Ted Roof's job

Cam

Helluva Engineer
This is a 39 page thread, so I am sure someone has mentioned this... but I'll still bring it up. I did a quick search on current successful defensive coordinators and I don't see why we couldn't poach someone away. A few examples: Colorado's defense is great this year and they just hired their DC, Jim Leavitt, for $500,000/year in 2015. Washington's defense has been great the last couple years (top 15 FEI) since they hired Pete Kwiatkowski and they just gave him a raise to $600,000/year. App State hired their DC, Nate Woody, in 2013 and since having moved up to the Sun Belt they went from 81st nationally in DFEI in 2014 to 11th in 2015 and 22nd in 2016. He gets paid $175,000/year. Ted Roof is among the top paid assistant coaches at $750,000. We may not get a big proven name into GT, but there are plenty of guys who are doing more with less who would happily take that $750,000 salary.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
This is a 39 page thread, so I am sure someone has mentioned this... but I'll still bring it up. I did a quick search on current successful defensive coordinators and I don't see why we couldn't poach someone away. A few examples: Colorado's defense is great this year and they just hired their DC, Jim Leavitt, for $500,000/year in 2015. Washington's defense has been great the last couple years (top 15 FEI) since they hired Pete Kwiatkowski and they just gave him a raise to $600,000/year. App State hired their DC, Nate Woody, in 2013 and since having moved up to the Sun Belt they went from 81st nationally in DFEI in 2014 to 11th in 2015 and 22nd in 2016. He gets paid $175,000/year. Ted Roof is among the top paid assistant coaches at $750,000. We may not get a big proven name into GT, but there are plenty of guys who are doing more with less who would happily take that $750,000 salary.
I wish that there were a button for love, as like does not accurately describe my feelings for this post

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Going into tomorrow's VT game, all I can say is that Roof should have been fired after the Pitt game. I wanted Roof to succeed and be our next HC. I was wrong.

Now the poor defensive play is on CPJ for not getting rid of Roof or getting a better DC on the third try.

I'm sympathetic to this largely because it seems that we're having the same problems as the last couple of years and haven't done anything obvious to improve "disguise" and "disrupt." That being said, I don't think we have anybody on staff that I'd trust to call plays more than Roof.

Duke hired a new DL coach and improved their pass rush pretty significantly in one season. We need to upgrade staff as coaches beyond just coordinator imo.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm sympathetic to this largely because it seems that we're having the same problems as the last couple of years and haven't done anything obvious to improve "disguise" and "disrupt." That being said, I don't think we have anybody on staff that I'd trust to call plays more than Roof.

Duke hired a new DL coach and improved their pass rush pretty significantly in one season. We need to upgrade staff as coaches beyond just coordinator imo.
None of that matters when your DL's with talent are freshmen and sophs.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if you'll be yawning Sat when they're getting stone walled again every snap and VT is picking us apart and rolling up the score board.

No. I think it's coaching. You think it's players. It is okay that you and I have different views on the situation, but I'm not interested in arguing with you about it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No. I think it's coaching. You think it's players. It is okay that you and I have different views on the situation, but I'm not interested in arguing with you about it.
Not really, I think its both. You think it's coaching. Even with better coaching we still stink, just not as bad.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I admit I don't go back and review game film. I will also say it doesn't seem like our DL stunt much at all and should. Most of the other scheme criticisms seem pretty bogus to me.

Critics have said we never play tight coverage....I've seen us try and fail. Critics say we never try to disguise our blitzes...I've seen us try quite a bit....critics say we only blitz LBs....I've seen safety and corner blitzes...critics say we never blitz all out....I've seen us try and fail.....critics say the wrong players are getting reps and player "X" should play more....then player "X" gets reps and we see same results mostly. The only thing I really agree with is criticisms with results.....which are pretty awful.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
I admit I don't go back and review game film. I will also say it doesn't seem like our DL stunt much at all and should. Most of the other scheme criticisms seem pretty bogus to me.

Critics have said we never play tight coverage....I've seen us try and fail. Critics say we never try to disguise our blitzes...I've seen us try quite a bit....critics say we only blitz LBs....I've seen safety and corner blitzes...critics say we never blitz all out....I've seen us try and fail.....critics say the wrong players are getting reps and player "X" should play more....then player "X" gets reps and we see same results mostly. The only thing I really agree with is criticisms with results.....which are pretty awful.

Problem is when we blitz it doesn't appear we are successful at bumping receivers at the line and the third read is open more times than not open. Which is problematic because when you blitz the qb he shouldn't have time to get to his third read but more times than not when we blitz the qb he still has time to go through his progressions. #disaster

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I want to know how the defense has gotten worse over the season. You can't tell me we haven't gotten worse. If we played Clemson now we'd give up 4,333,999,222,123.5 points.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, for me the issue is how can we be performing so much worse than programs who do not seem to recruit better than we do (or who recruit equally as poorly as we do, if you prefer)?

Are Wake Forest's defensive athletes *that* much better than ours? Duke's? Northwestern's? Heck, pick just anyone no name Texas Tech or Purdue and they are doing better than we are defensively....I am truly shocked if you are telling me our recruiting has dropped off to being *that* bad.

Ergo, coaching has got to have a ton to do with it. Maybe the talent isn't great (it isn't) BUT the coach is supposed to put his athletes in the best position to perform, to play schemes that maximize our chances. It looks to me like we coach the way we want to play as if we had SEC level talent, and then cry because we don't have the talent to play defense.