Ted Roof's job

Jmonty71

Banned
Correct, but I pointed out a major flaw in DFEI as used to compare us to non-P5 schools. I am still awaiting a reasoned rebuttal from you on that.
Explain why being last on 3rd down is ok. You can take any set of numbers and pull what you want. I really grow tired of the aplogi
I love how VT "made horrible mistakes" as if our D had nothing to do with it.
VT's QB made some poor decisions. Not saying it wasn't due to the defense getting more aggressive. But, they were mistakes. Whether they were forced or not. I was happy to see some attack going on. We played ok. Some things could of been better, but we played well enough to win. If we attacked Pitt, like we attacked VT, we would of won. Same with Miami. We need to keep it up against UVA and the puppies.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Explain why being last on 3rd down is ok. You can take any set of numbers and pull what you want. I really grow tired of the aplogi

VT's QB made some poor decisions. Not saying it wasn't due to the defense getting more aggressive. But, they were mistakes. Whether they were forced or not. I was happy to see some attack going on. We played ok. Some things could of been better, but we played well enough to win. If we attacked Pitt, like we attacked VT, we would of won. Same with Miami. We need to keep it up against UVA and the puppies.

Again. We weren't arguing 3rd downs. You quoted DFEI and used it to compare us to non-P5 schools. I pointed out the flaw in that. You keep moving the goalposts on this one.

As for the "mistakes," our D didn't just "play well enough to win," we shut them down. We allowed two garbage time TDs once we were willing to surrender yardage/scores for time. Otherwise, we shut them down. As for their QB, when you're getting sacked 5 times and generally knocked around otherwise, those mistakes can be directly attributed to our D. We played more than "ok" and you know it. The problem is you've been so anti-CTR that you can't admit he coached a hell of a game against a top-15 team in their stadium.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Again. We weren't arguing 3rd downs. You quoted DFEI and used it to compare us to non-P5 schools. I pointed out the flaw in that. You keep moving the goalposts on this one.

As for the "mistakes," our D didn't just "play well enough to win," we shut them down. We allowed two garbage time TDs once we were willing to surrender yardage/scores for time. Otherwise, we shut them down. As for their QB, when you're getting sacked 5 times and generally knocked around otherwise, those mistakes can be directly attributed to our D. We played more than "ok" and you know it. The problem is you've been so anti-CTR that you can't admit he coached a hell of a game against a top-15 team in their stadium.

I just don't think Evans is as dynamic of a QB as some make him out to be. There is a reason why they are handicapping him during 3rd downs with throwing screens. Also, the Pitt game he threw a ton of fade/jump balls. He didn't really show a good deep ball all game against us. That fake screen pick was a poor throw but it also has a really low probability of being completed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I just don't think Evans is as dynamic of a QB as some make him out to be. There is a reason why they are handicapping him during 3rd downs with throwing screens. Also, the Pitt game he threw a ton of fade/jump balls. He didn't really show a good deep ball all game against us. That fake screen pick was a poor throw but it also has a really low probability of being completed.

Again, I am not arguing that Evans is an all world QB. He is, however, top 25 in total QBR, so he's not bad either. Our D just did a great job of making him scramble more than he i used to.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Again, I am not arguing that Evans is an all world QB. He is, however, top 25 in total QBR, so he's not bad either. Our D just did a great job of making him scramble more than he i used to.

I'm in complete agreement with you. Our D was playing fantastic the whole game till the middle of the 4th and from them on we were just trying to coast to victory. Kept everything in front of us and what not. D played great in the first half and benefitted from the O hanging onto the ball so long. Then second half I felt like the D definitely bent but didn't break and forced turnovers in the second half while the O struggled a little. If I'm not mistaken, we got all our sacks in the second half.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm in complete agreement with you. Our D was playing fantastic the whole game till the middle of the 4th and from them on we were just trying to coast to victory. Kept everything in front of us and what not. D played great in the first half and benefitted from the O hanging onto the ball so long. Then second half I felt like the D definitely bent but didn't break and forced turnovers in the second half while the O struggled a little. If I'm not mistaken, we got all our sacks in the second half.

