Temple Post Game

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
“The Jackets put up a horrendous third-down efficiency number, 2-for-14. But that doesn’t tell the whole story. Of 69 plays not counting a kneel-down to end the first half, 35 of them produced one yard or less.”

1 yd or less.

Maybe we just need the “money down” cheerleaders to jump up and down for the O on 3rd downs also?...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The Temple coach said in the tv post game interview that he wanted to establish a ground game against us. He probably realized that he had a distinct advantage against our DL and our secondary is the strength of our D.

Sure would be nice if we had coaches showing they could do the same.

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, silver linings...

We remain near the top of the NCAA in fewest penalties and no dumb dead ball penalties today. Lot of hot takes about the new culture's affect on penalties last week. Hopefully those folks are as loud this week.

As I said previously we'd have been an underdog at Temple last year. We were certainly bigger dogs this week based on the transition and what we showed so far this year. If we played cleaner with the football, we cover and have a game.

I like what I saw out of the O. I think we are challenged no matter what we try to do if we can't block. For every glimmer of "good arm" or "good option read" we showed "INT/overthrow" and "stuffed in the backfield". Really hard when you can't block, but I felt there was progress this week.

GT 18 first downs, Temple 17 first downs
GT 305 yards offense, Temple 322 yards offense

add on: Temple 24 GT 2 . This is the only thing that really matters.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The same people did it when they beat Maryland who turned to be a fraud.

They are middle of the road ACC team Imo

Probably true. Which gives reason to hope we will in fact win more games this year. I know we lost 24-2 but I still think we would play Temple even if we played them 10 times in a row.

Losing turnovers and getting none from the D was the biggest reason for the L. That and the incredible number of plays that went for one yard or less. Ugh...I need to stop thinking about the bad and focus on the good.

I still think we are on the right track on defense. I think big BA was set to have a great year before his untimely and tragic passing. And I can handle being mediocre on O if we are top 20 on D. It won’t win many championships but would get us in the running.

Think how much better we would be off right now with Adams on the Dline this year and Braun on the OLine. A lot imo.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
In the postgame show, they commented that Mason didn't go back into the game and that Kenny Cooper also was hurt (again/more) and unable to play a good bit last part of the game.

My take on Mason & Howard is they are too slow to run outside and their strength is up the middle. Unfortunately our O-line can't block up the middle. These RB's were recruited as fullback/Bbacks and now don't have what we need at the position. I would play Griffin and Oliver at RB and get the ball outside. This offense is about putting playmakers in space so we need our speed guys out on the edge, or catching screens or something to take pressure off the O-line.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
My take on Mason & Howard is they are too slow to run outside and their strength is up the middle. Unfortunately our O-line can't block up the middle. These RB's were recruited as fullback/Bbacks and now don't have what we need at the position. I would play Griffin and Oliver at RB and get the ball outside. This offense is about putting playmakers in space so we need our speed guys out on the edge, or catching screens or something to take pressure off the O-line.
Mason was working as an a back at times before. Doubt the speed is an issue with him

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I think we're talent rich at certain areas (particularly DB) and we lack the proper personnel at others (particularly OL). Note I'm not saying the OL are not talented, I'm saying they were recruited because their skillsets fit a certain system that may not apply easily to others. Looking at 247 you can see that Cooper, Hansen, Minihan, the Morgan Twins, Maye, Jump, and Clark didn't have any other P5 offers outside of GT. Jahaziel Lee was once committed to LSU (on defense, I think), but on 247 it doesn't list him as having any other P5 offers as well. Zach Quinney had 4 other P5 offers, Austin Smith had 10, and transfer Jack DeFoor had 11. That's everyone we have on scholarship that Johnson and Sewak recruited. Walk-on William Lay mentioned in an AJC article that he received recruiting interest from two schools, an NAIA school and GT, and he played 55 snaps against USF. I think we're asking for too much out of this group. GT in 2015 showed that even the best offensive minds can be stifled by an offensive line that cannot execute, and it typically only takes one weak link to blow up a play.

That’s pretty bad. Someone ought to compare star rankings of these guys to the other transition OL at the beginning of the CPJ era.
I would but I’m busy all day.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Much too early to make those kinds of comparisons but Coach Collins has the support of the players who seem to genuinely like him and his staff. Poor Bill Lewis was targeted almost from the start. Coach Collins and his players can still turn this thing around but they best get to it with UNC coming up. Strange that the much maligned old fogey at Chapel Hill does not seem to be having a lot of transition problems.

