Tennessee Depth Chart

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Watch last year's games and late 2014 and u will see Sham is effective especially 3 rd quarter on. When he down blocks the whole is massive.
Yea it would be great if he could have the stamina to play the whole game, but when he is in he is a force.
This year when we go big and slide Will to tackle and then go strong line right , his massive presence demands that some defender be near him. In 15 they seldom placed a defender over him. They would grab our center and we could not get to the lb.

Imo Our strength is our line play and Sham is a big part of that.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think coach was meaning that Harvin would be the most 'impactful' of the freshmen....not the only one to get to play.

Would have to go back and listen but my recollection is that after his comments on Harvin he said he wasn't sure any of the rest would play. I thought that interesting also because Andy tried to throw in redshirt freshmen (e.g. QBs) to the question but I'm not sure CPJ acknowledged that part.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Would have to go back and listen but my recollection is that after his comments on Harvin he said he wasn't sure any of the rest would play. I thought that interesting also because Andy tried to throw in redshirt freshmen (e.g. QBs) to the question but I'm not sure CPJ acknowledged that part.

Well, CPJ hasn't really acknowledged QBs at all this summer...so...

It's funny, because the guy asking him about QBs today in his weekly media session I believe isn't a local writer, so he probably didn't care about the gentleman's agreement (wink, wink) not to ask CPJ about QBs. CPJ seemed a little taken aback by someone asking him. LOL.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The offense is what I think everyone thought it would be. No real surprises. The defense has me scratching my head with Simmons coming off the bench and KeShun starting. I would have though Simmons and Saint-Amour would be starters opposite each other with how well Simmons played last year and the praise Saint-Amour was getting in camp and how lackluster KeShun has played the last two years. The freshmen on the second string has me worried because if a true freshman shoots up the depth chart, especially at a place like Tech where we like to redshirt guys, it means they tore it up in camp or that you have no depth at those positions. I hadn't heard anything about those guys during the offseason (I may have missed it because I can't keep up with everything that comes out) so I'm guessing we're really hurting for depth. Hopefully the starters stay healthy on that side and getting Curry back should help with the LBs by the time conference play starts. Also its interesting that Roof is outside and BJS is the Mike I thought they would be the other way around from what I heard about them as recruits.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Was thinking Roof might grow into a MLB but I wasn't sure he has the size needed as a true frosh. I though BJS was pretty big but his weight is listed at 209 and Roof is listed at 205.....so I guess I don't know squat...per usual.

BM is probably our biggest LB and he's not huge. But I think we tend to put bigger guys in the middle and let smaller thumpers work the OLB spots.

Which LB spot requires the best wheels in yalls' opinions?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Freeman being listed as a starter may be kinda like last year when Francis Kallon was listed as a starter at DT at the start of the year

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I removed the personal attacks and, unfortunately, some great replies from those who meant well.

Please keep the discussion civil without drive-by posts that simply attack our players. Thanks.

For what it's worth, I am encouraged/proud about our community here and GT fans in general based on many of the now deleted replies, all of which were certainly more eloquent than this one.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not surprised Freeman is the starter. He has been the most focused on D lineman the past 3 seasons for us by other teams. He is basically like a CB who everyone knows not to throw to his side of the field. He collects more double teams than anyone else.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not surprised Freeman is the starter. He has been the most focused on D lineman the past 3 seasons for us by other teams. He is basically like a CB who everyone knows not to throw to his side of the field. He collects more double teams than anyone else.

Exactly! I'd play with 11 KF's any day of the week and twice on Sunday. One of the finest student athletes at GT.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That's it alright. One of the reasons I hope we get a good year out of Branch is that, if we have an interior rush, opposing OLs won't be able to double up Freeman so much. He has been picked on unmercifully since his frosh year and for good reason. When he gets the usual treatment, he's our best DL. Most opposing DCs know that and gang up on him no end. We'll see how this works out directly.

Watch last year's games and late 2014 and u will see Sham is effective especially 3 rd quarter on. When he down blocks the whole is massive.
Yea it would be great if he could have the stamina to play the whole game, but when he is in he is a force.
This year when we go big and slide Will to tackle and then go strong line right , his massive presence demands that some defender be near him. In 15 they seldom placed a defender over him. They would grab our center and we could not get to the lb.

Imo Our strength is our line play and Sham is a big part of that.

I imagine it is unsettling for a defensive lineman to see Will Bryan go out, but the #2 guy weighs 380 lbs. and can block.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i hope we take 5 OL this year, and I believe that is the plan/target??? Really, we always seem to be one injury away on OL. Getting Marshall back will help alot though, especially with flexibility.

Not sure why LB is so thin. I mean, what is going on with recruiting there, I haven't followed LB closely, but its clear the guys we recruited the last 4 years have not panned out enough or developed; we haven't done a good job evaluating....true freshman are jumping them. (and they should, because what you see is some guys are not P5 starters).

TD Roof won't get daddy treatment. He is a bit undersized, small but he will earn his spot. In fact, IMO he will have to earn more than another kid because of the impressions.

I like the secondary alot, but I am convinced J Johnson should split 50/50 time with the other austin. He is a better matchup for TE in 4-2-5. I like what he can do there.

Lynch on the depth chart usually means he will probably play right?