Other than the opening TD drive in the second half, we pretty much shut them down. The last two TDs were "allowed" by GT in order to bleed time off the clock. Both were considered "garbage time" by S&P standards. I also think you are right about the TOP. When a D gets rest it plays better. We did a better job at milking the clock this game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Other than the opening TD drive in the second half, we pretty much shut them down. The last two TDs were "allowed" by GT in order to bleed time off the clock. Both were considered "garbage time" by S&P standards. I also think you are right about the TOP. When a D gets rest it plays better. We did a better job at milking the clock this game.

Let me amend this. Their 3rd QTR opening drive went 25 yards for a TD after a GT fumble gave them a short field. Our D pretty much stuffed them the entire game until garbage time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Let me amend this. Their 3rd QTR opening drive went 25 yards for a TD after a GT fumble gave them a short field. Our D pretty much stuffed them the entire game until garbage time.
I could not have been the only one sitting there thinking, with another big lead and another huge turnover, here we go again. But we didn't and that is encouraging moving to the rest of the season. Learning how to win is a big thing.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Ohhhhhhhh........ Hmmmmmmm.........

No. The D played with determination. They were ticked and you could see it.

Playing more of a base defense allowed them to unleash.

My in-law Mad Dog (apt nickname for a former linebacker turned Veterinarian...) says defense is all about attitude, effort, and desire. We saw that Saturday. But we are still not very good in D when push comes to shove. Talent matters. I congratulate the guys for a great, gutsy performance, but I won't be surprised to see us regress to the mean.

Jmonty71

Banned

And you've been so Pro-Roof that you beat your chest, just because we played one great game on the D side. We had a similar game last year against FSU, only to dwell back into the shadows. My statement is this, playing one great game on defense a year, does not make you DC of the freaking year. Where was this attacking when we played Miami and Pitt? We'd won those games, if the D played like they did. You move the goals around too. You look for whatever positive is there, regardless of how obscure. THE DFEI is a fairly well way to measure. It takes things out like garbage time, takes other factors out. Due to the fact that each conference is different, with different strengths, the DFEI, 3rd Down, PPD, PPP, overall points and overall yards will all be determined on who you played. Conference with offensive juggernauts will have less defensive teams, conferences with less offensive explosive teams will have better defensive teams. Just the way it is... The ACC is pretty well balanced. I'd tend to give a slight nod to better on offense. Yes, we pressured their QB. But, their QB made a really bad choice and an even worse throw during the INT. I said this once and I'll say it again. Turnovers CAN be forced. It can be forced with pressure, it can be forced by throwing something at the offense that they aren't ready for and they can be forced with ripping the ball out. Other than that...it's based on them making the mistake.

Jmonty71

Banned
The D showed up. Maybe the CTR haters can see that.
The D showed up.. However; the D showing up one game a year, isn't good enough. Hate or not... It's a fact. Let's see how the D does against UVA and UGA, then we'll talk about it. Prior to the VT game, did the D really shut any team (that wasn't already inept) down? BC and Vandy are pretty inept, sorry. UNC, Pitt, Miami, Duke?? Did the D shut any of those teams down? If they did, let me know. I must have watched the wrong game. Especially that UNC game. Roof lovers weren't beating their chests after that game, were they? So, why do it after ONE game??? Again, let's see how well the D does in the next 3 games. Bowl, now included.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
The D showed up.. However; the D showing up one game a year, isn't good enough. Hate or not... It's a fact. Let's see how the D does against UVA and UGA, then we'll talk about it. Prior to the VT game, did the D really shut any team (that wasn't already inept) down? BC and Vandy are pretty inept, sorry. UNC, Pitt, Miami, Duke?? Did the D shut any of those teams down? If they did, let me know. I must have watched the wrong game. Especially that UNC game. Roof lovers weren't beating their chests after that game, were they? So, why do it after ONE game??? Again, let's see how well the D does in the next 3 games. Bowl, now included.

Agree..
The D played well, they did. I saw some saying he "redeemed" himself....Really??
But we gonna hang our hat on one game? CTR has to do that for 3 more and that will be the test.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And you've been so Pro-Roof that you beat your chest, just because we played one great game on the D side. We had a similar game last year against FSU, only to dwell back into the shadows. My statement is this, playing one great game on defense a year, does not make you DC of the freaking year. Where was this attacking when we played Miami and Pitt? We'd won those games, if the D played like they did. You move the goals around too. You look for whatever positive is there, regardless of how obscure. THE DFEI is a fairly well way to measure. It takes things out like garbage time, takes other factors out. Due to the fact that each conference is different, with different strengths, the DFEI, 3rd Down, PPD, PPP, overall points and overall yards will all be determined on who you played. Conference with offensive juggernauts will have less defensive teams, conferences with less offensive explosive teams will have better defensive teams. Just the way it is... The ACC is pretty well balanced. I'd tend to give a slight nod to better on offense. Yes, we pressured their QB. But, their QB made a really bad choice and an even worse throw during the INT. I said this once and I'll say it again. Turnovers CAN be forced. It can be forced with pressure, it can be forced by throwing something at the offense that they aren't ready for and they can be forced with ripping the ball out. Other than that...it's based on them making the mistake.

