Tennessee Game 1

Deleted member 2897

Looks like practicing all the cut blocks to prepare for Georgia Tech has gotten their own players injured everywhere. See how dangerous it is?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Why does this game feel so much to me like when we opened in 1991 in the Meadowlands against Penn State? We had just won the national championship the year before and GT fans were optimistic about our program having "made it" back into elite status. There was a lot of confidence going into the game. It was much hyped opener against a "name" school in prime time on national TV. Then Penn State beats us like a rug and we spiraled down into a typical GT season...7-5 (iirc).

Sure hope I'm wrong.

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Why does this game feel so much to me like when we opened in 1991 in the Meadowlands against Penn State? We had just won the national championship the year before and GT fans were optimistic about our program having "made it" back into elite status. There was a lot of confidence going into the game. It was much hyped opener against a "name" school in prime time on national TV. Then Penn State beats us like a rug and we spiraled down into a typical GT season...7-5 (iirc).

Sure hope I'm wrong.

I think everyone feels pretty good about last season, especially after a 3-9 season and a victory against UGA. However, I don't see how you could compare last year's 9-4 season (which featured a couple ugly losses and narrow wins) to a national championship year.

If anything, I would say the Notre Dame game in 2015 had a similar feeling to the 1991 PSU game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Sure hope I'm wrong.

I don't get the sense that we're over-confident like we (I think) were in '91 (although it was for good reason. I mean, we had just won the title.)

Yeah, I think you're just a little nervous. Not nervous on a level like TN d-linemen anticipating the cutchop bloks but nervous nonetheless. Shiii, TN is so shook about cutchop bloks, their o-linemen are getting hurt.

#BOWK
#Tenneknees

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I feel good about our players and the possibilities for 2017. I am not betting the house on a national championship. Anything less than 8 wins in regular season would not feel good.

Last season started with a team that was 3 and 9. The 7 games had some solids wins, close losses and 2 bad losses. UNC pounded on GT, GT Pounded on VT, GT escaped from Duke and Virginia, came from behind on UGA, and took UK to the wood shed. The team that played UK was way better than the team that lost 3 and 9, and even better than the 8 and 4 team of 2016.

The 2018 schedule is tougher, no doubt. And, no JT. But, I think the team is better... baring injury.

I think everyone feels pretty good about last season, especially after a 3-9 season and a victory against UGA. However, I don't see how you could compare last year's 9-4 season (which featured a couple ugly losses and narrow wins) to a national championship year.

If anything, I would say the Notre Dame game in 2015 had a similar feeling to the 1991 PSU game.
Probably because of the Penn State 1991 and ND 2015 games, this game has a completely different vibe for me. Cautiously optimistic. Win or lose, we'll know more about the kind of team we have after we play. As another contributor has aptly stated, if we don't bring our A game, we can lose every Saturday. But we should bring our A game. Big Stage, sold out, big time opponent that we have a lot of history with. I think we will be ready, and I think we will play well and have a good chance of winning, even dominating. To me, this feels more like the walk up to the Orange Bowl against Miss State. And that went well.

I feel good about our players and the possibilities for 2017. I am not betting the house on a national championship. Anything less than 8 wins in regular season would not feel good.

Last season started with a team that was 3 and 9. The 7 games had some solids wins, close losses and 2 bad losses. UNC pounded on GT, GT Pounded on VT, GT escaped from Duke and Virginia, came from behind on UGA, and took UK to the wood shed. The team that played UK was way better than the team that lost 3 and 9, and even better than the 8 and 4 team of 2016.

The 2018 schedule is tougher, no doubt. And, no JT. But, I think the team is better... baring injury.
Improving over the course of the season is important and last year we did that. Winning 17 games across two years is nothing to sneeze at, especially given our schedule, but I am hoping for another nine win season.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I can't help wonder how many season tix packages were purchased by mutt fans to get cheap tix for Nov 25 and how many will sell their TN game tix on the secondary market.

So far there are only a few hundred tickets in the sections such people would have gotten for sale on stub hub. I don't know where to find good numbers, but I think in the AJC a few years ago the number of season tickets, not counting student tickets, was around 21-25k. If it is 23k and 1/2 of those requested extra tickets, that would exceed the 35k that GT had. I would think many of the mutt fans would buy the three packs instead of full season tickets, or wait until the people in the club section sell their tickets on stub hub. I don't think many TN fans bought GT season tickets for that game because they had issues selling all of the tickets their athletic department received.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
So far there are only a few hundred tickets in the sections such people would have gotten for sale on stub hub. I don't know where to find good numbers, but I think in the AJC a few years ago the number of season tickets, not counting student tickets, was around 21-25k. If it is 23k and 1/2 of those requested extra tickets, that would exceed the 35k that GT had. I would think many of the mutt fans would buy the three packs instead of full season tickets, or wait until the people in the club section sell their tickets on stub hub. I don't think many TN fans bought GT season tickets for that game because they had issues selling all of the tickets their athletic department received.

You could not secure Tech/TN tickets at renewal in excess of the # of season tickets you were purchasing. I was told that should there be any excess tickets available they would be offered up to season ticket holder based on your A/T level.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You could not secure Tech/TN tickets at renewal in excess of the # of season tickets you were purchasing. I was told that should there be any excess tickets available they would be offered up to season ticket holder based on your A/T level.

You could request tickets when purchasing season tickets. I requested four. In July, they sent an email that my AT level was able to purchase extras, and I purchased 4. GT was required to sell 30k, and then requested 5k more. Maybe I am too optimistic, but I don't think that the reason GT sold 35k tickets is because thousands of mutt fans bought season tickets.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
You could request tickets when purchasing season tickets. I requested four. In July, they sent an email that my AT level was able to purchase extras, and I purchased 4. GT was required to sell 30k, and then requested 5k more. Maybe I am too optimistic, but I don't think that the reason GT sold 35k tickets is because thousands of mutt fans bought season tickets.

Oh I agree with you. But I think Tech did much better than 23K in season tickets sales to Tech fans. The announcements from GTAA were indicative of a good increase in season tickets sales.

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
The linked hype workout video in that article shows some hard working...creamsicles :yawn:

Those are fighting words right there! LOL. I'm kinda glad that article put that out there. Whether it's accurate or not, Vols players have been called out and I'd expect any football player being called sofT (tuh), is going to be motivated to be considered anything but.