The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Deleted member 2897

What would happen to the ACC if one president decided to shut down fall sports due to safety of the players. Duke pulled the plug on the basketball tournament last year. It could really upend the schedules if it happened mid season. Would they be forced to forfeit.

We could play Ohio State and Michigan!

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
So, I just saw that UNC had 130 reported CoViD19 cases in the first week and have gone fully virtual for the rest of the semester. That didn't take long. This may be the death knell to the season.
College kids partying, no masks, and no social distancing. It shouldn't effect sports (if we can test the players) but you're right it probably will.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
College kids partying, no masks, and no social distancing. It shouldn't effect sports (if we can test the players) but you're right it probably will.
On the flip side, I've been thinking about this. Going fully online may be of benefit to fall sports. Without in-person classes, it may be easier for the coaches and administration to keep the student-athletes segregated from the general student body on campus.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the day, college sports is tough to get on track because college SAs are still students and have to break the "bubble" with classes and normal every day life (getting groceries, going to the bank, etc.). Football players can force themselves into a bubble. Hopefully colleges can figure something out:

Deleted member 2897

At the end of the day, college sports is tough to get on track because college SAs are still students and have to break the "bubble" with classes and normal every day life (getting groceries, going to the bank, etc.). Football players can force themselves into a bubble. Hopefully colleges can figure something out:

Yyyyyyup! This board called this dynamic a long time ago. If you want football players to be healthy and COVID-free, by far the biggest risk is regular college activities and not football itself. I would think it wouldn't be fun to bubble themselves, but at the same time they are certainly set up to be able to do that with their own dining halls, rooming with teammates, and so on. I bet they would be happy to sacrifice for one semester like that to help keep football going.

Deleted member 2897

Ya honestly this would help fall sports more than hurt it.

Exactly. The biggest threat to the football season is football players getting COVID. The biggest chance of getting COVID is regular school social activities, not football. The less people around and the less people congregating, the better for having a football season.

GT_EE78

Banned

Deleted member 2897

AP/UPI might not be updating polls but CBS has a new top 25 and power rankings for the 76 real teams.
GT opened at 57.
Top10- ACC-2,B12-2, SEC-the rest
Top25- includes 7 of our 11 opponents
Note- link to 26 to 76 at bottom of article

7 of our 11 opponents are ranked LOL. It just means more.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What would happen to the ACC if one president decided to shut down fall sports due to safety of the players. Duke pulled the plug on the basketball tournament last year. It could really upend the schedules if it happened mid season. Would they be forced to forfeit.

As much as I want to see football this year. I just can't see how the ACC is going to end up playing.

The ACC has been taking a wait-and-see approach, but at some point, the ACC is going to have to have a go/no go vote. Unless it's a unanimous 'yes', I don't see how the teams that vote 'No' can justify playing; even if they're outvoted.

The whole discussion has become heavily politicized and a microcosm for the political divide in the country. 2/3s of the ACC schools are in states with Democrat governors. The political/career liability to the university presidents in those states is just too high for them to stick their necks out for a season of football. (vs. most SEC states where voting 'no' would be political/career suicide.)

Even if the ACC votes to play, every state has travel, quarantine and/or public gathering restrictions that could be enforced to prohibit playing football. I have to think at least some of the governors would flex political muscle to shut it down. e.g. even if 'cuse votes to play, is Cuomo in NY really going to give GT an exemption from the 14 day quarantine to travel and play in NY? (I know the Braves have, but pro-sports is literally a different ball game.

Deleted member 2897

As much as I want to see football this year. I just can't see how the ACC is going to end up playing.

The ACC has been taking a wait-and-see approach, but at some point, the ACC is going to have to have a go/no go vote. Unless it's a unanimous 'yes', I don't see how the teams that vote 'No' can justify playing; even if they're outvoted.

The whole discussion has become heavily politicized and a microcosm for the political divide in the country. 2/3s of the ACC schools are in states with Democrat governors. The political/career liability to the university presidents in those states is just too high for them to stick their necks out for a season of football. (vs. most SEC states where voting 'no' would be political/career suicide.)

Even if the ACC votes to play, every state has travel, quarantine and/or public gathering restrictions that could be enforced to prohibit playing football. I have to think at least some of the governors would flex political muscle to shut it down. e.g. even if 'cuse votes to play, is Cuomo in NY really going to give GT an exemption from the 14 day quarantine to travel and play in NY? (I know the Braves have, but pro-sports is literally a different ball game.

**** em then. If Syracuse and others don’t want to play, then don’t. Boston College is approaching 2,000 tests of its athletes with 1 positive. If they don’t want to play, I mean...

I think e best thing is to just play. If one school wants to cancel because they had an outbreak or whatever, you have an open weekend. You may only play 8 games or 4 or who knows. Schools with open weekends can try to schedule each other on the fly. New cases in the country are falling rapidly in many areas.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

The Dem. governor of NC isn’t going to stand in the way of college football. He will weigh in on fan attendance I’m sure but can’t see him stopping the season.

Deleted member 2897

The CDC ordered all swine flu tests stopped once it was declared a pandemic. So we have no idea how many cases there were, but estimates are 50-70 million. Never once did the topic of halting sports or college ever come up. The swine flu was no COVID, but combined with the regular flu there were several hundred thousand hospitalizations and 50-70,000 deaths in 1 year. Nobody batted an eye.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The Dem. governor of NC isn’t going to stand in the way of college football. He will weigh in on fan attendance I’m sure but can’t see him stopping the season.

This is not 100% correct. At his COVID update last week he emphasized that he is a UNC grad and loyal football fan. He wants football to be played. When asked if he would attend a game right now he responded that he is for too busy to attend a game.

NC is more of a football state than is widely understood. If the governor does something that keeps the six D1 schools from playing he would face serious push-backs. Remember, he is up for re-election this year. What he might do that would affect attendance is keep NC in Phase 2 of our reopening plan. Oddly, these outbreaks at UNC and other NC colleges hurt the chances of football just at the time when our COVID numbers are beginning to look pretty good. It would be sad if that also killed the football season in NC.

To say there is no pressure on football to cancel at Carolina is simply wrong.