Ted Roof's job

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
Bobby Dodd once quipped that it was the HC's job to put butts in the seats. You have to win, you have to promote your team, and you have to get the community behind it.

Schools like Auburn and Alabama (I'm a 'bama boy) have a built in fan base. But they still try to reach the communities and build a sense of pride.

I listened to CPJ's recap of the game and saying "We missed assignments, we missed tackles, we missed everything" is not going to endear anyone.

Saban speaks like a CEO and watches his words. Sure, he gets pissed, but it goes more like this "Our boys played hard, but we have to get better. There's a lot we can work on to get this team really working well. Glad you came to the game."

GTAA's communications director should be coaching Coach.
Could not disagree more. Probably the best part of CPJ's persona is how plain-spoken he is. He tells it like it is, for better or worse. I happen to be one of the people who thinks he doesn't accept enough blame for the mishaps on the field... but I think his personality is great.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
but I think his personality is great.

Sorry. He is plain spoken but so is a rattlesnake.

CPJ is in charge of the football program and that includes how it is perceived publicly. I think he could do a better job getting the media on our side. You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

That's all I meant.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Sorry. He is plain spoken but so is a rattlesnake.

CPJ is in charge of the football program and that includes how it is perceived publicly. I think he could do a better job getting the media on our side. You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

That's all I meant.

When was the last time the media was on our side? I don't think changing coaches will have any impact whatsoever on media perception of GT in this SEC crazed market.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When was the last time the media was on our side? I don't think changing coaches will have any impact whatsoever on media perception of GT in this SEC crazed market.

I didn't say change coaches. I said he could do a better job engaging with the media.

Now ... I am NO FAN of the AJC. The AJC has historical hate relationship with Tech that goes back over a hundred years, Furman Bisher being the exception.

But really? Would it kill Tech to engage the media better? When was the last time Tech engaged with the Macon Telegraph? The Savannah Morning News? Outside of ATL, we're invisible. Christ, we have a campus in Savannah ... and who knew?

You don't always have be curt. Sometimes, being courteous with good manners gets a lot. We need every bit of good press we can get.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say change coaches. I said he could do a better job engaging with the media.

Now ... I am NO FAN of the AJC. The AJC has historical hate relationship with Tech that goes back over a hundred years, Furman Bisher being the exception.

But really? Would it kill Tech to engage the media better? When was the last time Tech engaged with the Macon Telegraph? The Savannah Morning News? Outside of ATL, we're invisible. Christ, we have a campus in Savannah ... and who knew?

You don't always have be curt. Sometimes, being courteous with good manners gets a lot. We need every bit of good press we can get.

Tech gets very good coverage in the Macon Telegraph. Don't know about Savannah, haven't lived there in many years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I don't think CPJ is near as gruff as is portrayed.I also think CPJ would be more than willing to engage with any media outlet, but that's not his job to line that up. The Macon Telegraph used to give us a decent bit of coverage, but have slowly become more mutt-centric. The AC here in Augusta lives and dies by the mutts. Same with Savannah. That job belongs to the GTAA, not CPJ.

He's also in a no win position. If he were to be "courteous" in his replies, the same fans that rip him for being gruff would change the narrative to "he doesn't care enough." I just don't think how the media portrays us, good or bad, is going to change regardless of the coach or how said coach interacts with them. They write stories to sell to their subscribers. It's a business these days, not journalism.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Don't know about Savannah, haven't lived there in many years.

I tried to find mention's of Tech in Savannah without success. Sad too ... we have a satellite campus there. Lots of alumni in the region too.

Did you know it was John Fletcher Hanson of Macon that pushed to create Tech? Of course, he owned the Macon Telegraph and was at war with the AJC ... lots of bad blood spilt over the history.

Tech gets very good coverage in the Macon Telegraph. Don't know about Savannah, haven't lived there in many years.
Augusta gets virtually no coverage, but it was like that long before CPJ arrived at Tech. I even got away with sending a "George P. Burdell" letter to the editor about 15 years ago complaining about the coverage. All I got in response was a complaint that I had sent them a letter with a false name; nothing changed as a result of it.

I tried to find mention's of Tech in Savannah without success. Sad too ... we have a satellite campus there. Lots of alumni in the region too.

Did you know it was John Fletcher Hanson of Macon that pushed to create Tech? Of course, he owned the Macon Telegraph and was at war with the AJC ... lots of bad blood spilt over the history.
The Savannah paper is owned by the same people who own the Augusta paper, and they are LONG TIME mutt homers.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Actually I did know that about Mr. Hanson :)

I don't think CPJ is near as gruff as is portrayed.I also think CPJ would be more than willing to engage with any media outlet, but that's not his job to line that up. The Macon Telegraph used to give us a decent bit of coverage, but have slowly become more mutt-centric. The AC here in Augusta lives and dies by the mutts. Same with Savannah. That job belongs to the GTAA, not CPJ.

