Ted Roof

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
CM,

it will interesting to see what you think after next yr when he won't have SIX SRS and 2 JRs playing on DEF-- THIS should have been his big yr to carry team,we knew OFF would struggle,the OFFhas been carrying the DEF for yrs with high scoring and TOP.

There is a big difference between carrying a team and being on the field for 35+ minutes a game. No defense that plays that long plays well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Problem is those great DL don't grow on trees. Like it or not. Want to fire Roof or not. UVA was a preview of next year without Gotsis n Hunt. We will have guys who can play but they may not be able to disrupt the way Gotsis has. Hopefully we can get more edge rush from the ends.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I just wish we would get more aggressive, and run some more exotic blitz packages, and coverages. We play such a simple D that's easy to pick apart most of the time. It's a bend but don't break style D, only problem is we break.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Would you guys that want more blitzing have blitzed more vs UVA?
I would - fire the corners on the wild cat formation and the zone read plays.

Is your point that not blitzing had little to do with not getting UVA off the field? I would agree with that point to an extent. We over pursued and took ourselves out of a lot of plays.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Sad fact but interesting none the less, from the AJC - "Tech has now given up 200 yards rushing in five games this season, more than any Tech defense has given up in a season going back at least through the 2000 season. "

And think we have at least three more games this season. Sure hope we don't go beyond the 5 games... with Gotsis appearing to be gone for the season, the total could get worse.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Would you guys that want more blitzing have blitzed more vs UVA?
I'm more worried about exotic blitz, not so much how many times. The blitz packages we use for the most part are so predictable. Even on the D line I wish we did more stunts, and things like that.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I don't buy the idea that the poor offense should dictate a more conservative defense. We don't have the personnel to play a conservative defense. Our best chance to win is to go very aggressive and let the chips fall where they may. Being conservative is just a slow death.

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't buy the idea that the poor offense should dictate a more conservative defense. We don't have the personnel to play a conservative defense. Our best chance to win is to go very aggressive and let the chips fall where they may. Being conservative is just a slow death.

Agreed 100%. We're not winning playing conservative. What would it hurt?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CM,

it will interesting to see what you think after next yr when he won't have SIX SRS and 2 JRs playing on DEF-- THIS should have been his big yr to carry team,we knew OFF would struggle,the OFFhas been carrying the DEF for yrs with high scoring and TOP.
Ala, nobody thought the O would struggle. Plug and play, remember...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
UNC is currently #126 in time of possession and #19 in pnt/drive allowed vs pwr 5 opponents.

UNC is currently 59th in defensive efficiency. GT is ranked 55th.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/defEfficiency/tab/efficiency

Football outsiders has UNC ranked 70th in Defensive FEI. GT is ranked 75th.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

Some perspective is in order, however. UNC has done this against the 81st ranked SoS in the nation. GT has put up comparable numbers against the 12th ranked SoS.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

I'll stand by my assertion that no team that plays real opponents plays good defense when they are on the field for 35 minutes per game.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
In general, I think Roof has the kids in the right place. Perhaps we need more emphasis on sound tackling during the Spring, because that's been the biggest problem for us.