This is where you really need to reread my posts. I am not pro-Roof. I am just not anti-Roof. I have stipulated throughout that the D is bad, and it's on him to fix it. I am just not ready to tar and feather the guy until he gets his DL matured. That should be answered by the end of next year. If Saturday was an indication, we might be in good shape.

But again, I go back to your original post:

Just an update to FEI. We are now 117 out of 128 schools. Schools better than us. Buffalo, New Mexico, Middle Tennessee, South Alabama, Kansas, South Florida, Georgia State, Temple, SMU, Vandy and Wake Forrest. Now go ahead and tell me that those schools are recruit better and have better talent.

You used DFEI to make comparisons to non-P5 schools. When called out on the fallacy behind that, you have reverted to every other stat you can use to trash our D. I get it. Our D is bad, but that doesn't refute the argument I posed.

BTW, a couple of other points:

1. This isn't the only great game on D we have played this year.
2. The ACC is loaded with offenses. 5 teams in the top-25 in OFEI with UNC at 31.
3. The QB made poor choices because he had no time to make good ones. Credit to the D.
4. DFEI is a great stat, when used in context. You weren't using it in context.
5. No one is coronating CTR as DC of the year. They ARE, however, crediting him with the D performance. You can't saddle him with all the blame for poor performances and refuse to credit him with great ones.

Jmonty71

Banned
This is where you really need to reread my posts. I am not pro-Roof. I am just not anti-Roof. I have stipulated throughout that the D is bad, and it's on him to fix it. I am just not ready to tar and feather the guy until he gets his DL matured. That should be answered by the end of next year. If Saturday was an indication, we might be in good shape.

But again, I go back to your original post:

You used DFEI to make comparisons to non-P5 schools. When called out on the fallacy behind that, you have reverted to every other stat you can use to trash our D. I get it. Our D is bad, but that doesn't refute the argument I posed.

BTW, a couple of other points:

1. This isn't the only great game on D we have played this year.
2. The ACC is loaded with offenses. 5 teams in the top-25 in OFEI with UNC at 31.
3. The QB made poor choices because he had no time to make good ones. Credit to the D.
4. DFEI is a great stat, when used in context. You weren't using it in context.
5. No one is coronating CTR as DC of the year. They ARE, however, crediting him with the D performance. You can't saddle him with all the blame for poor performances and refuse to credit him with great ones.
The DFEI is one of the better ways to measure a defense. Just like the OFEI is a great way to measure offense. I do agree that the ACC is pretty well balanced to leaning towards more offensive. I also agree that the poor choices were by the pressure. I posted that turnovers can be forced, weeks ago. That only proves that I was right. You can't make the other team turn it over, but you sure can manipulate it. Again, where was this D all year? Sorry, you cannot compare BC's offense to VT's offense. Vandy is too one dimensional to compare to VT. If you've seen VT all year, this was (by far) their worst outing on offense. Part of it was our D and part of it was that they were just off. We have off games on offense... Other teams do also. Not saying the D didn't play great. Because they did. However; VT didn't play to their fullest potential either. That's what I'm trying to say. It was good to see an upset from us. Hopefully, we carry some momentum into UVA and UGA and win out the rest of the year. Go Jackets!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

GT shut Miami down for most of the game. We held them to 1-7 on third down. Had it not been for their 2 defensive fumble return TDs, we most likely win that game and people would have credited CTR for that game as well.

The second half defensive performance against Clemson was a thing of great beauty. Clemson has a pretty stout offense too.

The GaSo game was sound defensively as well. GaSo scored two garbage time TDs, per S&P standards, to make the score/stats look worse than they were, but we dominated them on D that game.

Duke the D was solid until the turnovers and offensive missteps in the beginning of the second half hurt us. They tightened back down when they needed to.