He's also in a no win position. If he were to be "courteous" in his replies, the same fans that rip him for being gruff would change the narrative to "he doesn't care enough." I just don't think how the media portrays us, good or bad, is going to change regardless of the coach or how said coach interacts with them. They write stories to sell to their subscribers. It's a business these days, not journalism.
This has nothing to do with the media, other than the fact that they have apparently ignored this, but all you have to do is look at the video of him at the Yellow Jacket pizza party that Tech threw for the kid who threw a tantrum about the pizza his mom ordered being in a box decorated with Georgia logos. Johnson was pretty damn cool with that kid.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I just don't think how the media portrays us, good or bad, is going to change regardless of the coach or how said coach interacts with them.

My last comment on this topic.

I totally disagree.

I ran a very large business in a very large city and it was one that had a terrible local reputation. No, we didn't pollute the rivers, but it did not have a great reputation. So yes, as the executive, I met with the tv stations and the newspapers, took key reporters to dinner, sent them press packets and yes - woo'd them.

It worked. Over time, the vitriol declined, the number of positive press mentions improved and ultimately, became good friends.

Lincoln once said, the best thing you can do with your enemy, is to make him your friend.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Bobby Dodd once quipped that it was the HC's job to put butts in the seats. You have to win, you have to promote your team, and you have to get the community behind it.

Schools like Auburn and Alabama (I'm a 'bama boy) have a built in fan base. But they still try to reach the communities and build a sense of pride.

I listened to CPJ's recap of the game and saying "We missed assignments, we missed tackles, we missed everything" is not going to endear anyone.

Saban speaks like a CEO and watches his words. Sure, he gets pissed, but it goes more like this "Our boys played hard, but we have to get better. There's a lot we can work on to get this team really working well. Glad you came to the game."

GTAA's communications director should be coaching Coach.

Interesting comment! I spoke to a former player from the 80's this past weekend. His concern centered on your first paragraph, that CPJ doesn't make enough outreach to the community to help build the fan base. He openly asked how can we in a metro area of 6.5M not fill a stadium of 50K during home games.

I like what the basketball coach is doing thus far with respect to overall outreach and believe it will translate to the Thrillerdome being filled for every game in a few years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My last comment on this topic.

I totally disagree.

I ran a very large business in a very large city and it was one that had a terrible local reputation. No, we didn't pollute the rivers, but it did not have a great reputation. So yes, as the executive, I met with the tv stations and the newspapers, took key reporters to dinner, sent them press packets and yes - woo'd them.

It worked. Over time, the vitriol declined, the number of positive press mentions improved and ultimately, became good friends.

Lincoln once said, the best thing you can do with your enemy, is to make him your friend.

One thing I have noticed about your posts, and find refreshing, is your application of common sense business and marketing ideas/strategies to our situation. For the most part, I think you make salient points. The only reason I disagree on the media aspect is because I think you are ignoring the fanatical behind the fan. Changing perception of a business is possible when you are dealing with a normal population. Present facts with courtesy and most reasonable people will consider them fairly. The issue with sports is that reasonable is not a word you can commonly associate with fans of any stripe. No matter how good uga might or might not be, not a single GT fan will ever admit to it. The reverse is true for uga fans. With the media propping up the SEC dominance narrative, (Tennessee is still getting votes in the polls), reason was left behind long ago. Newspapers are mainly concerned with profit, and there is not much profit to be made in pandering to smaller schools like GT.

The best example is Jeff Schultz of the AJC. Just a few weeks ago he was on a podcast with CPJ and you could tell by everyone's demeanor that they all get along. It was a jovial and very insightful look into our head coach and things that went on at GT over the years. Two-three weeks later Schultz is ripping CPJ in the paper for allowing our D to be as bad as it is. It has nothing to do with politeness. I mean, Kirby Smart has been the polar opposite of CMR yet they still drool over the dwags.

So, while I tend to generally agree with your points, these reasons above are why I don't think you will see the media change a whit no matter who interfaces with them or how it's done.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So, while I tend to generally agree with your points, these reasons above are why I don't think you will see the media change a whit no matter who interfaces with them or how it's done.

You may be right about the fanatics. I went to Northpoint Mall to buy a Tech ball cap and they didn't have any. No demand.

But ... the AJC clearly covers Tech. How much would it hurt to try and have cordial relations? Tech is hugely important to the region and sometimes it helps to reinforce that. Not to mention a decent population of Tech alumni. Rent a steakhouse, invite a bunch of a Tech alumni and talk football, and throw a bone to Ken, Jeff and Mark. Total cost is $1-2k. That's a great start to a booster club.

And re Jeff Schultz, I would've called him up and asked, "wtf?". I do for you and you don't do for me? He'll get it or he won't.

I was in Luziana many years ago attending a shindig. A big shindig. And it was made very clear that invites are for friends. And friends support us. And if you don't support us, we'll ... don't come back.

Or Tennessee. Back when I lived in Knoxville, it was not uncommon to go shopping and see the Vols at the Mall, downtown, or other events building goodwill. Lots and lots of outreach.

Wishful thinking maybe.