Can you really not see the difference in the transitions between UNC compared to us?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If no one has noticed by now, we just don't have a P5 level QB. We have P5 level athletes playing QB, but there's a difference. For instance, there's was a play where Blancato ran a tunnel screen on the right side (a play we use all the time on my flag football team). He was wide open and it would have been an easy 5-10 yard pick up. Tobias looked him down the whole way, but for some reason did not pull the trigger...and Blancato ran himself into coverage because we did not throw the ball. There were a few other plays our WRs were open but our QB will not/can not deliver the ball where we need to be. It wasn't pass blocking issue either...it's just execution on our QB's part. If you've heard the saying "He throws a nice ball, but he's not a passer.", well you're seeing first hand what people mean.

On top of that, our OL is patchworked together, and they were recruited for a different style of blocking.

The most important piece of an offense, the QB, and the most important unit, the OL, are not where they need to be to compete at the moment. That's something we have to accept because Trevor Lawrence and Alabama's OL are NOT walking through CGC's door this season.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There were a few other plays our WRs were open but our QB will not/can not deliver the ball where we need to be. It wasn't pass blocking issue either...it's just execution on our QB's part. If you've heard the saying "He throws a nice ball, but he's not a passer.", well you're seeing first hand what people mean.

On top of that, our OL is patchworked together, and they were recruited for a different style of blocking.

The most important piece of an offense, the QB, and the most important unit, the OL, are not where they need to be to compete at the moment. That's something we have to accept because Trevor Lawrence and Alabama's OL are NOT walking through CGC's door this season.

Excellent point. I do not know how many times the play was open but the ball was not put in place for the guy to catch the ball. One was a sideline route where our guy was 10 yards behind the secondary. And the ball was overthrown by 10 yards. Or a wide open TE in the second half. All you have to do is float the ball and it's a 15-20 yard pickup. We threw a bullet over the guys head and Murray commented that "not every throw has to b a fastball". This goes back to Nesbitt and all the guys who played for Paul. Byerly may have been the best or JT (if he had the pass pro).

I am of the opinion that things that require touch, such as playing QB or putting in golf, are something that one has to have inherently. It can be improved in everyone, like all skills through coaching and repetition but if you don't start with it naturally, you never really truly master it. There are a lot of golfers who can at the PGA level from tee to green but can't consistently get the ball in the hole to become a professional golfer. A kid like that played at my dad's club and then collegiately at OSU. Never made a dime at the professional level because he did not have the touch on or around the greens.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If no one has noticed by now, we just don't have a P5 level QB. We have P5 level athletes playing QB, but there's a difference.

I've been screaming this from day one but have been told repeatedly that our QBs were 'football players" and would be fine. A lot of those same people said it's easier to pass block than run block so our OL would be fine. When I said we'd be lucky to win 3-4 games I was called a hater. Now I think some are finally seeing what several of us tried to warn the board about. This is going to be a long 2-3 years. CGC needs to finish with a strong top 30 recruiting class this year and needs to be real close to a top 25 class net year. After that, he needs to start finishing in the top 20 routinely if we want to become relevant again and remain competitive. We will not be able to "out coach" the talent gap anymore.

If anyone ever had doubts about how good a coach CPJ was this year should put it to bed. We likely go 8 wins minimum with CPJ against this schedule, with a real possibility of winning 9 or 10. It's all about system fits, and right now, our players do not fit the current system.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've been screaming this from day one but have been told repeatedly that our QBs were 'football players" and would be fine. A lot of those same people said it's easier to pass block than run block so our OL would be fine. When I said we'd be lucky to win 3-4 games I was called a hater. Now I think some are finally seeing what several of us tried to warn the board about. This is going to be a long 2-3 years. CGC needs to finish with a strong top 30 recruiting class this year and needs to be real close to a top 25 class net year. After that, he needs to start finishing in the top 20 routinely if we want to become relevant again and remain competitive. We will not be able to "out coach" the talent gap anymore.

If anyone ever had doubts about how good a coach CPJ was this year should put it to bed. We likely go 8 wins minimum with CPJ against this schedule, with a real possibility of winning 9 or 10. It's all about system fits, and right now, our players do not fit the current system.

I'll be first in line to say I thought we'd be a LOT better than where we're at. Citadel and Temple should be wins. Instead we were a hustle play against USF from being winless right now. I had a LOT of faith in our QBs, but I did now OL would struggle. Both are struggling.

The most disappointing thing to me is we just don't seem to be doing anything on offense that tells me we have any progressional play calling in mind. We seem to be doing things willy nilly out there and hoping our guys are making individual plays. Our plays are not setting anything else up for better results, and our talent on offense isn't where guys can dominate individually.