
As we have been saying on here for a long time - a small study in Germany of regular 45 year olds is all but useless when assessing risk of super fit And healthy college athletes. Thank God other doctors have been speaking up to call it for what it is. Hopefully nobody will present them with 20% mortality numbers from people over 80.
The presidents of the Big 10 have heard something from doctors that you personally haven't heard and that combined with other factors lead them to the decision that it is better and safer to wait until the spring to hold an extracurricular activity for their students. As someone who has previously argued that schools should be allowed to make their own decisions in regard to virus related safety, I'm still confused as to why this one bothers you so much. Get over it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Read it and weep :ROFLMAO::rolleyes: : 13 Cincinnati 14 Memphis 15 UCF 25 App St 26 SMU 31 Navy 35 Houston 38 Tulant 39 La Tech 40 BYU 42 UAB 43 Louisiana 44 Temple 45 FAU 48 Marshall 49 So Miss 52 Ga Southern 53 Ark St 54 W Kentucky 55 Army 56 Charlotte

BTW Ga State is 59
I call bullsh*t if we can't do better than that we need to stop playing football. I have to believe we have better players than those teams

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The presidents of the Big 10 have heard something from doctors that you personally haven't heard and that combined with other factors lead them to the decision that it is better and safer to wait until the spring to hold an extracurricular activity for their students. As someone who has previously argued that schools should be allowed to make their own decisions in regard to virus related safety, I'm still confused as to why this one bothers you so much. Get over it.
And the Big12 heard something that the Big 10 didn't hear. And yes the schools should be able to play if they want to play. But when you signed your rights away I would guess you really have no say you do what the conference tells you to do.

Deleted member 2897

This is not really a full picture of Swine flu and the differences in that pandemic vs the current one.
The first difference is that by May 2009 the CDC had already issued recommendations of influenza antivirals to help with Swine flu. The second difference is that by Oct 2009 the first doses of Swine flu vaccine were already being administered and would be used in future flu vaccines since it was a type of flu, not a SARS type illness like COVID. Also, the Swine flu peaked in the US in May-June 2009 and was considered over as a pandemic in Aug 2010 by the WHO.

The CDC also did, just like they do for the flu and other diseases, calculate the outcomes. The final estimates for the US are
Infections - 60.8M
Hospitalizations - 274,304
Deaths - 12,469 (roughly 2/3 in the 18-64 age range)
In the end it was a known pathogen - just a new version of the H1N1 flu - that had a very low mortality rate. (about 0.02%) and that they were very quickly able to create antivirals and vaccines for. There were some limited local closures in 2009, but nothing like what we have seen this year.

Compare those numbers to the current known US COVID numbers
Infections - 5.4M
Hospitalizations 348,961 as of Aug 17
Deaths - 171,120 as of Aug 18

On a Worldwide scale it is estimated to have killed up to 284,000 people worldwide, mostly in SE Asia and Africa.
Swine flu ended up being a highly infectious, but very low mortality rate disease (0.03% vs 0.3-.06% IFR for COVID). With an extremely low IFR and a vaccine available by fall there was no need to engage in the types of measures that we are engaging in worldwide for COVID. They didn't need to bat an eye because it wasn't going to be ongoing and it wasn't going to kill very many people. Hospitals weren't being overrun and they had medicines and vaccines to fight it. Other than being called a pandemic there are not alot of similarities to the Swine Flu and COVID in the US.

I agree, comparing the swine flu to COVID is kind of a waste of time. That’s why I included both it and the regular flu. It’s still a bit of a stretch to do that. But the point is in the same period of time, both flus killed half as much. Several hundred thousand went to the hospital. 80% of those who died were under 65 - the opposite of COVID. It was more deadly and almost always is for younger people than COVID is. And nobody even leaned over to fart about it.

GT_EE78

Banned
is it a secret?