Temple Post Game

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
To be fair, and there is no bigger PJ fan than me, he was 2-10 his first year at Navy. After that, though...
He had to make some attitude adjustments in the locker room when he got there.
He took over a pretty talented Ga Southern team and took them from 4 wins the previous year to the second round of the playoffs in his first year, all while redshirting the all time career rushing leader in D1 history.

So you are saying we should offer more money to PJ and get him back out of retirement to fix us next year? :LOL: He could do it but I’m pretty sure we can’t afford him now. Seems happy in retirement.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So the first two games of the season we are one of the lowest flagged teams in the country. Then in the Citadel game we suddenly get 3 person foul calls against us, among other flags, and then today we had no personal foul calls.

It really makes me wonder if the refs in the Citadel game were biased against us because it seems a bit shady that we played really great in our other three games as far as flags are concerned, but in Citadel we were flagged several times!

We ripped a players helmet off vs Temple. I’m not sure the message to correct that nonsense got through to everyone.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Temple is a good team. I see people underestimated them.

People want old ornery, throwing kids under the bus, mean spirited press conferences.

I saw a better offense yesterday. I saw the ball move up the field to the red zone numerous times. The team didn’t convert on 3rd down nor did they punch it in at the red zone, but progress was mad. It’s gonna be a tough year. I never thought it wouldn’t be, but to otherwise is just insincere. I saw progress.

The game was closer than the score indicated, to be sure. A fumble on the goal line cost us one TD, and the other fumble they ran in for a score came at a time we were moving the ball. An excellent catch was ruled incomplete at the 5-yard line and apparently not reviewed. That having been said, we're going to have to get better up front, especially pass blocking.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So you are saying we should offer more money to PJ and get him back out of retirement to fix us next year? :LOL: He could do it but I’m pretty sure we can’t afford him now. Seems happy in retirement.

I am of the opinion that Paul knew what he had in the cupboard and that facilitated his decision to jump off the bus, although that is merely an opinion. WTBS, I am sure that he could have scratched out 5-6 wins with this bunch but we forget that most of the GT fan base would have been upset with a 6 win season from a coach who had 10+ years to recruit to that system. We tend to have revisionist history a bit.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Temple is a good team. I see people underestimated them.
Temple is good , based on what ? People love to look at recruiting numbers so lets look. Temple 2015 rated 80 , 2016 rated 59 , 2017 rated 119, 2018 rated 82 while Tech was rated 44 in 2015 60 in 2016 48 in 2017, and 44 in 2018. I don't think they passed that test.

so lets look at their schedule 3 wins , first Bucknell Bison , Buffalo , and they beat Patenaude not sure this is a pass.

Guess you could say they are being better coached than us and I would have a hard time arguing that period.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just about every big rebuild has the potential of being embarrassed one or two seasons unfortunately, Collins has one to two more seasons really to get his full recruiting class in place for his system

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Since you know that when you take the job, shouldn’t handling big losses be part of your job so that you handle the fan reaction?

And what happens when he gets his players and still can’t beat a D1 school?

Sorry. Collins to need to put a product on the field. And not a Twitter Feed.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
The game was closer than the score indicated, to be sure. A fumble on the goal line cost us one TD, and the other fumble they ran in for a score came at a time we were moving the ball. An excellent catch was ruled incomplete at the 5-yard line and apparently not reviewed. That having been said, we're going to have to get better up front, especially pass blocking.

Turnovers is what’s killing the team. Execution at times as well. Like I said I just wanted to see progress. I saw that today.

JG needs more reps. Convert more on 3rd down and stop all the turnovers.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
“Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all-time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”
Vince Lombardi, American Football

Deleted member 2897

Since you know that when you take the job, shouldn’t handling big losses be part of your job so that you handle the fan reaction?

And what happens when he gets his players and still can’t beat a D1 school?

Sorry. Collins to need to put a product on the field. And not a Twitter Feed.

Unfortunately this wasn’t a program rebuild. It was a culture change and an offensive system change. They’ve been coaching these guys for 9 months, but it feels like they just got on campus and nobody knows the plays.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Lots of thoughts - disappointing mostly.

O - For all you Oliver haters after today, he had a bad day, no doubt. He's still a play maker. Remember Graham also through an interception in the end zone and actually fumbled (we recovered) on the 4th down targeting. Graham has skills - just has to learn not to go backwards when pressured and to be more accurate. I'm going to ignore the Cotrell thing - I think too much of him to comment badly. It is sad when you can move the ball and not close the deal. If not for the D, we'd had a donut!

D - other than learning to stop the run better, my biggest complaint about the D is the attitude. I didn't say anything about rewarding K Oliver's behavior against The Citadel with captain, giving him the benefit of the doubt and hoping the coaches have addressed this type of behavior from all the players. However, ripping someone's helmet off on purpose twisting a neck is the kind of thuggery that dah U does. That is NOT my jackets. Get it under control.

I know it will be a REALLY bad year, and I will still go and support them, but not if we turn into thugs. I want to be proud of the MEN we are developing. Yes, it's football, but I have always taken pride in the fact that we develop men and promote teamwork, not just prepare kids for the NFL.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
“Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all-time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”
Vince Lombardi, American Football
There is always next year.
University of Vanderbilt former Head Coach.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Why was that Brown catch at the 5 yard line not reviewed? That was strange to me. Collins just went ahead and punted the ball without a complaint.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why was that Brown catch at the 5 yard line not reviewed? That was strange to me. Collins just went ahead and punted the ball without a complaint.

Agreed. If he called a timeout there he could have challenged the call. He didnt. To me that was as silly as some of his awful bailout timeouts because he is afraid we cant see the playclock. 3 games. 3 times.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. If he called a timeout there he could have challenged the call. He didnt. To me that was as silly as some of his awful bailout timeouts because he is afraid we cant see the playclock. 3 games. 3 times.

Exactly. When you are down 21 and you have a hard time scoring points, you call that TO. That is a prime example of terrible communication between the coaches in the booth and Collins. The catch looked good to me on the replay, but it was close.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. When you are down 21 and you have a hard time scoring points, you call that TO. That is a prime example of terrible communication between the coaches in the booth and Collins. The catch looked good to me on the replay, but it was close.

Without a front side tv angle which we didn’t see it doesnt get overturned. Imo no way. His back was blocking confirmation of possession. But. Still. Call the timeout and let replay find that angle.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

Collins definitely has some Ray Goff (goof) moments that a D1 HC should not have. The whole team, including coaches need to improve what we see on game day if the program is going to be competitive.