Tennessee Game 1

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Thought yall might get a kick out of this. Just a warning it's close to every dumb thing we've heard about the option in own article. http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...-show-flaws-georgia-techs-flexbone/544692001/

Did you know the best way to beat the option is to be up 2 scores? Worthy of a John Madden quote.
But I'm sure they did a lot of research to back this up. I'm sure that they find out that CPJ teams have never come back when down by two scores. I'm sure they know that especially against SEC teams with SEC speed that it could never happen. Just look at the mutt game last year, proof that an option team cannot come back when down by two scores.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thought yall might get a kick out of this. Just a warning it's close to every dumb thing we've heard about the option in own article. http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sport...-show-flaws-georgia-techs-flexbone/544692001/

Did you know the best way to beat the option is to be up 2 scores? Worthy of a John Madden quote.
"One of the saddest sights in football is an option-oriented offense struggling to mount a comeback in the final minutes of a game. Pass-oriented offenses can blaze down the field in seconds. Option-oriented offenses need time. They don’t need a lot of third-and-longs."

What a dumbarse.

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
What a dumbarse.

haha! Exactly! John Adams is a piece of work. I've stopped paying any attention to him as he is too sarcastic and dry humored that can't often be picked up in his writing style. But having heard him speak, I can insert his tone on the occasion I read anything he writes. That being said, he still sounds like a dumbarse in this article.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
"One of the saddest sights in football is an option-oriented offense struggling to mount a comeback in the final minutes of a game. Pass-oriented offenses can blaze down the field in seconds. Option-oriented offenses need time. They don’t need a lot of third-and-longs."

What a dumbarse.

'Cause every offense looooves 3rd 'n longs, amirite?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

What a dumbarse.

Down 9 vs FSU in ACC Championship, under 3 minutes left, and pinned on our own 3 yard line...yet we still rolled down the field in 1 minute to score a TD. We may not have won the game, but we put up a hell of a fight against a team headed to the playoffs (and if we won the onside kickoff, there was no way they were going to keep us out of the end zone). The legitimate threat of a game breaking run at any time makes the DBs have a split second of hesitation, even in the 2 minute drills, which helps open up the passing game in these situations.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

Down 9 vs FSU in ACC Championship, under 3 minutes left, and pinned on our own 3 yard line...yet we still rolled down the field in 1 minute to score a TD. We may not have won the game, but we put up a hell of a fight against a team headed to the playoffs (and if we won the onside kickoff, there was no way they were going to keep us out of the end zone). The legitimate threat of a game breaking run at any time makes the DBs have a split second of hesitation, even in the 2 minute drills, which helps open up the passing game in these situations.

Get that damn stop on 3rd and 7 with a min left I think we win off a HB field goal...

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
247: After Miami tenure, Scott familiar with Georgia Tech's defense
"For me, being on the offensive side, I had a chance to face it three years at Miami," first-year offensive coordinator Larry Scott said last week. "So I have a good feel for how we want to play the game year in and year out against them, given that they were an ACC Coastal foe.

"That was an important game for us each year."

Scott was tight ends coach at Miami from 2013-15 and served as interim-head coach for the final six games of the 2015 season. Miami won two of the three meetings against Tech with Scott on staff.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking of the "where's the sting" game as a nice kick in the teeth to his arguments.

Although, I do wonder if there's anything at all to the argument. You could collect data on us and other option teams over a long time and evaluate this.

But just as the other claims (cut blocks cause injuries left and right, we get away with chops all the time, etc.) no one ever has.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Being the OC and TE coach I guess we will see 10 or more passes to the TE . :banghead:

"As Scott explained it, the preparation for Georgia Tech won't include a unique game plan. Get the football in the hands of your best football players. Let those players make plays."

Wow that's really profound and just game breaking football philosophy there.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking of the "where's the sting" game as a nice kick in the teeth to his arguments.

Although, I do wonder if there's anything at all to the argument. You could collect data on us and other option teams over a long time and evaluate this.

But just as the other claims (cut blocks cause injuries left and right, we get away with chops all the time, etc.) no one ever has.

2016 COFH comes to mind too. At our own 4 down 13 with under 9 minutes to go. Anybody want to remind Kirby Smart how that turned out?